PDA

View Full Version : Drowsy but not asleep?

Lupe
05-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Hi all,
DS is now 11 weeks and the pediatrician said it is time to set up good sleep habits. Until now he nurses to sleep, he literally drinks until he passes out.
During the day, I will gently burp him to wake him up, change his diaper (he loves getting his diaper changed) play, and when start seeing signs of tirdeness rock him a little bit, give him his pacifier and blankie and put him in the swing for naps. He naps very well like this. At night I used to change him, massage, book, swaddle and nurse him and just put him into bed, but I do not want him to rely on feeding for falling asleep. Even then there is no drowsy to bed, he falls asleep like a rock

I tried starting with nursing, then change, massage,book, swaddle, rock sleep and it only works with a pacifier, he goes to bed drowsy but as soon as the binkie comes off he wakes up crying. I cannot get him to get sleepy without sucking something, he evens fights the rocking while yawning if he doesn't have his binkie. He still needs his swaddle or he startles himself awake, tried the other night

Any ideas on how to put him down drowsy without a pacifier? or should I just keep trying?Should I just ban the binkie cold turkey?
I just ordered a sleep sheep to see if I can add that to the ritual to soothe him
I have gone back to nurse him to sleep because that is the only way he stays asleep. He is too young to let him CIO right? Although I am more in favor of ferberizing

LMPC
05-12-2011, 09:13 PM
At 11 weeks, I would just be sticking the paci back in his mouth :tongue5: I am big believer in pacis and that some kids just need to suck. I would not be worried about getting rid of the paci now....just about teaching him how to keep it in his mouth better lol. fwiw, DD used to do the same thing....paci would pop out and she would wake up. After a while she got the hang of it!

wellyes
05-12-2011, 09:21 PM
You sound like you're doing great!

Most babies start falling into a routine around 12 weeks including longer sleeping at night --- just normal development. Keep doing what you're doing. I personally wouldn't dream of taking away a paci from a baby that young, and nursing to sleep is fine at that point. Keep trying to make a bedtime routine and experiment with different people trying to put him to bed (if you have family / a husband around). All stuff you're probably already trying, just keep it up :thumbsup:

I ferberized both kids, I am a supporter of that, but it's not on the horizon for you just yet. Starts 5 months at the earliest.

11 weeks is hard, it gets better. Trust me.

TxCat
05-12-2011, 11:45 PM
I agree with everything the PP's have said.

I also had a hard time with the drowsy but not asleep part. You know what - you've gotta go with what is working for you and your family. Pacifier use can be really controversial, but even those strictest about paci use, usually say it is okay up until 6 months. I would definitely keep up with the paci at this point.

FWIW, DD is 6 months and we Ferberized her at 4 1/2 months (fail), and then again at 6 months (success). She still feeds right before bed, or gets her paci. She sleeps through the night, so I'm not going to insist on taking either one away right now. Would I prefer that she not need the bottle or the paci? Yes, and I realize that there could come a time where these become negative sleep associations. But right now it works (and she doesn't wake up at night looking for the bottle or the paci).

Lupe
05-13-2011, 08:38 AM
I am not against the paci at all, I just wish he would keep it in his mouth!
I want my husband to get him in bed too, but he has to use the paci (he has no boob,LOL!), he has managed to put him to sleep but it is always the same thing, paci goes out and crying starts.
I am surprised no one had invented yet a device to keep pacifiers in the mouth, whoever does will be a millionaire.
In my most sleep deprived times I have seriously thought of using a little bit of tape to keep it on. How do you teach them to keep the pacifier?
I tried the "reverse psychology" from happiest baby on the block, but he doesn't seem to fight getting the paci out
for the record, he has a hard time sucking, he had to had tongue-tie surgery at 2 weeks and we are likely going for a revision soon, since he still cannot stick his tongue far enough.

TxCat
05-13-2011, 10:22 AM
I am not against the paci at all, I just wish he would keep it in his mouth!
I want my husband to get him in bed too, but he has to use the paci (he has no boob,LOL!), he has managed to put him to sleep but it is always the same thing, paci goes out and crying starts.
I am surprised no one had invented yet a device to keep pacifiers in the mouth, whoever does will be a millionaire.
In my most sleep deprived times I have seriously thought of using a little bit of tape to keep it on. How do you teach them to keep the pacifier?
I tried the "reverse psychology" from happiest baby on the block, but he doesn't seem to fight getting the paci out
for the record, he has a hard time sucking, he had to had tongue-tie surgery at 2 weeks and we are likely going for a revision soon, since he still cannot stick his tongue far enough.

Have you tried the Wubbanub's? Basically it's a soothie pacifier attached to a little stuffed animal - the animal gives it some heft, so I found it was harder for DD to "lose" it during the night.

http://www.amazon.com/Wubbanub-Infant-Plush-Pacifier-Brown/dp/B001FGL9X0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1305296488&sr=8-5

Lupe
05-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks, Just bought one from amazon
lets see if he likes it