PDA

View Full Version : When did you move your twins to beds?

glbb35
05-11-2011, 02:29 PM
I am wondering for moms with older twin who share a room, when did you move them to their own beds? Our situation is this: we are expecting #5 this July but my uterus is "tired" and my doctor thinks this baby will come early. We are in the middle of an addition to the house and had planned when we were closer to being done to moving the twins up to the third floor bedroom where they would have plenty of space and the new baby could take their room which is near our room. That means if they are above us there will be more noise if they don't stay in their beds.

I know they sleep in a cot for nap at pre-school but that is because I am not there :) I can't imagine them doing that for us. DH suggested we move them into their new room within the next month if we can and at that point move them to toddler beds. I just think they aren't going to stay in their beds and can see a lot of headaches along with a newborn arising because they won't stay in their beds. We moved my oldest when he was 2.9 and he pretty much listened. But he was our first and oldest and just stayed in bed. We moved our middle when he was 2 1/2 and it took us three months to get him to understand he had to stay in bed.
The twins just turned 2 and I think it might be better if we just suck it up and buy an inexpensive crib as there are two of them after all and I can't imagine them not staying in bed and us running up an down the stairs all the time and then them getting up early and then pulling everything out of their drawers and such. I am being silly? They don't try to crawl out of their beds or anything and I am fine with them in their cribs until they are older. Especially since there are 2 of them. DH thinks we will just have to deal with whatever comes along. But I know it will be me who "has to deal with it" so I don't know if I am ready for that. Any advice would be great. When did you move, should I move and what to move them to and how. You would think I could figure this out but again it is two highly spirited little boys instead of one and I am one mom who is tired these days. Me and my uterus it seems :)

Thanks

B

DS 03, 06 twins 09 and surprise 7/11

mikeys_mom
05-11-2011, 10:42 PM
My twins turned 2 in February and I plan to keep them in their cribs as long as possible. No, you are not crazy to consider buying a 3rd crib. Twins are so much work and they certainly egg each other on. My older 2 were easy peasy to get to sleep in comparison to my twins. I can't imagine the destruction that they would cause if I moved them to beds right now.

Sounds like you have your hands full at the moment. I'd leave them in their cribs for now. The last thing you need is the two of them running around the house when the baby comes.

scriptkitten
05-11-2011, 11:07 PM
My twins are 2yrs7m and still in cribs. It works

NN317
05-12-2011, 03:40 PM
I had high hopes of keeping them contained in cribs until they were over 3 years old. Alas, we converted their cribs to toddler beds when they were 27 months old after the dreaded climbing escapes began. We recently (about 2 months ago) bought twin sized beds to replace the crib size ones. They've shared a room from day 1, and they do rile each other up, but the newness of it wore off after 4 days (for us, at least). They now nap & sleep for the night with less than 30 minutes of antics once we put them in their room. We do have the door knob flipped, so we lock them in. But we don't have anything out for them to play with, and everything that is in their has been toddler-proofed.

twowhat?
05-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Ours will be 3 in Sept. Still in cribs.

If they're happy and not climbing out, leave them!!! You don't want to deal with any sleep issues related to not having them in cribs while dealing with a newborn. Totally buy a 3rd crib! Plus their cribs will be a familiar, comforting thing for them when their world is changed by the introduction of a new baby.

Good luck!

dowlinal
05-19-2011, 10:29 AM
My boys will be 2 at the end of the month and it looks like I'll be making the move in the near future. I had hoped to keep them in for atleast another year, but they can both climb out now and bedtime has become a disaster. Atleast if I move them to bed, they'll be able to climb back in.

gatorsmom
06-10-2011, 10:55 AM
My twins will be 4 in November. Yep, they are still happily in their cribs. I think we'll have to be moving them soon, though, or at least taking the side off their cribs. I really hate to give them that freedom, though.

If I were pregnant again, I'd just buy another crib. I'd really REALLY be afraid of trying to keep twin toddlers in their toddler beds AND care for a new baby.

Naranjadia
06-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Ours moved out of cribs, for the second time, right about 4. We actually tried the move when they were between 2.5 and 3 and it was just what you would fear - up and down, up and down. We live in a one-story house, but even then it was exhausting. We tried gates, incentive charts, etc.

When we went back to cribs, they actually seemed relieved.

The second move to beds went much better.