PDA

View Full Version : Fishing + kid stuff 6 hours or less from SF

crl
05-11-2011, 12:39 PM
This is probably mission impossible, but I am trying to find a vacation that would make my parents and my husband and my nearly 8 year happy for a week or so this summer.

My obstacles are that we don't want to spend a ton of money, which pretty much eliminates the four of us flying. We would be willing to pay for my parents to fly, not sure if they will though. My husband can only get a week off and doesn't want to spend half of it driving so we are limited to things within a day's drive of San Francisco. AND my husband would like to go fishing. AND my parents don't like CA much, most especially they don't like San Francisco.

So, I'm thinking maybe everyone would agree to my parents flying into SF and all of us driving someplace with fishing (dad likes to fish too, so that wouldn't be all for dh) and something for the kids to do. Mountain stream type fishing would be best.

But I'm not from CA and don't know much about the state. So far I have thought of Tahoe (is there good fishing?), Sacramento, or something up by Redding? Do any of those fill the bill? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Catherine

mackmama
05-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Are you going to be fly-fishing?

katydid1971
05-11-2011, 12:43 PM
How about Lake Berryessa (about 2 hours north) or Lake Shasta (about 4 hours north)

crl
05-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Are you going to be fly-fishing?

Dh is absolutely a fly fisher. My dad is flexible. I can fly fish, but probably won't fish. Mom can't fly fish. Doubt she will fish either.

Catherine

crl
05-11-2011, 12:44 PM
How about Lake Berryessa (about 2 hours north) or Lake Shasta (about 4 hours north)

Excellent. Kid stuff at either?

Thank you!
Catherine

Beth24
05-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Mammoth Lakes area is a fairly quick drive from SF in the summer when the pass through Yosemite is open and has great fishing and lots of other family friendly activities.

katydid1971
05-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Just found this site http://californiafishingonline.com/index.html

Both places have lots of water sports. I haven't been to either since I had kids so I'm not sure what kid activities each has. Check them out online, but I know there is a national park not far from Shasta and you have Redding close and it has an In n Out burger (we always stop there on our way to the in laws ;))
Lassen Volcanic Park: http://www.nps.gov/lavo/index.htm

crl
05-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Just found this site http://californiafishingonline.com/index.html

Both places have lots of water sports. I haven't been to either since I had kids so I'm not sure what kid activities each has. Check them out online, but I know there is a national park not far from Shasta and you have Redding close and it has an In n Out burger (we always stop there on our way to the in laws ;))
Lassen Volcanic Park: http://www.nps.gov/lavo/index.htm

Thanks! National Parks could sweeten the deal for my parents as they like that sort of thing (they have been to Yosemite already though).

Catherine

AnnieW625
05-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Mammoth Lakes would be fun as would Yosemite, but Yosemite books out a lot and can be pretty crazy during the summer. We used to use the House Keeping Cabins at Curry Village, but my cousins used to stay near Wawona and enjoyed it.

You might also look at the Klamath River in Northern California. We used to go fishing there when I was a kid.

Lake Berryessa is okay, but I don't know how much there is do with kids and I don't believe that there is houseboats there, I believe its all tent or RV camping. Lake Shasta would be a better option because there are houseboats and such. I do believe it's probably closer to about 5 hours north of San Francisco though.

Fort Bragg might also be nice, but not sure about how much kid friendly stuff is in the area. I can email my mom's best friend and see what she recommends kid wise.

TwinFoxes
05-11-2011, 01:33 PM
I know that Kozchaca's (sp?) DH and sons are big fishermen, and they live in the Bay Area. You might try PMing her if she doesn't respond.

mackmama
05-11-2011, 04:36 PM
I just asked a friend of mine who's a big fly-fisher. He said that Redding probably has the best fly-fishing near there. He suggested calling a local fly shop in Redding, and a guide can direct you to which river is biting the best. Shasta is near there, so that might be a good option too.

mackmama
05-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Hmm I just posted a response but it didn't show up. Testing again.

crl
05-11-2011, 05:22 PM
You all are great! My parents are thinking over the general concept and will get back to me. Hopefully we will figure something out because I do want to see them this summer.

Catherine

crl
05-11-2011, 05:23 PM
I just asked a friend of mine who's a big fly-fisher. He said that Redding probably has the best fly-fishing near there. He suggested calling a local fly shop in Redding, and a guide can direct you to which river is biting the best. Shasta is near there, so that might be a good option too.

Thanks!

Catherine