PDA

View Full Version : Baby gift around $100- $150?

BeachBum
05-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Her registry has been picked clean. Got any suggestions? I'd love something sentimental (but it doesn't have to be)...it's a girl, their first.

misshollygolightly
05-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Wow, well if all their practical needs are met and you want to do a really nice, sentimental gift, how about a silver feeding spoon from Tiffanys:
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=23983931&mcat=148207&cid=288202&search_params=s+5-p+2-c+288202-r+101323338-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+-k+

Some other *slightly* more practical options might be a gift certificate to a good local photographer so they can get some great portraits made, a bath-themed gift basket with California Baby (or similar) stuff for baby and a massage gift card for mom, or this amazing gift basket from Zingermans (http://www.zingermans.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=G-BBY). My aunt got us this Zingermans gift box when DS was born and it was AMAZING. DH and I *still* talk about it! All the food in it tasted so unbelievably good during those first crazy days of mixed up days-and-nights and midnight nursing marathons. Oh, another nice baby gift for a girl might be an add-a-pearl necklace. I guess those are kind of old fashioned, but I still think they're very sweet.

BabyH
05-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Sentimental.... hmmm... DS is our first but I can't really think of anything really sentimental we got. Everything was very practical, I guess. I posted on another thread about some GREAT Etsy burp cloths with his initials, that I still love...(but of course no longer really need) -- what about a few of those and a gift card? People were SO generous at my shower, but the gift cards helped during those first months where I'd go to Target in a haze and try and pick up a few things I needed....

zag95
05-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Baby scrapbook album, with a imprinted name?

I think Creative Memories may have some- or there may be others that have ideas on that.

candaceb
05-11-2011, 08:13 PM
going in a different direction than the other suggestions, what about a gift certificate for kindermusik/gymboree/some other baby class that mommy and baby can do together in a few months?

katydid1971
05-11-2011, 09:12 PM
An Ergo!!! It was the best thing I have ever purchased and now DD is 3 and I still carry her around in it sometimes.

HonoluluMom
05-11-2011, 09:31 PM
I sort of regret not hiring a professional photographer to take pics of me and DD when she was an infant. I vote for hiring a professional photographer to do family photos.

Photos last forever and infancy (and first-time mommyhood) is such a precious and short period!

happymom
05-11-2011, 09:57 PM
I sort of regret not hiring a professional photographer to take pics of me and DD when she was an infant. I vote for hiring a professional photographer to do family photos.

Photos last forever and infancy (and first-time mommyhood) is such a precious and short period!

:yeahthat:

mackmama
05-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Love the photographer idea! Or a food delivery service for the first couple of weeks?

Indianamom2
05-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Gift card for a photography session. Seriously, this is a great gift and the memories will last forever, long after the "practical" stuff is outgrown or no longer needed.

indigo99
05-11-2011, 10:10 PM
The photography one could be tricky. You'd want to be sure that they aren't already doing a session with someone. They may have a photographer in mind that they want to use. Also, most photographers that come to your home and do newborn sessions are going to charge more than that for the session. Then the couple will need to buy prints so you'd want to know that it is something they want and can afford (look into the print prices in advance).

In that price range, my first thought was the becco or ergo, but it isn't really sentimental.

sweetsue98
05-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Nice picture frame...maybe engraved if they are into that. Diaper and wipes, not fun but always useful!

soon2b4
05-12-2011, 08:50 AM
We have a nice silver dumbbell shaped rattle (really it chimes, I'd say) /teether some friends gave us for DD1. I have no idea how expensive it was, but I would not have thought of it for myself. They told me to be sure to use it, not just keep it pretty... it was terrific (kind of heavy when she was really little) for teething and she always liked it better than the plastic ones for sounds.

vonfirmath
05-12-2011, 10:36 AM

Photographer!

Or about a diaper service?

fauve01
05-12-2011, 12:34 PM
it's not sentimental, when i want to spend a lot i get the Fisher Price Learning home door. it is something the babies/kids like for such a long long time! my cousin still thanks me every time we talk and her twins are 3.5!
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-C6327-Fisher-Price-Learning/dp/B000284X6W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305217650&sr=8-1

if i wanted to spend more, i'd fill in with some books that we loved. or robeez.

if the person is local to me, i like to give a gift cert to a lady who makes hand prints in clay. they're precious! and different prices--from small christmas ornament size to big. this is the lady near me, but they're all over:
http://www.clayprints.com/

i'm sad i didn't find this lady til my dd was 10 months!

i also regret not getting professional pics taken, but i agree it would be tricky to give that as a gift.

good luck! let us know what you choose.
anne + dd 10-03

arivecchi
05-12-2011, 12:36 PM
I would vote Ergo with the gift receipt.

mackmama
05-12-2011, 12:38 PM
We have a nice silver dumbbell shaped rattle (really it chimes, I'd say) /teether some friends gave us for DD1. I have no idea how expensive it was, but I would not have thought of it for myself. They told me to be sure to use it, not just keep it pretty... it was terrific (kind of heavy when she was really little) for teething and she always liked it better than the plastic ones for sounds.

Glad to read this. We received one of these, too, and I wasn't quite sure what it was for! :p At what age did your DC start to use it?

Mommy_Again
05-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Something sterling will be a forever keepsake...Silver Gallery has a good selection:
http://www.silvergallery.com/personalized-baby-gifts.html

I also love these baby books - you custom pick the fabric, monogram, trim, and page style:
http://www.waycooldesigns.com/

jenstring95
05-12-2011, 04:18 PM
It's not sentimental, but what about a zoo or museum membership? Or a gift card for a mommy and me workout class? I would rather have something useful than a really expensive keepsake, and I can get fairly sappy. Do you sew/knit/crochet? I really cherish the homemade gifts (blankets, mainly) that I was given.

I did appreciate that when I was pregnant with my first, a co-worker gave me a blanket with DS's name embroidered on it. I wasn't particularly close to her, so I was pleasantly surprised that she made that extra effort, and I still have the blanket over 5 years later.

sste
05-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Are the parents the type to go in for large wall photo shots of kids?

If so a gift certificate to a higher-end, artsy framing type store might be very appreciated. This is probably coming from my own recently inculcated custom framing addiction . . .

boolady
05-12-2011, 04:32 PM
This etsy seller does beautiful custom and ready-to-ship blankets...they are the really soft minky fabric on one side and quilt patches on the other. We gave one to our new niece when she was born, and my SIL uses it every day for something. We got the $55 size, which they were able to use to cover her in the carseat/outside/feeding and now use for her to sit on with some toys. You could go larger, or pair it with another gift.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewfunbymonique?ref=ss_profile

soon2b4
05-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Glad to read this. We received one of these, too, and I wasn't quite sure what it was for! :p At what age did your DC start to use it?

Hmm... she liked it during teething (since it was heavier, I probably kept it back until around 8 mos + for something she would hold by her face) and I always just had it out when we had tummy time, so it was a choice... she would get it out for herself from 12 mos. on, I would guess...
Sorry for the fuzzy memory.

starmommy
05-14-2011, 12:58 AM
I loved getting a frame engraved with my DD's DOB, time, wt/length, it sits on her dresser and my daughter loves to look at "Baby Me", and it is something she will have forever. My sister gave me a Pottery Barn anywhere chair with my son's name on it for a gift, that my older daughter uses so much we will be getting one for her. Also loved getting gift card to photo studio to do pics (Kiddie Kandids, portriat simple-even if they are not the newborn ones, it is great to do at 3mo, 6 mo, 1 yr- they chang SO fast that 1st year)