PDA

View Full Version : What could this be? (lethargy)

Globetrotter
05-10-2011, 04:27 PM
I've been reading other threads with interest and wanted to get feedback about something.

For years I WAH part time in my field and related projects, volunteered lots, did all sort of home projects, all without dh around much (he was always working). I could get by on 5-6 hours of sleep and had the energy to function just fine. My friends were amazed by my energy. A year ago that all changed. You'd think I'd have more energy because my PT gig ended, dh has cut back his work hours for the past couple of years, kids are older, etc.. but I got to the point where I was sleeping a lot during the day and not getting much done. I could manage getting through the day and doing what had to get done, but I was struggling with my energy levels. Oddly enough, during this time I could barely write or even proofread my friend's website (something I could easily do before).
Another friend needed help with an essay, and I struggled to do it, whereas over the years I have helped numerous friends and family members with such projects (one of my strengths) and, heck, I got paid to write! It was quite disconcerting.. though of course that didn't stop me from posting on the BBB :)

When this started, i was walking a lot to train for a race (walking) so I figured that was sucking my energy. Plus, let's face it, I turned 40! The doctor ran all sorts of tests (inc. thyroid) and everything came back normal. As of late, I have been trying to get at least seven hours of sleep, as I realize that is important for general health - I've heard that you need more sleep as you get to your 40s.. It got better, but I'm still dragging. Once I get into a project, I get hooked on it and get motivated somehow, but it's really hard to get to that point. I started taking Vit. D on my own - been wanting to get that checked.

The strange thing is, for about five months over the last year I managed a very time-consuming volunteer project. You'd think that would have been a disaster, but I got my energy back! I was able to run on adrenaline and enjoyed that rush of meetings deadlines and hearing praise for my efforts. I started using an organization program and enjoyed being more efficient, though I was quite busy.

Now that it's over, I am starting to drag again (though not to the same extent), so I'm wondering if it's some sort of mild depression related to my self-esteem or.. what? I'm thinking it will help for me to do some sort of work (paid or volunteer) in my field, but I'm not sure that addresses the problem. Any thoughts? My doctor never brought up depression, but she knows I suffer from anxiety IRT health issues and some other things. I do have anxiety over trying to find another PT job or even volunteer position.

ABO Mama
05-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Well, 7 hours of sleep still isn't very much. For me, I need at least 8 hours, but feel much better with 9 (I rarely get that much though!).

daisymommy
05-10-2011, 05:23 PM
It very well could be depression linked.
As someone who fights depression off and on, tiredness and not being able to get things done (and lacking the motivation to get started on projects or do much of anything) are key symptoms. It's amazing to me that when I am depressed mentally, how strongly I feel it physically. I often feel drugged, I am so tired. It's like that first trimester tiredness.

And for me, cold grey weather, as well as lack of mental stimulation, a project to work on, a cause to get behind = boredom and left too long will cause depression. I'm a Type-A personality, and my brain needs entertainment :)

StantonHyde
05-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Have you ever chatted with a therapist about this? I can assure you that the busier I am, the happier and more productive I am. I work 2 days a week for my sanity. The fact that it pays for school tuition and summer camp is a bonus!!!

tiapam
05-11-2011, 12:23 AM
I would get your thyroid rechecked and be sure you get more levels than just the TSH test. I think you need the antibodies test too. Test results often lag behind symptoms. Do you have any family history of thyroid disease?

Daisymommy you sound a lot like me and my thyroid has not been well managed since I had RAI about ten years ago.

tiapam
05-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Just wanted to add that I feel very strongly that you should not attribute being tired to simple aging. Plenty of people age without becoming more tired. IMO, fatigue of the sort you are describing is a symptom of a physical problem. Some doctors will try to tell you that you are tired because you are getting old or have small children. I think that is a bunch of bull.

Globetrotter
05-11-2011, 01:54 AM
Ironically, I forgot to mention that over the past year my memory hasn't been what it used to be, except for that period when I was very actively engaged with the volunteer project! That is the odd part.. but at least it was reassuring that it went back to normal during that period. there are many times I will go to do send an email and momentarily (for two seconds) forget what it was - I know that is normal to some degree, but I feel like it's been happening more.

Tiapam, my mom had hyperthyroidism when she was in her late 40s, so I've always been tested for that, but I don't know if they did an antibody test.

Daisymommy, this fatigue DID feel like first trimester of pregnancy fatigue last year (though it's not nearly that bad now). In fact, at that point I thought I was pregnant!

StantonHyde, I haven't talked to a therapist for this, but after posting and reading the responses, I feel this can't all be normal aging or fatigue. Maybe another visit to the doctor or a therapist is in order!

wendibird22
05-11-2011, 09:23 AM
After reading the sentence about sleeping a lot during the day and having trouble getting motivated to do things I immediately thought of depression too. Aside from the period where you've had work/volunteer projects, have you noticed any other patterns to your fatigue? Could it be seasonal depression?

Globetrotter
05-12-2011, 01:49 AM
Aside from the period where you've had work/volunteer projects, have you noticed any other patterns to your fatigue? Could it be seasonal depression?

I don't think it's seasonal because I was doing well this winter. however, that's the time I was working on the big project.

Of course, nowadays I must get at least 6.5 hours of sleep to function, preferably 7.5 (and I get that most days and sleep in on weekends). I think that part is just due to getting older :) However, at the peak of this fatigue, I took long naps every day, and that's NOT normal. I'm disappointed that my doctor didn't suggest depression or other related issues at that time.

maestramommy
05-12-2011, 08:59 AM
You sound like the busier you are (to a point) the happier you are. That is true for me in some ways. By busier I don't mean longer to-do list. I mean working on a project that has a start and end time.

I was getting into a funk despite the onset of spring. But since getting Shep I've been happier. Despite the fact that I'm dragging my butt out of bed 45 minutes earlier every morning in order to run with him, managing his behavior, vet appts, and checking out doggy daycares, and just managing the workload of one more "kid." dh has noticed and he said it's because having Shep is fun for me in a way that mothering has not been.

I HAVE been more tired, but I recently discovered it's because i'm hopped up on allergy meds (which don't work; I'm seeing my allergist tomorrow). I stopped taking the meds a couple days ago, and wow, I don't even miss that second cup of coffee.

I wouldn't rule out depression. It can make one feel like a slug, despite the absence of medical issues.

Green_Tea
05-12-2011, 09:36 AM
I don't mean to discount the theory of depression, but to me it sounds like you are simply the type of person who thrives on having a busy, active schedule. I am like this, too. When I have all the time in the world to get things done at a leisurely pace, I accomplish nothing. My house goes to pot. I nap. I mope. I procrastinate.

When my life is insanely busy and jam-packed with responsibilities, I get things done. I am efficient. And happy.

An old friend once said to me that the best person to ask a to do a task is the one who is the busiest. I found this to be very true when I managed a staff (before kids!). The person who had the most on their plate was the the person who got the most done.

Again, if you feel that there is something else going on, by all means get it checked out. But in reading your OP, I think the lethargy is situational, not medical. It reminds me of people who find the time to work out (I am not one of those people!) - they have more energy because they are more active.

daisymommy
05-12-2011, 09:49 AM
I pretty much agree with you GreenTea.

I think what I meant to say, was that you may have been in depression during that period of time, due to your life being stagnant. But that by taking on projects and activities you were able to pull-yourself out of it. For many people that is the case. If their situation changes, the depression lifts. Medication and therapy is helpful and needed for some people, but is not always the only answer.

I think this is a good signal that you may be prone to situational "blues" or mild depression IF you don't have something going on in life to help prevent it.

If you feel fine now, it may not be necessary to go to the doctor. Just keep an eye on yourself and try to always have something you are working on or involved in and stay connected to other people.

tiapam
05-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Tiapam, my mom had hyperthyroidism when she was in her late 40s, so I've always been tested for that, but I don't know if they did an antibody test.

IMO, family history is huge. You are predisposed, all it takes is a trigger, usually physical, mental or emotional stress - or a combo of one or more.
It could come and go and be hard to detect from test results.

If your mom had it, you really should research it yourself so you know all about it not just for your sake but for your kids too, as it is part of their family medical history.

A good book to start with is The Thyroid Solution by Dr. Ridha Arem.

HTH.

Globetrotter
05-14-2011, 03:35 AM
I think this is a good signal that you may be prone to situational "blues" or mild depression IF you don't have something going on in life to help prevent it.

If you feel fine now, it may not be necessary to go to the doctor. Just keep an eye on yourself and try to always have something you are working on or involved in and stay connected to other people.

I think this may be it, barring medical issues, and depression runs in my family so it's not entirely surprising if that's it. What I went through last year was not normal. I really did feel drugged! The good news is, I was able to get over it, so that is reassuring.

This was a great week for me. DS and I were sick (one week after the other) so that set me back but I'm on track again and exercised three times, and I've restarted some big house projects.

The funny thing is, I am so not Type A. However, I am a big multi-tasker and happier when things get done. Who isn't? :)

I'm also going to look for some PT job or volunteer position in my own field as I feel that may help. I've always had an active social life, and that also helps.

Thanks for the feedback. I will look at the thyroid book.