PDA

View Full Version : If I had excess lipase last time

turtledove
05-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Does that mean that I will definitely have it again? It would be nice to have a few emergency bags of breast milk in the freezer, but don't know if I should scald it first.

TIA!

PGTB
05-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Does that mean that I will definitely have it again? It would be nice to have a few emergency bags of breast milk in the freezer, but don't know if I should scald it first.

TIA!

I have access lipase, I don't pump anymore, so it's not an issue. But, for the entire 11 months I pumped, I did scald my milk before storing it in the fridge overnight or freezing. I found out soon enough when I started to get better supply and started storing milk in the fridge for over 12 hours period that I had lipase issue. I have started scalding after that and wondered over time whether my lipase issue went away. I haven't wanted to risk it though, so every time I needed to freeze a bag I would scald it, I never had too much supply to afford losing milk.

If you have over-abundant supply and can afford to throw away some quantity of milk you can keep checking time after time. Your milk can change overtime. I think if it doesn't go bad in 24 hour after putting it raw in the fridge, your problem is not as bad. Besides, your baby may not necessarily reject it even if it doesn't smell right to you.

My rule of thumb was: if I don't have time to scald - put into the fridge to consume next day, but don't keep there for more than 24 hours unless scalded. If freezing - always scald first to 160F for 15 sec.

turtledove
05-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks! Last time I defintiely did not have abundant supply. I think I will just plan on scalding it since it will be more for emergency/occassional use anyway.

peacemeal41
05-25-2011, 12:47 PM
I have that too. :(

Unfortunately, I didn't learn about it until after my LO was weaned.

after my second LO was born, I found this forum. http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=297

It is really old, but also has more recent posts.

And to use a bottle warmer to scald: http://simplyrebekah.com/2010/05/03/excess-lipase-scalding-breast-milk/

HTH!