PDA

View Full Version : Do you work out while sick?

babybell
05-14-2011, 08:37 PM
I started running a few weeks ago and then came down with a nasty cold this week and just couldn't bring myself to do it. Did I cop out? Do you work out/exercise when you're sick?

SnuggleBuggles
05-14-2011, 08:41 PM
I asked the same thing a few months ago. :) I think if you go back some on the Mommy Fit board you'll find some more replies if you don't get many here. I usually don't have the oomph to do it but if I have a class scheduled then I go to that unless I am miserably sick. The one day I was debating and posted about wound up being pouring down rain and the choice was made for me (I run outside). Rest is usually a good thing though. Go by how you feel. Only you know if you'll be totally sapped and regret it.

Beth

babybell
05-14-2011, 08:46 PM
I asked the same thing a few months ago. :) I think if you go back some on the Mommy Fit board you'll find some more replies if you don't get many here. I usually don't have the oomph to do it but if I have a class scheduled then I go to that unless I am miserably sick. The one day I was debating and posted about wound up being pouring down rain and the choice was made for me (I run outside). Rest is usually a good thing though. Go by how you feel. Only you know if you'll be totally sapped and regret it.

Beth

Oh yeah! I forgot that board existed! Thanks. :) I kind of wish it was raining, then I could really justify it to myself for not pushing myself (I run outside too). Oh well.

infomama
05-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Nope. I rest and get well.

hillview
05-15-2011, 06:39 AM
I work out.
/hillary

mackmama
05-15-2011, 07:26 PM
I do not. I rest until I'm better.

3sweetgirls
05-16-2011, 11:40 AM
I rest because I know my body, and I always get worse when I exert myself.

artvandalay
05-16-2011, 11:41 AM
No, I do not work out. I figure my body is already working to fight off an infection/virus, and rest is what it needs.

mikala
05-16-2011, 11:14 PM
It depends on the type of illness. For milder illnesses I sometimes continue to work out but shorten the duration or intensity. If it's a chest cold I don't work out because I struggle to breathe.

This article has some guidelines:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/AN01097

egoldber
05-17-2011, 07:05 AM
:yeahthat:

I do if I am only a little sick. If I am sick enough to stay home from work, then I am too wick to workout. I do scale back on intensity. I wouldn't do step or kickboxing, but I would lift weights.

Whenever I have stopped working out entirely when sick, I have a REALLY hard time getting back into the groove again. Whereas if I work out at least a little, I seem to not lose the momentum.

bisous
05-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Nope. But then that is hardly the only excuse I use to get out of working out. I admire those of you who stick with your workout throughout your illness and I hope to join your ranks some day.