PDA

View Full Version : is nesting a myth????

Serepta
05-10-2011, 05:19 PM
So I'm currently 36 weeks pregnant, and everyone I know keeps telling me "oh you must be nesting!" Nothing is further from the truth! I'm so completely exhausted all of the time I have a hard time making myself do even the simplest chores, like dishes. The nursery is still a wreck, as I haven't really sorted through all of the shower gifts yet. I keep telling myself I should, but after getting home from work at the end of the day all I want to do is sleep. I've even had a hard time packing my hospital bag, since just the simple act of putting things into a bag seems exhausting to me. Is there something wrong with me???

SnuggleBuggles
05-10-2011, 05:22 PM
I nested a few times with ds1- who came at 41w. But, I don't think it started till closer to 38 weeks so it could still happen for you. :) I also had a good amount of energy and desire to get things done with ds2 as well. I painted his room at 39+ weeks (just a hunch that he'd be late as well!). I wasn't really very tired at the end of either pregnancy though. I wasn't working full time though so that probably helped! I also exercised all the way through with both- maybe that helped?? But, growing a person is tough work and if you need to rest, roll with it!

I bet you'll get a burst.

Beth

ThreeofUs
05-10-2011, 05:29 PM
At the very very end of my pregnancies, I was terrified by everything that still needed to get done. I worked hard then, but I am still not sure it was nesting.

BabbyO
05-10-2011, 05:34 PM
I didn't nest AT ALL with my first pg. With my second...well, I guess I did, but it came pretty late (probably around 38 weeks). I say I guess, because I forced myself to do the nursery and packing (what I typically think of as "normal" nesting activities) earlier.

But I remember the week or two before I had DS I was up at nearly 4:30 am every.single.day doing something...making DH's birthday and Father's Day gifts, regular house hold cleaning/chores, hauling and bundling brush from some pruning we did, etc.

However, I'd say if you are tired and exhausted from working all day REST. Get as much rest in these last couple of weeks as you can. You will need it!

Good luck!

veronica
05-10-2011, 05:38 PM
I think it depends on your current personality and lifestyle.

DD was our first, I had time to wash everything, get a nursery perfectly done, shampoo the carpet-whatever I felt like doing.

for DS, we were in the midst of moving, so we could not nest.

Now? DH and I are barely surviving as it is...be we did just wash the crib sheets and preemie clothes!

Claki
05-10-2011, 06:12 PM
I felt like that with DS1 and feel like that now at 31 weeks with DS2. With DS1 I was induced so I'm not sure if I ever really nested. The week before I really pushed myself to clean but I don't know that I had an urge. I have heard that nesting can come right before labor so maybe I would have nested if I had gone into labor on my own.

Melaine
05-10-2011, 06:13 PM
I didn't nest whatsoever, but the girls were 6 weeks early....so maybe that has to do with it.

larig
05-10-2011, 06:21 PM
I really did. I cleaned out cabinets and organized. I did it sitting down at a table. Or arranged myself somehow to be comfortable. But, yeah, I got a lot of stuff accomplished. I couldn't sleep well, either, so I kept busy and tried to wear myself out during the day. ETA: induced at due date -6 days for preeclampsia

sariana
05-10-2011, 06:27 PM
I never did, but my DC were born at 32 and 36 weeks, so like a PP said, maybe that had something to do with it.

LadyPeter
05-10-2011, 06:51 PM
I was horribly, horribly exhausted. My body hurt and my feet were swollen...so all my energy was mental. I felt driven to do all this stuff, but I was utterly unable to move. I ended up calling in friends, family, landscapers and cleaning services to do all the things on my list.

Smillow
05-10-2011, 07:10 PM
I did not nest. I needed to though!

AshleyAnn
05-10-2011, 11:04 PM
It was for me. Pregnancy was HARD for me and by the end I was so sick and so tired I really just couldn't do anything. I knew I had a ton to do but I just couldn't get into it. The day they told me I was being induced I had nothing done - not even a car seat installed and my hospital bag was planned but not packed. But we made a quick push to get the necesities done and it worked out. Really you don't need a whole lot in the beginning anyway.

Melanie
05-10-2011, 11:46 PM
It wasn't with me. I, subconsciously, was a huge nester with both of my PGs. However I had fairly easy second trimesters, so I had the energy for it. The first trimester I was like you describe, though. I could hardly lift a finger. I would say around 37/38 weeks I was not nesting so much anymore just do to size exhaustion. With my second I had spreadsheets and lists with due dates and was 100% done by 36 weeks so I could just relax into the end.

happymom
05-11-2011, 12:06 AM
I never nested when I was pregnant with DD. I just didn't feel that pressure to get things done. For two reasons, I think- 1) I didn't have any other kids to look after in addition to the new baby and 2) I knew I was moving into my parent's house for a few weeks and I wouldnt have to worry about meals or housework.

Since DD was born, I have had 2 scheduled procedures which required 2 days bed rest afterwards. I did some serious nesting beforehand! I knew that DH would be overwhelmed by taking care of DD 24/7, and wouldnt be able to clean and cook also. So, dinner for several nights was cooked and packed neatly in the frig. The frig and pantry were fully stocked. The house was BEYOND spotless. All for 2 measly days.

I am pretty sure I will nest with my next pregnancy since I will have DD to worry about, in addition to the new baby.

Uno-Mom
05-11-2011, 01:16 AM
I was all ready to, and looking forward to it!
I expected the baby to be born a week after her due date (as one does expect with a first baby, you know?) so I worked up to 3 days prior to due date. I planned a nice few days to putter around and organize.

Yep, she decided to come on her due date. Never got my week off to nest!

mjs64
05-11-2011, 02:23 AM
I did, but not until about 37 weeks. And then, I went crazy, buying a label-maker, organizing cabinets and drawers, pulling out the oven, dishwasher, and refrigerator from their casings to clean under them...it was insane. I also organized all of our household documents as well as my computer, and all of this felt extremely pressing. I kept wondering when I was going to nest, and then I did. I have to say I'm glad I did, since I don't think I'll ever have time like that again.

But don't worry. Really, if I had it all to do over again, I'd have slept instead. Cause that's what I really miss now. Mmmm. Sleep.

hellokitty
05-11-2011, 08:06 AM
I nested a LOT with DS1. I nested some with DS2, I really didn't have to do much, b/c he was another boy and only 18 mo younger than his older brother, so I hadn't even had a chance to put away baby stuff yet from DS1. I did not nest at all with DS3, I was just completely exhausted and overwhelmed with having to take care of the other two, while being miserably pregnant as well. The only thing I did was dig out some stored clothes (didn't even wash it again) and set up the co-sleeper.

artvandalay
05-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Yes, I think it's a myth. I never nested any of the 3 times I was pregnant.

janine
05-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Yes, I think it's a myth. I never nested any of the 3 times I was pregnant.

believe it's a myth too. Of course you get orgnaized and do what's necessary as with any major pending event - but for me there was no overwhelming instinct.

FTMLuc
05-11-2011, 09:02 AM
it was a myth for me too, never had the urge to clean, organize etc. DD came 9 days before due date.

lizzywednesday
05-11-2011, 09:13 AM
I did not nest. I needed to though!

:yeahthat:

I still have boxes of things sitting on our 3rd floor that I'd meant to go through before my induction at 39w5d.

It didn't happen.

And, frankly, it probably won't happen for quite a while since DD has learned to walk and I spend all of my free time chasing her.

logan's mom
05-11-2011, 10:43 AM
I never nested in the cleaning and organizing sense of the word but I went on a crazy baking/cooking spree. I had like 10 casseroles in the freezer, had planned and made meals for my parents and in-laws that would be at our house while I was in the hospital and bake so many cookies, and cakes that my husband started to get embarrassed to take them to work. Luckily I never had much a desire to eat the sweets I baked or I would have been huge!

Funny though, all throughout my pregnancy I had a huge craving for caramel machitto cheesecake. I finally made one at 38 weeks, took it to work, and my water broke seconds after I finished my slice. : )

buddyleebaby
05-11-2011, 10:48 AM
The day before I went into labor (12 days late), I started cleaning the kitchen and washing/folding mountains of laundry. My husband said I was nesting and I told him I wasn't, I just finally had a little bit of energy and wanted to get these things done.

In retrospect...I was nesting. ;)

sunnyside
05-23-2011, 01:59 AM
I was horribly, horribly exhausted. My body hurt and my feet were swollen...so all my energy was mental. I felt driven to do all this stuff, but I was utterly unable to move. I ended up calling in friends, family, landscapers and cleaning services to do all the things on my list.

:yeahthat: I paid people to nest for me because my feet hurt and I was exhausted. ;)