PDA

View Full Version : Sand everywhere in DDs hair, clothes, carseat, etc...

diamond
05-11-2011, 11:06 AM
My DD who is 2 goes to preschool and now that the weather is good she plays in the playground, sandbox, with sand etc... at the end of the day her hair (mid back length) has sand, her scalp has sand, her clothes and shoes have sand too. it sometimes sticks due to sweat or sometime sand is sticky after some rain, so our car has lots of sand, even her car seat and her buckles which we click has got sand in it. how do moms clean all this stuff? off of her, clothes carseats, literally everywhere? we dont wash her hair everyday. ty

m448
05-11-2011, 11:12 AM
a light dusting of cornstarch is what we use to remove the sand when we're in a spot without water and it works well by drying the sand making it less sticky.

vonfirmath
05-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Honestly, when my son gets into sand, we brush off as much as we can before getting into the car -- then that night becomes bath night no matter what.

You can use a handheld vacuum to get sand out of the inside of the car (or go to the local Genie Car Wash and pay them to do an indepth cleaning if it is bad enough...)

If it became a big problem I'd be talking to childcare about how I'd prefer my child not play with sand at the end of the day and could she please take care of it before I get there. My current provider knows about when we arrive and is pretty good at making sure they are clean and dry when we get there -- whatever they did during the day. So really messy/wet toys get put away earlier in the day.

wimama
05-11-2011, 11:15 AM
We went through that with DS. DS loved to play in the dirt and sandbox. Every day he came home dirty and sandy. The sand was even in his ears, thanks to one of his classmates that thought it was funny to throw sand. One thing I learned is to take off and shake out shoes outside every day. I swear he took home quite a bit of playground every day in his shoes either sand or later rubber mulch in the bigger kid playground. No solution for you, it did get better over time though. Now he brings home pebbles and other surprises in his pants pockets. I just told myself that I was thankful that he got so much outside play time and he was enjoying myself. The stains and sand were proof.:wink2:

Meatball Mommie
05-11-2011, 12:51 PM
We definitely went through a period of sandbox/dirt pile obsession with our second child. I swear he brought home half the school's sandbox in his shoes! He never got too dirty or sandy from school, but we do live near the ocean and are at the beach almost daily in the summer, so I've dealt with the sand in scalp and ears - not fun!

I recommend keeping baby powder (or cornstarch) in your car. Before your child gets in have them take off their socks and shoes and dump out the sand, then liberally apply the powder to her legs/feet. It will totally take off all the stuck on sand. As far as ears and scalp go...unfortunately a bath is in order :( My kids hated to have their hair washed at that age, so there was some incentive to keeping their heads sand-free!

eta: a friend of mine douses her children with baby powder after a day at the beach - has them take off their bathing suits and powders them from head to toe. She has girls and hates the sand in the hair thing. Not sure I'd try it after school, but after a day at the beach - ok.

logan's mom
05-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Have you seen these: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/baby-magic-patty-cake-dustless-baby-powder/ID=prod6051172-product?V=G&ext=bng_Bing_Baby_and_Children&CAID=c03f07a4-9c15-494f-9e8b-2228e266aa6a

I am thinking of packing one with our beach stuff but it might be worth getting for the car. I have never tried using cornstarch/baby powder for sand but I have heard that pro surfers do it.

starmommy
05-14-2011, 01:15 AM
Baby powder works wonders!! we keep it in the car and use it on beach days to remove sand from bare feet/legs before getting into car.

carolinamama
05-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Baby powder does work well in a pinch. But my kids love the sand and dirt and are just too dirty this time of the year to not have a bath each evening. Of course they are boys with short hair so washing hair every evening isn't a big deal.