PDA

View Full Version : Cruise with 2 kids-tips?

momtoonegirl
05-14-2011, 09:06 PM
We are taking the kids on a weeklong cruise this summer. DH and I went on cruises before kids, but this our 1st "family vacation". I was wondering if you all had some tips you could share with us on the following:

1) Packing a stroller for DS (will be 12 months old when we go). I have a Peg P3, cheap umbrella, and Mia Moda Cielo stroller. We will also take his carseat (Snugride35). I also will bring my Ergo carrier.

2) Diapers. How to pack these?

3) How best to fit all of that we need in the luggage? DH and I tend to be light packers.

Luckily DS and DD are good travelers, both on the plane and hotels. We have a day ashore before we sail, so we won't be tired and harried getting to the ship,etc.

If anyone has BTDT advice, I would appreciate it! :)

ged
05-15-2011, 01:57 PM
going on our first post kids cruise as well in about a month. 6 year old and 13 month old. no btdt advice as of yet!

BeachBum
05-15-2011, 03:23 PM
We went on a cruise when our twins were 10 months and our oldest was four. It worked out great! We never used the stroller....we popped them in the ergo and it worked so much better for us. that said, most of our port days were spent at the beach, or at a hotel that sold day passes for the pool and facilities.
I just stuck new unopned packages of diapers (they are packed so tight)right into the suitcase, or the outside large pockets of the suitcase. I do think it's important to pack "day bags" so that it is easy to grab a bag to take to the pool or to dinner or a regular diaper bag. Having a few options made my life easier.

I know it's not a popular viewpoint, but we didn't bring a carseat and I didn't see anyone else with one either. We took busses when we could and hopped a 10 minute cab ride occasionally. I think everyone has to make their own decision about schlepping that around all day.

have fun!

geochick
05-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Dh and I used to be big cruisers. Then we had kids. We took the kids on one cruise, and now we go to all-inclusive resorts.

Biggest tip - book connecting cabins. My biggest problem with cruises is sleeping in a tiny sardine can. My kids go to bed early, and my husband goes to bed late. Because of this, I always recommend people without connecting cabins bring those removable hooks and some twine. You can make a little room divider out of it...with a sheet draped over the laundry line.

Kids' Club. On Carnival they let us go in the kids' club with our kids on embarkation day. This is the only time adults are allowed in the club. I'm so glad we went after we got all settled. We were able to show the kids around.

Storage - Use the space under the bed to store as much as possible. Take the smallest stroller you can get away with. You have to store it in your cabin, and that's tough. A lot of the time, they won't let you store anything on your balcony. Storing car seats is tough too.

Over the door shoe organizer - take one of these (sometimes the dollar store has one). There isn't a lot of room in the bathroom. Store sunscreen, brushes, diaper cream, toothbrushes, toothpastes, etc., in one of these hung over a door in the cabin. this is my favorite tip.

Pack diapers anywhere you like. Use the extra space on the return trip for souvenirs. I took lots of Dollar Store toys for the kids. We didn't want to bring them home, so all the space the toys took up on the way was available on the return trip for souvenirs.

Does your cabin have a bathtub? If not, you can bring a small inflatable kid tub. They fit right inside the shower stall. You can also take these to the pool. Many/Most pools are off limits to kids in diapers. If you bring your own, you can fill it up with pool water, and drain it in a drain on the deck. Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Kirby-Inflatable-Tub/dp/B001MTELJY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305487522&sr=8-2

There's a family cruising forum on Cruise Critic.

kaharris83
05-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Another way to handle the diapers situation is to order them and have them delivered to the hotel you're staying at the night before. That's how we usually handle the diapers situation when we travel. Hotels will hold packages for you until your arrival. I used Amazon 2 day shipping, but I think they've changed that and don't offer it for diapers anymore.

We're taking a cruise when DS is 18 months and we're really looking forward to it. Have a great time!!

nfowife
05-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Are you cruising Disney? Or another line?

momtoonegirl
05-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the tips, everyone. We are sailing on Norwegian Cruise Line. I am hoping that DD will enjoy the kids club activities, which DH and I care for DS. My plan is to carry him in the Ergo mostly, but take the stroller on shore excursions. I know storage will be tight in the stateroom, so I am trying to minimize luggage. We are using the carseat on the plane for DS.

I will definitely look into the inflatable tub and over the door organizer. I am also going to check out the family cruising section on cruise critic too.

Thanks again :). Keep the ideas coming!

ged
05-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Because of this, I always recommend people without connecting cabins bring those removable hooks and some twine. You can make a little room divider out of it...with a sheet draped over the laundry line

can you explain more what you mean by removable hooks? i am not sure i am picturing the right thing.

geochick
05-17-2011, 10:00 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Command-17001-VP-6PK-Medium-Hooks-Value/dp/B000FSORW4/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1305640783&sr=1-3

ged
05-20-2011, 01:44 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Command-17001-VP-6PK-Medium-Hooks-Value/dp/B000FSORW4/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1305640783&sr=1-3

Thank you!