PDA

View Full Version : Soft elastic for hair ties?

Melaine
05-10-2011, 01:59 PM
I know I should just buy them, probably, but I feel it's a waste of money to buy something like this already made when I could get the elastic and cut it as needed. Does anyone know where to buy this soft elastic for hair ties? Like this:http://www.etsy.com/listing/69417619/the-spring-package-6-elastic-tie-dye?ref=sr_gallery_4&ga_search_query=soft+hair+tie&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=
or this:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/72659176/new-set-of-4-elastic-hair-ties-pretty-in?ref=sr_gallery_23&ga_search_query=soft+hair+tie&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=

Is there a specific name for this kind of elastic?

ellies mom
05-10-2011, 02:30 PM
I would try Joanns in the notions department.

But before you think it is a waste of money, unless you are not dying them or only dying them in one or two colors, it may be more cost effective to buy them off Etsy because you are looking at least 1/2 yard of elastic per headband probably more plus the cost of whatever you are using for dye.

DrSally
05-10-2011, 02:41 PM
IDK, I bought some off Etsy for about $1 each. Your girls have curly hair, right? I think it would work better w/ curly hair. They slip out of my relatively thick/wavy hair.

roobee
05-10-2011, 04:32 PM
It's called FOE (fold over elastic)

ABO Mama
05-10-2011, 04:44 PM
I do a bit of sewing and have found FOE here (http://verybaby.com/ecom-catshow/elastics.html) and on ebay.

WatchingThemGrow
05-10-2011, 04:47 PM
They have them at Nordstrom for $5 and $7/3pack. I wondered if they would really work or if they would just go over a ponytail holder.

Melaine
05-10-2011, 04:49 PM
I would try Joanns in the notions department.

But before you think it is a waste of money, unless you are not dying them or only dying them in one or two colors, it may be more cost effective to buy them off Etsy because you are looking at least 1/2 yard of elastic per headband probably more plus the cost of whatever you are using for dye.

Why would it take 1/2 yard? I'm just talking about the wrist-size ones....am I missing something? You may be right, and I might just go with etsy after all though...

Melaine
05-10-2011, 04:50 PM
It's called FOE (fold over elastic)

Thanks!!! That is what I was looking for.

Melaine
05-10-2011, 04:51 PM
They have them at Nordstrom for $5 and $7/3pack. I wondered if they would really work or if they would just go over a ponytail holder.

We don't have Nordstrom (I know, it's NUTS!)

See, I thought they were in place of a ponytail holder all together and I was imagining that they would not get tangled and caught in the girls hair like most rubber bands do. I guess I should try one before I get gung-hu on making them though!

Sorry I still don't know how to multi-quote!

m448
05-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Yup foe and ummm, wow she's really gone for rustic just tieing a knot. I use for for diapers and it can get fuzzy/ravel-prone at the ends especially if washed.

Melaine
05-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Yup foe and ummm, wow she's really gone for rustic just tieing a knot.

I know, right? I guess something in me just rebels at buying a craft that involves only one knot....even if I have to spend more, I'll tie my own knots thank you very much. LOL.

ellies mom
05-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Why would it take 1/2 yard? I'm just talking about the wrist-size ones....am I missing something? You may be right, and I might just go with etsy after all though...

I'm sorry, I imagined it as more headband size.

And I really chaff at spending money on those types of things too. Of course I never get around to making them either.

etaylor75
05-10-2011, 06:40 PM
A lot of listings for fold over elastic on Etsy too...

http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type=all&includes%5B0%5D=materials&search_query=fold+over+elastic&page=1&ref=related

I would imagine a little fray-check on the ends would keep these looking great!

Erin

DrSally
05-10-2011, 11:18 PM
YEah, I'm sure they use fray check. Mine have not frayed. I use them if I want a really loose hold, or I could use them over a goody elastic.