PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to donate blood at 2 months PP?

Dream
05-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Title pretty much says it all. Some background.... I had a c-sec in March and EBF. There's a blood donating event this coming saturday and I would love to donate. DH thinks I shouldn't since I'm BF and thinks I wouldn't have enough:). I didn't have complications after the c-sec, my blood pressure was high and was on meds for about a month but that has resolved now and I'm no longer taking meds.

Is it safe for me to donate blood? Or would this decrease my milk supply?

Hawkeyewife
05-11-2011, 10:51 AM
I'd wait at least 6 months PP after baby has started solids.

roobee
05-11-2011, 11:08 AM
I'd wait too, or maybe check to see if the c-section would exclude you from being able to donate (like if you travel or take certain meds you're deferred from donating for a certain period of time)

Octobermommy
05-11-2011, 11:30 AM
This is from lll.org

The Red Cross says this:

•defer while pregnant
•defer 6 weeks after giving birth
•defer 12 months if delivery required a blood transfusion
•accept nursing mothers

La Leche League's sources differ in their opinions on blood donation for breastfeeding mothers. Dr. Gregory White does not recommend it. Dr. Jack Newman says any otherwise eligible mother who is not anemic can donate blood. The Canadian Blood Service does not allow breastfeeding mothers to donate blood in the first six months postpartum. LLL recommends that mothers consult their own physicians and make an informed choice.

If a breastfeeding mother chooses to donate blood, she needs to be very careful to stay hydrated. Human milk is 87% water, and a blood donation takes 16 ounces of blood from the body. This is a lot of liquid to replace. All blood donors are cautioned to eat a substantial meal before donating blood and drink large quantities of water afterward. After a donation, donors are advised to avoid heavy lifting with the arm used to donate (to prevent excessive bruising). This may be a consideration for mothers who may not be able to avoid lifting and carrying their babies or older children.

All that said, I personally would not donate blood 8 wks pp while EBF. I would wait a minimum of 6-8 month.s

Mommy_Mea
05-11-2011, 11:56 AM
I remember posting about this last year. DS was 10 months at that point, but I decided to hold off while I was still BFing based on the feedback I got. My thread:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=356676&highlight=blood+breastfeeding

But my supply was not doing so great at that point, and I didn't want to risk it. I can't wait to give blood again, I have been pregnant or nursing for 2.5 years!

JoyNChrist
05-11-2011, 11:58 AM
I donated at 3 months PP with DS1 (EBF for one year). No noticeable drop in supply, although I did feel a little nauseous and "icky" during the donation (never have before or since). I didn't donate while BFing the twins, for supply concerns and because I was really anemic during their pregnancy.

Which reminds me, now that I've weaned them, I should get back to my donating schedule. :)

ellies mom
05-11-2011, 12:04 PM
That's about when I started donating blood again after DD2 was born (c-section). But I have never had supply issues. I could probably feed half the neighborhood if I wanted. I didn't have any problems donating. And quite honestly, I was thrilled just to have a bit of quiet time.

Dream
05-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Thank you. I'm going to wait it out. There's always next year. I don't want to do anything that'll reduce my supply.

cucaw30
05-11-2011, 01:11 PM
I did it when DS2 was about 9 months. I didn't donate with DS1 until he was about 15 months and I regret that decision. I would call your OB's office and ask. I'm not a health care professional and I think that it would depend also on how you normally react when giving blood, but I would think that as long as your prepare a couple of days ahead of time but drinking extra fluids, eating well, etc., you should be fine.

Giving blood is a great gift. DS2 needed six blood transfusions when he was in the NICU. It definitely saves lives. :hug5: