PDA

View Full Version : Food Report - w/ Food Allergies at WDW

alien_host
05-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Since my Trip Report wasn't long enough....;) We were on the regular Disney Dining Plan but had to pay OOP for a few meals b/c we had too many. I paid for CRT OOP (normally 2 credits) and one meal at the Wave.

We have had very good luck eating at WDW w/ food allergies (peanut and tree nut). I HIGHLY recommending noting your FA on your ADR and contacting the Special Diets Department about 2 weeks prior. SD will e-mail you info on what allergy free foods are available, what to avoid and you fill out a sheet with your ADRs so they can notify chefs.

Table Service:
Cinderella's Royal Table - Lunch
Allergy notes:
The chef came to speak with us. DD did decorate your own cupcake. He was comfortable with the cupcake but said the chocolate chips shouldn't be eaten (made in a facility w/ tree nuts). He said they would leave off the mickey head white chocolate decoration. They also brought her an allergy free cake (small bundt cake, I think it was also gluten free). They actually forgot to leave off the chocolate, I took it off. Since it was only "may contains" I didn't make a big deal about it. DD only ate a bit of the cupcake anyway.

Food:
We actually really enjoyed the food. DH and I both had the Major Domo's pie. DD had chicken nuggets. The antipasto platter was yummy.

Service:
Fantastic, our server was great. We were there for a while but DD really enjoyed it. We were there for DD's birthday (week before) and they put a candle in her cake and we sang. They also gave her a card signed by all the princesses.

Character interaction: Great - Snow White, Ariel, Aurora and Belle (in blue non-ball gown). They were all chatty and fun.

The Wave @ the Contemporary - Dinner twice

Allergy notes: Chef came out both times and we talked about the menu. They offered DD a roll (tapioca) that was safe for her as they warned the bread could be cross-contaminated. They also gave her ice cream for dessert that was safe. To be honest I don't normally allow ice cream b/c it can be crosscontaminated easily. The first night I asked for fruit and the server also brought ice cream that she said the chef said was safe. I let DD eat it and it was fine. She had it again the second night as a different chef said it was safe. I should probably have challenged it more but all was OK.

Food: Food was very good both times. I had fish one night and just soup/salad another. DH had pasta w/ shrimp one night and the steak another night. We had desserts only when we used the DDP, both were excellent (3 little ones with 2-3 bites each).

DD had the chicken quesadilla and the cheese burger w/ sweet potato fries.

When on DDP, get a smoothie or milk shake as your non-alcololic beverage.

Service: Excellent both times.

California Grill at the Contemporary - Dinner

Allergy notes: Chef did not come out, which bugged me. The waiter assured me that the kids menu was fine for a nut allergy. She could not eat the bread. They did have goldfish crackers. They did not offer her a nut safe dessert besides fresh fruit.

Food: Excellent. I had the beef tenderloin...very yummy and cooked perfect. DH had the tuna. DD had pizza. I had the Valrhona Chocolate Cake for dessert....yummy! If on DDP, get a virgin drink (pina colada!)

Service: I thought was average. Last year we had much better service. I noticed they brought out goldfish for the kids at all other tables but we had to ask and then it took forever. Other tables also had plates of lemon for their water. The waiter was very abrupt and when he put down DD's fruit cup for dessert and our stuff he said, "this is not to share", pointing at ours. While I appreciated the reminder, he could have been more subtle or nice about it instead of reinforcing to DD what she couldn't have.

Narcoossee's at the Grand Flordian - Dinner

Allergy notes: The Chef came out and talked with us. He was confident that the bread was safe as it was made on sight and he knows they don't make it near nuts and wash pans. No nuts in the fryer. The smores dessert has a Hersey bar w/ no nut warnings.

Food: Excellent. I had the lobster. DH had the filet mignon. DD had chicken nuggets. I had the creme brulee duo - so good, the coconut one was devine. DH had the gelato. DD had a huge plate of make your own smores.....enough for 4 smores....she loved it. Oh and she was so excited that they had mickey head straws for her drink....why doesn't the Cali. Grill do this too?

Service: Excellent. DD's birthday was still noted b/c when I made the ADRs I guess they put it on everyone. They had mickey head confetti on the table for her. Made her a birthday button. Her S'mores plate had happy birthday written on it. She was thrilled.

Bonus: we saw a man propose :love-retry: Cute. After seeing that DD proclaimed that she is getting married at WDW.

Chef Mickey's - Dinner

Allergy notes: Chef Rob came out and talked with us. He actually had called me at home last year when I asked if DD could have the Mickey Head waffles (she was egg allergic then). He was amazing. He talked me through the buffet...there are Reeces Pieces at the ice cream bar. Nothing else had nuts but the carrot cake.

Food: I thought it would be horrible but it was good! They brought out Diives (nut free) cookies for her and a safe cupcake.

Service: Excellent. Our server brought DD extra juice boxes and asked if we wanted a few to take back to our room. She was super friendly and nice.

Character Interaction: As I mentioned in our trip report it was great. I think b/c we were flagged as birthday the characters made a big deal. We also were by the entrance to that area so they stopped to see us when coming and going.

Counter Service: Ask for a manager when you arrive and they will take you through a binder w/ ingredient lists. Each place worked out great.

MK: Peco Bills - serves PBJ but they are Uncrustables so sealed. DD opted for a hot dog from the cart out front. DH and I got burgers and I got DD an Enjoy Life cookie for dessert and ate her cookie from the cart.

AK: Pizzafari - they also have Enjoy Life Cookies

EPCOT: Sunshine Seasons....I got overwhelmed and forgot to ask about a nut free dessert but DD had applesauce. The dessert case is great here though.

DHS: Pizza Planet....they also have Enjoy Life Cookies

DTD: Wolfgang Puck's Express - very knowledgable about allergy...I forgot to ask if they had allergy safe desserts though. I just took the cookie and put it away for DH and I later.

Contempo Cafe: DD had waffles for breakfast. They also have allergy friendly cookies and brownies for snacks/dessert.

I think that is it. The DDP works for us. We ate all our credits. We had 3 CS leftover so had breakfast the day we left and converted 1 CS to 3 snacks for stuff for the plane.

FINAL NOTE: I really only intended to put DD's birthday note on the first meal (CRT). Since we go right after her birthday we do one meal to celebrate. However it was noted on all the ADRs, I think b/c I did it via phone. The ONLY place they didn't acknowledge it was Cali Grill. I was sort of embarassed that they kept saying happy birthday to her...it was like last night's Rules of Engagement episode where the neighbor guy kept getting free stuff for proposing to his fiance. I don't recommend "milking" the b'day thing necessarily and I really didn't intend to but it worked out well. DD wouldn't even really wear the birthday button b/c everytime someone said "Happy Birthday" she felt she needed to explain, "well it was last week" ;)

Dream
05-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Great report, thanks. We'll be at disney in july. DDs under 3 so we're not paying for her. But can we specify her allergies to them? I knoe she's supposed to eat from my plate but then I need to know what's in the food.

alien_host
05-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Great report, thanks. We'll be at disney in july. DDs under 3 so we're not paying for her. But can we specify her allergies to them? I knoe she's supposed to eat from my plate but then I need to know what's in the food.

I would still e-mail Special Diets and get the form. You can note your ADRs and that she will be there. When you check in for your ADR you can ask if it is noted on your ADR and if a chef will come by. Each table has a printed "receipt"/ticket for the server - ours always had SPECIAL DIETS stamped in red across it so the server knows.

Then speak w/ your server as well when you sit down. What are your DD's allergies?

You'll have a great time, we find eating at WDW so easy and accomodating, despite the allergies.

ETA: sorry I didn't finish my thought....like Melissa said, tell them when you make your ADRs about the food allergy so it is listed. I can't remember if they ask "who", I don't think it matters. On the Special Diets form they ask for the name of the person.

bubbaray
05-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Yes, you can definitely specify allergies on your ADRs for a child under 3. We did that with DD#2 on our first visit to DL (she was 2).

Dream
05-13-2011, 02:23 PM
What are your DD's allergies?

Peanuts and Egg white.

alien_host
05-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Dream - DD was also egg allergic in 2010 when we went. If you are doing a breakfast buffet, you can ask for your meal to be plated in the kitchen so you don't have to risk cross-contamination from the buffet.

Peanuts were easy to avoid. The desserts and baked goods where the most trouble - most are made in a central WDW bakery and could have cross-contamination yadda yadda yadda....but we were tree nut too so you might have better luck with just peanut.

I found most buffets don't have peanuts....although we did not eat at Ohana for this reason, I was nervous about the peanut sauce and it being on tables/stuff - I heard the kids do limbo and dance around, I didn't want my DD touching peanut residue and then putting her hands in her mouth. I might try it as she gets older.

I think the Diivies and Enjoy Life are OK for egg allergic, but double check.

icunurse
05-14-2011, 12:47 PM
My friend just came back from Disney 2 weeks ago and her DS is allergic to eggs. She had a great time and said that all the places were great about letting her know what was in the food, etc. I guess the biggest thing for her was that the chicken nuggets contain egg and when her DS wanted fries, she had to verify that the nuggets and fries didn't share the same oil. Chef Mickey's made him egg-free Mickey waffles, so he was thrilled! Overall, she said it was a greta trip and she felt like people were looking out for her, which was a ncie break.

MSWR0319
05-14-2011, 01:16 PM

Yes, email or call Dining services 2 weeks before. We just got back and DS was only 2.5 but I still contacted them. They emailed me an entire list of items for counter service restaurants that DS could have (peanut allergy) and I printed that off and carried it around in my bag so I knew where we should stop and what to ask for. We also double checked when we got to the restaurant. They also sent me a form that I filled out and sent back in for ADR's so they knew when to send a chef out. The chef came out and spoke with us as Tusker House even though we weren't paying for DS since he would be eating there.

Just a note for peanut allergy people: Dining services also sent me an email and let me know that the birds in AK are fed peanuts and if there is a CM walking around with them for a show or just for people to see, the CM will have peanuts in his pocket and may have peanut oil on his hands from feeding the birds, so we should not let DS touch the CM or the birds.

DrSally
05-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Great report! The smores sound like so much fun. I'm really impressed they had so many safe desserts. I really want to go to WDW when DD gets older. I've heard such great things about how they work with food allergies.

DrSally
05-15-2011, 12:00 AM
Answered my own question.

dfb05
05-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Great report! We are so excited for our upcoming trip, and it's our 2nd time with free dining!! My DS who will be 2 at the time is milk/soy intolerant. I may just contact Special Diets to see what, if anything, he can eat off of our plates. It'll make it MUCH easier if he can at least eat some of the same things. Last year we had dining plan for myself, DH, & DD, but i still had to bring/make send food ahead & spend a good hour each day getting his meals & snacks together (usually at the end of the day when DH was already snoring away in bed! :loveeyes: ). If I know he can eat something, it'll make it a little easier on me. Plus, he's older now & wants whatever he can't have!!

alien_host
05-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Great report! The smores sound like so much fun. I'm really impressed they had so many safe desserts. I really want to go to WDW when DD gets older. I've heard such great things about how they work with food allergies.

I have to admit that I probably took a few more risks than I do at home. I don't normally let DD have ice cream, even if it doesn't have a nut warning I tend to err on the side of caution. I'm actually going to e-mail them and find out the brand because I want to know. I really felt like the chef knew what he was talking about although in hindsight I should have asked to see the label.

I do love it there though, they really do understand FA and it really makes you feel "normal". It helps make it magical.

MSWR0319
05-16-2011, 07:40 AM
I have to admit that I probably took a few more risks than I do at home. I don't normally let DD have ice cream, even if it doesn't have a nut warning I tend to err on the side of caution. I'm actually going to e-mail them and find out the brand because I want to know. I really felt like the chef knew what he was talking about although in hindsight I should have asked to see the label.

I do love it there though, they really do understand FA and it really makes you feel "normal". It helps make it magical.

If you find out the brand, would you mind posting it here? We don't let Ds eat ice cream either. But we did let him eat the Mickey ice cream bar because it was on the safe list and I didn't see any warning, although I will admit it made me super nervous!

alien_host
05-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Just a note for peanut allergy people: Dining services also sent me an email and let me know that the birds in AK are fed peanuts and if there is a CM walking around with them for a show or just for people to see, the CM will have peanuts in his pocket and may have peanut oil on his hands from feeding the birds, so we should not let DS touch the CM or the birds.

This is a good point, Disney did tell me about this as well. Funny story...at AK DD was watching a CM feed a parrot a peanut. She was very interested and asked a lot of questions. The CM told her the parrot was having a peanut. He then asked her if she wanted to have a job there and feed the birds. Her reply was, "I would, but I can't because I'm allergic to peanuts." I thought that was cute that she made a point to say she couldn't have the job b/c she was allergic.

alien_host
05-16-2011, 09:51 AM
If you find out the brand, would you mind posting it here? We don't let Ds eat ice cream either. But we did let him eat the Mickey ice cream bar because it was on the safe list and I didn't see any warning, although I will admit it made me super nervous!

I've sent Special Diets an e-mail, I'll let you know if they respond.

peanut520
05-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Great trip report!!!! Really enjoyed it, and I'm so glad they take allergies so seriously. We are going in sept with my mom who has anaphylaxis reaction to sunflower seed and sunflower seed oil depending on how it is made. I worry able her since I've taken her to the er before, but she constantly forgets about it since it didn't start until her late 50-early 60's.