PDA

View Full Version : Green/Holistic Pest Control Companies

toby
05-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Has anyone had experience with pest control companies who have a "greener" approach? I am just wondering if they work...

All of the chemicals that regular exterminators use make me very nervous (mainly in terms of DS's health). We are dealing with ants behind the siding of the house-- they are destructive so it is definitely something that we have to deal with.

Rainbows&Roses
05-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Yes we used Pointe a few years ago when we were doing a remodel upstairs and found huge winged ant colonies living in our roof. They sprayed inside the roof upstairs and it was months before anyone was using the upstairs so I felt okay with it.

We signed a contract for the year and they came 4 more times only spraying outside around the foundation. We (except for my DH) always went to stay at my moms for a few days even though the chemicals are supposedly safe. They never sprayed inside.

They basically solved our problems with earwigs, silver fish, centipedes and ants by doing this. The insects started to come back within about 6 months after we stopped the contract and it is to the point I might reconsider signing a new contract since I can't stand the centipedes and our basement has so many cracks and crevices these things just come and go at will.

My younger sister almost died of breast cancer at 30 and my DH's mom did die of breast cancer so I don't mess around with pesticides as my kids don't need any additional risk factors.

eta: I just googled and the pointe we used is a green company. There are several different pointes apparently.