PDA

View Full Version : when did your marathon nurser get a little faster?

okinawama
05-13-2011, 05:04 PM
I have a three week old who is a marathon nurser. He would love to nurse for 45min-1hr. I understand at this young age, this is normal, however, my 25 month old son isn't dealing well with me sitting for an hour at a time every 3 hours.

I have a special box of toys that he gets to play with while I'm nursing his brother, and I often use a video, but it's just not cutting it anymore.

When I can expect my little guy to become a more efficient/quicker nurser?

brittone2
05-14-2011, 03:43 PM
DO you own any slings? I know at some point we were able to get each baby to nurse in the sling, making it easier to interact with the older kids.

okinawama
05-14-2011, 03:46 PM
I do, I must need a little more practice though because I couldn't figure it out. I also imagine that it will get a little easier when my little guy doesn't need so much assistance from me to latch on and stay there. I felt like I'd get him latched on, get the sling adjusted, and then he'd come unlatched and need help again. We'll keep at it though.

SnuggleBuggles
05-14-2011, 05:14 PM
I thought it was like 6-8 weeks, after that last major growth spurt. I got really good at walking around or nursing in really strange places and positions with ds2 so I could be with ds1. GL!

Beth

essnce629
05-14-2011, 06:17 PM
DS2 was the same way-- would nurse for an hour total each time. Like Beth, I think it only lasted the first 6 weeks or so. Do you have a My Best Friend pillow? It's my favorite nursing pillow since it attaches to you and you can get up and walk around with baby if you need too (like Michelle Duggar does!)

daisymommy
05-15-2011, 03:44 PM
For my babies, it was at about 2-3 months.

I would put together a fun bag of toys that are special and only comes out when you nurse, so your toddler looks forward to it. Use TV and videos if you need to during this difficult time. It won't be forever. **Sorry! I just saw that you were already doing that!**

Just an FYI...trying to be helpful here...I know you are struggling with some supply issues. I would be nursing at least every 2 hours. At that age, I was nursing every 1.5-2 hours. Follow the baby's cues, not the clock. 3 hours is a bit long of a stretch between feedings when you are trying to improve your milk supply.

BabyBearsMom
05-16-2011, 08:32 AM
DD was like that. 30 minutes each side. But around 6 weeks she started cutting down. She was never a super fast nurser, but we eventually got it down to 15 minutes each side.

PGTB
05-19-2011, 02:57 PM
DS had issues nursing, huge issues. I started pretty much with exclusive pumping. It was not until he was 3 months old when he got a hold of nursing. Now, that he is 12 months, he still takes about 10 min avg for a nursing session, but at this point he also uses me as a pacifier to go to sleep, so it can be longer. I only nurse mornings/nights/evenings, in the daytime, if he wants to nurse when it's the weekend, it takes about 5 min max.

babyfiorina1
05-19-2011, 11:15 PM
My girl is an all-business when it comes to nursing. She used to nurse 15-20 minutes each side every 1 - 1 1/2 hour from the day she was born until around 6 weeks of age. Then she's down to 10-15 minutes each side every 1 1/2 hour for about a month and then down to 10 minutes for 1 1/2 - 2 hour max on just one side and she's still nursing only one side from that point until now (6 month old). But now it only took her 4-5 minute to empty one breast and she's good for about 2 1/2 hours sometimes can stretch up to 3 hours. Normally they get more and more efficient and stronger suction as they grow. At night she's sleeping 6-7 hour stretch, so I only nurse her before she goes to bed at 9 pm and then 3 or 4 am in the morning.