PDA

View Full Version : Nice article on how sports positively impacts your children!

mom2binsd
05-11-2011, 09:05 PM
http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/columnists/kindred/article_c6e32606-7b7b-11e0-9749-001cc4c002e0.html

Well written piece in our local paper.

wellyes
05-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Nice! One thing I thought about when marrying DH was that he'd make a good coach :)

LMPC
05-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Oh wow...that is a really nice article! And really what having kids in sports is all about IMO!

R2sweetboys
05-11-2011, 11:26 PM
I :heartbeat: this article!! Sports were a big part of my family's life growing up.(because we truly enjoyed them) My parents always tried to be there and were supportive but not pushy. They both worked but they still managed to adjust their schedules so that at least one of them could be there to cheer me and my siblings on. With three of us, I don't know how they did it but they did. And it meant a lot.

elektra
05-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Love it. It describes my childhood perfectly! I also don't know how my mom made it to all my practices and games.

hellokitty
05-12-2011, 09:40 AM
You know, I may just be an oddball, however I had horrible experiences playing sports as a kid. I just plain suck at sports and I knew it and knowing that everyone else knew that I sucked, only made my self esteem even worse. My parents forced me to play sports even though I wasn't good at it and they never let me quit and would just sign me up on their own. I think it depends on the child. If you have a child who really sucks at sports, I would not push it, b/c if they are always the worst player, it's not good for their self esteem. I was better at art and music. DS1 is horrible at sports, and I can tell he is going to be a repeat of how I was. We're focusing on helping him to enjoy a sport he likes (golf) and can use for life in the long run, rather than team sports. DS2 enjoys team sports and is an avg player and wants to play, so we help him along with that. DS3 seems to be the most athletic so far out of all three, so I am pretty sure he will want to play a lot of sports. However, I just don't feel like you should push it on your kid. It has become sorely obvious to DH and I that DS1 will never excel at sports, and my DH is an ex-jock, but hasn't been a jerk about it, we just accept that it's ok that DS1 isn't good at sports and he should play just for fun, but we don't want him to hate it and stress over it like I did.