PDA

View Full Version : Pilates update

niccig
05-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Pilates is still kicking me. I'm more sore than I have ever been - but a good sore. I've done 7 classes, and I'm getting a little better with the technique. You have to sign up online for the classes ahead of time, and there's a fine if you don't cancel w/i 24 hours, so I've made sure I've gone.

So far, I've lost 5lbs - but I did change my eating habits to no snacking. I also don't think our scale is the most accurate, so I may not have lost that much. I need to get started on cardio and this week I'm going to try to make 2 zumba classes and get on the eliptical at home.

My initial goal is to fit back into my summer clothes before the summer is over. I have a few things that still fit, but several items don't. I would like to then go a little further and get myself into shape as I've always wanted.

I feel better for just doing something.

infomama
05-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Good for you! Keep it up!

WatchingThemGrow
05-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Wow, that's inspiring. Sadly, the closest I've gotten to Pilates is that a Pilates teacher lives 3 doors down, lol. She's fit and we have playdates. Maybe I'll try a class one day soon!

Good for you trying all these different things to keep moving. It's motivating to others!

niccig
05-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Wow, that's inspiring. Sadly, the closest I've gotten to Pilates is that a Pilates teacher lives 3 doors down, lol. She's fit and we have playdates. Maybe I'll try a class one day soon!

Good for you trying all these different things to keep moving. It's motivating to others!

I've wanted to try pilates, but it's expensive. I found this one place that does group reformer classes, and it works out to $9 a class (you pay for so many a month). I've been going to their technique class and I'm hoping to work up to their regular classes. DH gave me a gift subscription for 2 months for Christmas, and I'm going to ask for a subscription as birthday present etc, so I'm not paying for as many months out of pocket.

It's a little more expensive than our Y subscription, which I'm going to cancel. I can't take DS anymore because I'm back in school and their swim class times don't work for us - and I didn't really like how they taught swimming. We'll just do the private lessons we were doing over the summer. I haven't gone to a gym class in ages, as the ones I want, don't work for my schedule.

Honestly, the pilates doesn't feel like I'm going to the gym. There's none of the dragging myself out the door. I felt the same about the zumba class too, and I was disappointed I couldn't go the last 2 weeks because of my schedule. So I figure it's better to be paying a little more and actually doing something.

I also think the pilates is doing more than other strength training has done - I've done boot camp and worked out once a week with a personal trainer after DS was born, so I've done some regular strength training. We do some moves that work muscles in a way I've never experienced - some of it is very small movements, but the instructor says "when pull feet in, push with big toe and that will work the inner thighs, and when I push my big toe like she says, I can feel it so much more than when I don't push with my toe. And I'm sweating. It's difficult. Some moves I have to work up to - I can't hold plank for long enough etc, but with time I should strengthen my core to be able to do that.

infomama
05-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Honestly, the pilates doesn't feel like I'm going to the gym. There's none of the dragging myself out the door. I felt the same about the zumba class too, and I was disappointed I couldn't go the last 2 weeks because of my schedule. So I figure it's better to be paying a little more and actually doing something...
That's how I feel about Yoga. I think when you tap into this feeling you have found your golden ticket to mind/body wellness. Congrats!

niccig
05-14-2011, 11:56 PM
That's how I feel about Yoga. I think when you tap into this feeling you have found your golden ticket to mind/body wellness. Congrats!

I'm hoping I have. I've always wanted to be in better shape - yes for appearances, but also to be stronger, more stamina etc. I don't mind doing the eliptical at home, I didn't mind working out at the gym, but it was easy to put them off. I don't feel this way about the pilates. I've only made it to one zumba class, but I really enjoyed it - way more than any aerobics at the gym.

So, I'm going to try a non-gym approach. Pilates, zumba and some eliptical at home.

hillview
05-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Thanks for posting. I have been thinking about trying pilates and this helped me. I think I will try a class!
/hillary

cvanbrunt
05-15-2011, 08:17 AM
Honestly, the pilates doesn't feel like I'm going to the gym. There's none of the dragging myself out the door.

This is how I feel about it, too. I never exercised regularly in my life and was just feeling my age. I am soooo much stronger and the hour just flies by. I get really cranky if I don't get my three classes a week in. Yesterday, my instructor said it was clear a series on the reformer is not challenge at all anymore. So she cranked it up a notch and I can barely lift my arms. It is a great kind of hurt. I do elliptical at home for cardio, it's a combo for me.

I love it so much I'm in the middle of instructor training!