PDA

View Full Version : Size question

firemama
05-11-2011, 09:57 PM
I am new at this, so I need your help ladies!

DD has been in 12-18 mos clothes for a good 4 months now. We just bought summer clothes for her in 18-24 mos, and I tried them on her and they are too big.

We have been using onesie extenders on most of her onesies, and some of her pants are getting small. I just assumed she would move up to the next size for summer clothes. This time around I didn't buy onesies, so the shorts and shirts all look big. None of the shorts are adjustable, and they are practically falling off her.

The tags are still on. Should I just exchange them for 12-18 mos? Or will she grow into them by the end of June? (that is when we go on vacation).

BabyBearsMom
05-12-2011, 11:34 AM
DD usually grows out of her old size and spends a few weeks in the limbo phase and then into the new size. What I usually do is buy a few Circo brand things to get her through the in between phase (IME they run really small and are really cheap, I can buy her an outfit for less than $10). So right now, DD is growing out of her 18months Carters clothes but doesn't fit into 24 months yet, but does fit into 24 months Circo clothes. I would say that by the end of June, the next size up will probably fit.

firemama
05-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Bumping…

Anyone else? :)

sariana
05-14-2011, 03:36 PM
FWIW, both my DC (boy and girl) tend to wear smaller sizes in shorts, and, for DD, dresses. We have to size up in pants and L/S shirts much sooner than everything else.

So their summer clothes usually are in smaller sizes than their winter clothes, and summer things last more than one season.

Also, my DD stayed in 12 months forever. She got all these cute 18-month summer clothes as b-day gifts in January. She hardly wore them at all because she didn't fit into 18 months until the following winter (when she was almost 2).

I also have found that there is a huge range in size 18 months. So maybe you want to look for 18M in a brand that runs a little bigger. I would not count on the clothes fitting by the end of June, but then again, growth spurts can come at any time.

ETA: I just noticed your DD's b-day. I would stick with 18M for now. If she is in separates, they will last longer than the one-piece outfits.

catsnkid
05-15-2011, 12:00 AM
I would probably stick with the 12-18 mo size. DS is still wearing it, but he is a complete peanut but is a year older. He is almost ready for the gymbo 18-24 and he is about 25 lbs. PP is right, 18 mos clothes are pretty big range of sizes. Personally I think the gymbo 18-24 are closer to a 24 mo/size 2.

YouAreTheFocus
05-15-2011, 01:36 AM
If the 18-24 are still big on her now, I don't think she will grow into them by June. My son has been in 12-18 mo size since he turned one (in September), his 18-24 mos clothes are still too big. We tried a pair of 18-24 Gap pants today, they just slid right off and were several inches too long. I have a whole drawer stuffed with 18-24 summer clothes that I don't know if he'll ever get to wear!

I would go with the 12-18. IME this size hangs around for a loooong time!

WatchingThemGrow
05-15-2011, 07:31 AM
I find that sizing issues depend on the brands they are wearing and if you're switching brands around. Old Navy, Gap, Children's Place, Gerber, Kohl's brands all ran small on our DC whereas Gymboree, Hanna Andersson and Carter's all seemed more roomy.

Can you fold the waistband over to make it smaller for the time being? Is your DD long in the toro? Mine are and it made using those 2 piece outfits really difficult. We needed 24m tops and 12 or 18m pants/shorts. If your baby is really skinny, they'll need the smaller size shorts for sure. My 3.5yo DS1 can wear a size 4 t-shirt but can pair it with a size 18m pair of shorts any day of the week.

larig
05-15-2011, 10:21 AM
How about a dapper snapper. I just saw these now (looking for something to help you), and they look pretty cool. Might help with the waist being too big. I just love them I think I'm going to get a couple.
http://www.dappersnappers.com/

my DS is a june babe too. you'd think it'd make buying seasonally easy, but they never conform to the "standard" size do they!?

ncat
05-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Both my DCs were in 18-24m clothes from about 9-10 months until 2-2.5 years old. They grew in height, but slimmed down a lot over that time period. Shorts and t-shirts may last your DC along time in the current size.

firemama
05-15-2011, 03:50 PM
How about a dapper snapper. I just saw these now (looking for something to help you), and they look pretty cool. Might help with the waist being too big. I just love them I think I'm going to get a couple.
http://www.dappersnappers.com/

my DS is a june babe too. you'd think it'd make buying seasonally easy, but they never conform to the "standard" size do they!?

Thank you everyone for your input! These dapper snappers are GENIUS! They are kind of pricey, so my mom and I are going to make some instead. She may even have some elastic we could use. The 18 mos aren't terribly big on her, but this way I can feel better that she can at least grow into them.

Hopefully JoAnn's or Michael's has those add on clips for her shorts/skirts that don't have loops.