PDA

View Full Version : Gross, but need help cleaning vomit stain on carpet

bw52
05-11-2011, 03:18 PM
I used Resolve with Oxy and thought I was done (this was last night), but this morning after it dried I'm left with a big dark stain on my carpet still. Suggestions? I really don't know how to clean this stuff up. First time LO has gotten sick, but I realize I'm going to need a good plan for the future. And what do I do about my set-in dark stain now? I thought a carpet cleaner would do the trick.

And just a side question, do you usually get sick if your toddler is? I'm trying to keep my hands away from my face and wash them as much as possible, but when I have a toddler getting into everything (once she started feeling a little better), I know I have germs all over the house. Plus, I've been right by her side for 2 days trying to help her feel better and cleaning up all the messes. Just wondering how likely my pregnant self is to pick this up, too.

american_mama
05-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Just today, I was talking to a neighbor whose son and brother-in-law both own carpet cleaning businesses, and she said blotting with a solution of club soda and 1 tsp salt is how you should get stains out of carpet. She said soap-based products will stay in the fiber, thus becoming a magnet for any future stains or dirt, plus they break the carpet fibers down. She said despite knowing this, despite having relatives in the business, she did not listen, used regular/bad carpet cleaners and ruined her entire downstairs carpet.

Well, ok. I was impressed by the story, but unconvinced. I've been using Resolve and Spot Shot on stains on our very, very light beige carpet for 5 years and I feel like it's worked with no ill effects. Plus, like you, we've had some serious bodily fluids on our carpet.... a little vomit, a lot of pee and poop, plus magic marker several times, special paint made for glass, milk, ice cream, red dirt, hair conditioner and I don't know what else. I just can't see club soda and salt getting poop or vomit out.

On a cheap but big area rug upstairs, DS had a huge diarrhea accident that was like liquid-y applesauce. I think I am going to rent a grocery store carpet cleaner for that. It looks like it all got out, but it doesn't smell like it does.