PDA

View Full Version : reality check -- what do you think?

bubbaray
05-11-2011, 09:52 PM
OK, so DH and I have different views on the following scenario.

Today, it was "student lead conferences" at DD#1's school. DD#1 and I got there a bit early. I parked on the road. I noticed a few cars up the street from mine, there was another white RAV4. No biggie, there are lots of white RAV4s.

DD#1 and I sat in the car and waited for closer to her time-slot and for DH to show up. It was pouring rain, crazy downpour and I have a sunroof, so rather loud. All of the sudden, someone opens my car door. I turned (I had been turned around facing DD#1 in the backseat) and just looked at this woman. She said "Oh, I thought this was my car" and then walked away. What-ev-er. OK, so weird things happen.

Then, I turn back to DD#1 and resume our conversation. Weird lady pulls up beside me, rolls down her window and starts HONKING. WTF? I don't know if she was waving or shaking her fist, whatever.

I think this is just weird. Not the wrong car part (I'm sure that could happen to anyone), but the pulling up beside me afterwards and honking like a crazy woman.

DH says that I was in the wrong (doesn't matter what I do, I am always wrong in his eyes). He says that I should have made HER feel better and made a joke out of it.

Thoughts?

KLD313
05-11-2011, 09:56 PM
I don't think you were wrong. She tried to get in the wrong. It's not like you started yelling at her or anything. You both must have been in shock so I'm sure your first thought wasn't to make her feel better. I think her reaction was out of line and odd.

AbbysMom
05-11-2011, 09:58 PM
I don't understand how you could have been in the wrong. I'm sure you were shocked when she opened the door and I would have just looked at her too. And why would she honk? Weird.

wellyes
05-11-2011, 10:00 PM
She was probably honking an apology.
You weren't wrong, no one was wrong in this scenario that I can see!

LMPC
05-11-2011, 10:00 PM
JMHO but chances are she was honking to say "sorry for freakin' you out" because opening someone's door thinking it's your car is fairly embarrassing. I know I would have felt like a total idiot if I had done that and would have wanted to say "sorry" (hopefully I would not have resorted to honking in a similarly weird fashion, but whatever....). It sounds like it happened really fast and that you had no time to react...forget about coming up with some witty quip to appease your DH. Not sure what his hang-up is, but seems like he's making that proverbial mountain out of a molehill!

Uno-Mom
05-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Seriously weird. Could she have been trying to do an apology honk? (As if such a thing existed!)

Of course you didn't try to comfort her. Like PP said, there was just that moment when you were both startled. It would be a shock, like if you suddenly walked into an occupied public bathroom. Then she walked away before you could even say anything.

Weird weird.

ThreeofUs
05-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Nah, you were fine. I agree with pp's - she was probably mortified and tooting her horn to say "sorry!" as she went by.

mctlaw
05-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I can't see remotely anything in this scenario you could have done wrong. Maybe she was trying to prove to you she really drove a white RAV & that she wasn't really trying to steal your car?

Green_Tea
05-11-2011, 10:04 PM
I think she was probably honking at you to get your attention, so you'd see that she's got the same make/model car.

I am not sure how *you* could possibly be in the wrong or should have done anything beyond what you did.

Maybe you should send DH to the store to pick up a "Hey, it's totally OK that you mistook my car for yours" card. Would that make him feel better?

firemama
05-11-2011, 10:05 PM
I agree with PP. How are you possibly wrong?! I would have been more than startled, probably would have screamed and said some colorful words, WTH! Or I would have reacted like you and just stared and said nothing. Totally normal. And that is so weird that she honked and gestured at you! Was she that embarassed or mad you didn't say or do anything? Weird! You definitely did nothing wrong in this scenario.

bubbaray
05-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Maybe you should send DH to the store to pick up a "Hey, it's totally OK that you mistook my car for yours" card. Would that make him feel better?

Snort. :hysterical:

JamiMac
05-11-2011, 10:07 PM
She was probably honking an apology.
You weren't wrong, no one was wrong in this scenario that I can see!

:yeahthat: That's what I was thinking, like a "hey, that was funny" type thing. I didn't hear the tone of the honk though. LOL When my DS was a baby I had him on one hip coming out of the preschool and my car clicker in the other. I walked up and beeped my unlock and tugged on the handle of my Suburban and it didn't open. This went on for *several* click and tugs. I actually looked at the car and thought I didn't remember getting that scratch on the door. That is when I realized it was not my car at all! There is no way I would have been mad at someone for my mistake! :)