PDA

View Full Version : Homemade laundry soap and darks

infomama
05-13-2011, 11:47 PM
If you make this (the powdered laundry soap) http://www.duggarfamily.com/recipes.html do you find it is hard on/fades darks anymore than normal?

snowbunnies300
05-16-2011, 08:36 AM
I haven't seen a problem and have been using a version of this recipe all winter. I changed mine recently to include Castile soap as well as the Fels.

1 bar Fels
1 bar Dr Bronner's Castile soap (Trader Joes ~ love the peppermint scent)
2 cups Washing Soda
2 cups Borax

Grate the bars of soap. Take half of the grated soap and add to a food processor. Add 1 cup each of the washing soda and borax. Pulse till bar soap is very small pieces. Empty processor bowl and repeat with remaining ingredients.

I found that my front loader machine sometimes had a hard time disolving the grated bar soaps so I read on-line about a woman who processed her batches. Since then I've not had a problem. I have also made the liquid recipe as well. I think it would work better for a top loader machine wherein you can rinse out your messuring cup in the washer as the basket fills with water. I found the liquid to be messier with a front loader since I couldn't rinse out my messuring cup. I would funnel the homemade soap into an old Purex bottle. Now that I make the powder form I just use an old Tuperware container and use 1 heaping TBSP of powder for each load (along with a slash of amonia). I have been very pleased with the washing results. My mom wanted to know if it got your clothes clean. I said I've been using it for months and no one has told us we stink!

My mom noticed that it isn't all that effective with grease stains and you do have to pre-treat like any other laundry soap.

Wife_and_mommy
05-16-2011, 09:35 AM
I've been using the liquid version for well over a year. The liquid version lasts *much* longer than the dry.

I would say this soap does have a more of a "bleaching" quality than, say, All f/c but I've never had it lighten darks, etc. The reason I say it has a bleaching quality is because the Fels Naptha does so well on stains(just wet the bar, rub on stain.) I've never had a stain not come out when I used that method.

Hth.

DietCokeLover
05-16-2011, 09:38 AM
I've been using the liquid for almost a year and have not had any difficulties with it. We've been pleased. And it definitely lasts longer than the powder. My batch that I made LAST June just ran out a few weeks ago!

kochh2
05-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Ok, so as soon as my All F & C bottle is done, i plan on making this- have all the ingredients on hand including a big enough bucket to mix in, so DH can't stop me... he thinks it will be a waste of time and not much cheapers. LOL... But, he'll humor me so i can prove him wrong :love2:.

Anyway, I am sadly excited to do this... but my question is- Fels.... WHere on earth do you guys find it?/ I had to order it from amazon, which is not exactly the cheapest method... but as a stain pretreater, i want another bar to keep whole in my laundry room... i'm on long island, in case anyone can weigh in locally!!

DebbieJ
05-20-2011, 11:20 AM
I make their liquid version and haven't noticed any "bleaching"

And it lasts FOREVER!!!!

I found Fels-Naptha at Ace Hardware! Try your local hardware store.

DietCokeLover
05-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Ok, so as soon as my All F & C bottle is done, i plan on making this- have all the ingredients on hand including a big enough bucket to mix in, so DH can't stop me... he thinks it will be a waste of time and not much cheapers. LOL... But, he'll humor me so i can prove him wrong :love2:.

Anyway, I am sadly excited to do this... but my question is- Fels.... WHere on earth do you guys find it?/ I had to order it from amazon, which is not exactly the cheapest method... but as a stain pretreater, i want another bar to keep whole in my laundry room... i'm on long island, in case anyone can weigh in locally!!

I bought mine at our local grocery store, but noticed recently that our Podunk Walmart just started carrying it. $.99 a bar.

infomama
05-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks all. I think I'll make the liquid.