PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon wedding and night reception: Can I wear this?

ciw
05-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Can you wear a print to a wedding? I never have; I've always worn solid colored dresses. But I'm wondering if I can wear a dress similar to this (http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=33005&N=1200007&pCategoryId=3939&categoryId=180&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_180&loc=TN&gridSize=sm&showAll=true&defaultColor=Black&defaultSizeType=Regular). My dress is slightly different -- my neckline is a bit lower and the pattern is more of a geometric print. My dress might be slightly dressier than the one in the link. But the general idea is the same -- a black and white sheath. I'd wear a black shrug to the ceremony and likely ditch it for the reception. But...I'm uncertain about wearing a print. The timing of the reception is throwing me off a bit too. The ceremony is at 2 p.m. but the wedding isn't until 6 (off topic, but I HATE when people do this. I know they do if for the pics but what are their out-of-town guests supposed to do for three hours?). So while I think a print might be fine for an afternoon wedding, is it less fine for an evening reception? I don't want to change dresses between the two events so if a print doesn't work for the reception, then I'm just going to wear a LBD and be done with it. If it matters, the ceremony is at a Catholic church and the reception at a formal historic venue -- both are in a large city.

BabyBearsMom
05-12-2011, 12:02 PM
I think that is totally fine, especially if you dress it up with nice pumps and jewelry.

weech
05-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Totally fine! I really want that AT dress. I agree about ceremony/reception timing - I HATE that!

SnuggleBuggles
05-12-2011, 12:18 PM
It'll be great!

Oh, and I agree with you on timing!! What are you supposed to do while all dressed up??

Beth

Melaine
05-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Breaking up the wedding like that makes no sense...but I love the dress and would wear it to either (I think your similar print dress will be fine, as well!)

elektra
05-12-2011, 12:56 PM
That dress looks perfect for both to me!

TwinFoxes
05-12-2011, 01:44 PM
That dress looks perfect for both to me!

:yeahthat: I think it's cute.

firemama
05-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Totally fine! I really want that AT dress. I agree about ceremony/reception timing - I HATE that!

:yeahthat:

I say wear your print dress, and dress it up with a fun color shoe and bag. Use the black shrug for the ceremony since it is at a Catholic church, and ditch it later like you said.

I hate the ceremony/reception timing thing too. Such an inconvenience! I guess I am not as traditional in this aspect, but we did pictures before the ceremony so we could get the party started! My DH and I got ready separately and saw each other for the first time, just us and the photographer, no one else. Then the wedding party/family joined us and got the pictures done. And everything was all at the same location.

jvs195
05-12-2011, 07:29 PM
I love to see (or wear) prints at weddings since the bride and the bridesmaids are generally all solids. Maybe put some snazzier/sparkly jewelry on for the reception? Higher heels?

YouAreTheFocus
05-12-2011, 07:40 PM
I agree with the PPs, dress is adorable and perfect for afternoon or evening!! I had an afternoon wedding into evening reception (no break in between, tho) and would have been thrilled with ladies wearing dresses like that. Perfect!

DrSally
05-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Wow, awesome dress! I think it would be great!

kwc
05-13-2011, 01:38 AM
I often wear prints to weddings because I don't want to look like I want to be a bridesmaid, KWIM?

And I think it is perfect for the time spread of the wedding/ reception.

We used to go to a ton of weddings (huge family) and many weddings we went to had a break in between... between my Asian family (bride and some family members change for evening reception) and DH's Catholic family (many Catholic churches have Saturday vigil Mass at 5pm so they want it cleaned up and empty by 4:30), there was often time for a mid-afternoon siesta or Jamba Juice... comes in handy these days if the kids are with us as they often don't like reception food.

ciw
05-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Sorry I'm late getting back to this thread. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input. I'm still undecided about what I'm wearing but it's nice to know that I can wear the print dress if need be!