PDA

View Full Version : Need some WWYD/ BTDT advice on how to quit a job! (Long, but desperate for help!)

ha98ed14
05-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Nice problem to have these days, I know!

My BFF has been offered a new job; she countered asking for more money and is waiting to hear what they have to say. But even if they come back and say, the original offer is the best we can do, she is still gonna take the new job. The problem now becomes how to leave her current one of 5 years.

The dysfunction of this current office would make your head spin, but the quick and dirty is that she works at a Univ in a high ed admin office directly serving students. The director of BFF's office, (call her C), is a manipulative b!tch who will move between on the extremes of having no idea what her staff is doing for weeks and then randomly demanding detailed work plans from everyone and micromanaging random aspects of their projects. (She does this to everyone, not just my BFF.) C feels threatened by other professionals in her office and does everything in her office to keep them down. She takes credit for their work when they are recognized by colleagues within the higher ed administration community of professionals.

Six months ago, another professional from my BFF's office (call her R) took a job at another college within the same university system. R had negotiated her start date and given C a month's notice that she was leaving. C actually called up R's new supervisor and told him that R would not be available to start for another 6 weeks. R's new boss agreed! I am not completely clear on why, but perhaps because R's new boss and C are in the same position, just at different schools, and the political fall out of stealing a worker would have been too great. But the point remains the same; what C did was entirely inappropriate. It was up to R to negotiate her new job. C should have NO SAY in the matter! R gave a month's notice, which is more than professional courtesy demands.

This brings me to my BFF. BFF is also moving to a corresponding office at a 3rd school within the system, but into a higher position. We are desperately afraid that C will do exactly what she did to R. The only ray of hope is that there is no one in a directly parallel position to C or R's new boss at the 3rd school where BFF is moving, so to pull what she did to R,C would have to call the provost, which is a higher position than C.

So the question is, How much notice does BFF give? She does NOT want to burn bridges as she will be possibly seeing colleagues from her current office at future meetings, conferences, etc. She might even have to work with them on univ. system-wide projects. But at the same time, BFF does not want C to be able to manipulate her fresh start in her new job. C is like a specter that reaches out from beyond the grave to make life he11. But if C wanted to, she could possibly do the same thing to BFF that she did to R by going to the provost of the 3rd univ. She might have that much political clout; we are not sure. Given all that, how much notice would you give? Is there anything BFF can do to prevent being under C's thumb in the matter of changing jobs? FWIW, once BFF is out of there, she never has to report directly to C again.

khalloc
05-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Wow, thats crazy. Is it possible for your BFF to tell whoever is hiring her about what C did to a previous employee who switched jobs? That way there your BFF can let the hiring manager know that she wants to start her new position on the agreed upon date, and not have C decide her start date for her. Thats just awful...

ha98ed14
05-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Wow, thats crazy. Is it possible for your BFF to tell whoever is hiring her about what C did to a previous employee who switched jobs? That way there your BFF can let the hiring manager know that she wants to start her new position on the agreed upon date, and not have C decide her start date for her. Thats just awful...

We thought of that, but we weren't sure if it would make BFF look weak, like she couldn't handle herself professionally, or like she was a tattle tale. WDYT?

maylips
05-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Does the new boss know of C professionally? If so, it may make the conversation go easier.

wellyes
05-10-2011, 03:16 PM
A month's notice is far too much when dealing with a wackadoo. Two week's notice is appropriate. I would write a subdued, very short paper letter to hand to the boss's ... "I'm writing to inform you that I have accepted a new position. My last day here will be May 20. It's been a great pleasure to work with you; I've learned so much; yada yada."

Don't warn the new boss. If the old boss calls the new boss, it's crossing a line and I'm pretty sure the new boss would hold that against the OLD boss, not his new employee.

weech
05-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Maybe I missed something, but I'm not sure why C has to know where your BFF is going. Is it a publicly announced position? If so, can she request that it not be announced until her start date?

I was in a similarly oppressive/toxic work environment and when I left, I gave two weeks notice and never looked back. I didn't give any information about where I was going b/c I got the new job through a former colleague who quit (on quite bad terms) due to the toxic environment. hah! I also have to see/work with former colleagues in various ways and I didn't want to burn any bridges.

Anyhow, best of luck to your friend! :thumbsup:

octmom
05-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Wow. I guess I'm glad to know there are crazy people in higher ed administration everywhere, not just where I work. :wink2:

In your friend's shoes, I think I would speak to the new boss and say that I intend to give four weeks notice at my current position which will allow me to tie up loose ends there and transition my projects to other members of the staff. I would go on to say that there may be some pressure to give more time, but that I am confident that four weeks will be ample to get everything in order and that I hope the new boss will understand if I need to be available by phone or e-mail to my former colleagues for a short time to answer any questions they may have after they begin their work on my former projects.

I think this sort of approach demonstrates to the new boss that my work ethic is strong and also that I have a plan in place.

mikala
05-10-2011, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't say anything and let the chips fall where they may since it isn't certain C will have any pull with your friend's new boss. Absolute worst case scenario C negotiates a few more weeks out of the employer to keep your friend. After that your friend will still be free.

I'd give whatever amount of notice is standard in her industry and give the subdued letter as PP mentioned.

I don't know how your friend could warn a potential employer that her current boss might come talk to them without sounding vindictive or political.

ssjarrett
05-10-2011, 03:26 PM
This is my former career field too, before I "retired" to be a SAHM--fun to see it here.

In this case, I'd just give two weeks notice, but be sure that I had my programs, projects, etc. together in a way they could be easily picked up by my replacement, which will probably be the former boss or someone else in the office, unless her school is able to do a search very quickly!

That way, at least the students would have a smoother transition and not be left in the lurch too much by her departure. But, in the end, I think two weeks notice is enough to be professional--there is always more you can do when you leave a job like this...it never really ends! I think offering more notice than two weeks will mean she may be expected to get the next six months worth of stuff done before going!

I would not worry about the old boss calling the new one...cross that bridge if it happens...new boss is probably very anxious for her to start working for them too! Summer is usually prime planning time.

Good luck to your friend!

KrisM
05-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Maybe I missed something, but I'm not sure why C has to know where your BFF is going. Is it a publicly announced position? If so, can she request that it not be announced until her start date?

Unless it is to a direct competitor, I'd never say where I was going if I was quitting a job.

I agree - 2 weeks notice is plenty to give. No other information is required. If C does call around trying to figure out where your friend is going, she'll look nutty. If she does call the new boss, I'd have your friend call the new boss and tell her that she is still available on the original start date. I wouldn't let C bully me into staying longer.

TwinFoxes
05-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Maybe I missed something, but I'm not sure why C has to know where your BFF is going. Is it a publicly announced position?

Same here, I don't quite get it. I would give two weeks notice. If asked directly, I'd say "I'd prefer not to talk about it just yet" and give some vague "confidentiality" reason. Which for all C knows is true, when I was a manager, we asked our candidate not to say anything until after we had a chance to let the other finalists know.

I agree - 2 weeks notice is plenty to give. No other information is required. If C does call around trying to figure out where your friend is going, she'll look nutty. If she does call the new boss, I'd have your friend call the new boss and tell her that she is still available on the original start date. I wouldn't let C bully me into staying longer.

:yeahthat:

Moneypenny
05-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Wow. I guess I'm glad to know there are crazy people in higher ed administration everywhere, not just where I work. :wink2:

In your friend's shoes, I think I would speak to the new boss and say that I intend to give four weeks notice at my current position which will allow me to tie up loose ends there and transition my projects to other members of the staff. I would go on to say that there may be some pressure to give more time, but that I am confident that four weeks will be ample to get everything in order and that I hope the new boss will understand if I need to be available by phone or e-mail to my former colleagues for a short time to answer any questions they may have after they begin their work on my former projects.

I think this sort of approach demonstrates to the new boss that my work ethic is strong and also that I have a plan in place.

I would do this. I also work in higher ed admin and, in my experience, particularly when new boss and current boss know each other (which they almost always do), it is not at all uncommon for the employee to have very little say in their end/start date. The bosses seem to believe they are the ones to work it out. It's even happened to me! I find it completely odd, but there ya go!