PDA

View Full Version : Update- success! NYC Subway- safe? Easy to use?

SnuggleBuggles
05-16-2011, 10:09 AM
We went and successfully navigated things. It was easy. I prefer the simple fares vs the DC thing where you have to think about your route and buy a fare card for the right amount (or pay for a bigger, more flexible pass). *However** we had a problem. Ds1 and I bought our tickets and I went through the turnstile. Ds1 was stranded on the other side of the turnstile and his card wouldn't scan! Over and over it said it was unable to do it or something. So, there's me on the other side, already paid my $. I mistakenly tried to help ds and he got his card to read and I turned the turnstile, assuming he'd walk through when I did it. He didn't walk through and so we were out $2.50. The station was empty so I handed him my credit card and sent him to buy a new ticket. Well, even though we had just successfully used the credit card to buy the tickets it wouldn't take this time! Ds1 kept getting an "unable to process transaction" type message. I could see the machine and he was doing everything right. I don't know what the problem was. So, I had to leave and waste my fare as well. I bought 2 new cards on a dif't credit card and we were fine. It was very annoying.

Man alive was it crowded too. And it's weird how it's not really very deep underground compared to the Metro. But, it was safe, fast and fine. We got where we needed to be and I liked that they had a board that showed the stops clearly. That was handy.

Thanks all!!

I'm comfortable using the DC Metro though I still manage to get myself confused and overwhelmed at times. I always get where I want to go though. I've never had occasion to ride the NYC subway system so I was looking for feedback here. All times of day ok to use?

Thank you!!
Beth

lowrioh
05-16-2011, 11:57 AM
I've only used the NYC subway system a handful of times but I was completely comfortable from a safety perspective and had no problems navigating the system.
I am used to the DC metro system so I thought the NYC system was really filthy and the platforms are really narrow. I think that the DC system is also more handicap accessible and therefore more stroller friendly IMO.

Karinyc
05-16-2011, 12:01 PM
It's the main form of transportation for many, many people. I've been using it since I was a kid and never encountered any issues (although, after 30 + years of use I have some interesting stories ;) ) Anyway, go to the token clerk at the station & request a map. Maps are also on the platforms & on most trains (the newer trains automatically announce the upcoming stops). My tips would be:

- Try to avoid rush hour
- Try not to take a large/heavy stroller
- If you need to rely on elevators, it'll be challenging (hard to come by & not always working)

Other than that you should be fine. Tons of tourists, including kids of all ages, take the subway everyday w/out an issue. You can also check out the MTA site for updates & route changes/construction. http://www.mta.info/
The map is easy to read. The larger stations are crowded & may seem confusing, but there are signs everywhere & MTA cops. NYC always get a bad rap. But honestly, in all my travels, I've found NYC public transportation to be some of the best. And, IME, kids love riding the train (subway), especially the elevated routes. Have a fun trip!

LMPC
05-16-2011, 01:46 PM
When we lived in NYC (ah the memories) we took the subway all the time and it was very convenient and always felt safe. When I visit my mom in a few weeks, we will take the subway everywhere!

I agree with PP that elevators are hard to come by and so a heavy stroller ends up being a PITA. But it's totally doable with a good umbrella.

Have fun!!

egoldber
05-16-2011, 01:53 PM
My only word of advice is to make sure you don't inadvertantly get on an express. That can be a mistake that takes a painfully long time to undo. ;)

Also, unlike in DC, some extrances and exits to the subway are "one way" during rush hour, so be aware of that or you may get trampled.

TwinFoxes
05-16-2011, 01:55 PM
I've gone to NYC for work and pleasure more times than I can remember. Compared to the DC Metro, I think the NYC subway will seem VERY loud, rundown (not really dirty, but it's over 100 years old vs Metro, which is what, 40?) and crowded. But also much faster and more efficient. I never felt unsafe. You may feel overwhelmed because there are many more subway lines then there are Metro lines. Also, they sell food IN the subway stations! And yet, the cars don't seem any messier than Metro cars.

Dream
05-16-2011, 01:58 PM
I used the subway to return from school after 10pm and didn't encounter any problems. My experiance was, there's always people around, at all times of the day. Its easy to follow, you can always ask for help, there's officers all the time.

I haven't used the subway with a stroller so can't tell you about it. But would assume it'll be hard to depend on the elevator.

rin
05-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Seconding what everyone else has said about elevators (try to avoid having to use them if at all possible) and rush hour (avoid if at all possible). Also, not that you'd be likely to be riding the trains late at night, but there can be pretty long delays for connections, etc, so anything late-ish I'd recommend springing for a taxi.

But yeah, I always feel just as safe on the subway as I do on the NYC streets.

LMPC
05-16-2011, 02:02 PM
My only word of advice is to make sure you don't inadvertantly get on an express. That can be a mistake that takes a painfully long time to undo. ;)

lol, if I had a nickel for every time I did this in the beginning! To avoid this, just make sure on the map that the stop that you are getting off at has the number/letter of the subway you are on. So for example, the A train is an express, so if you look at a map you will notice that stops like 86th street do not have an "A" by them. You would need to take the "C." HTH!

Oh and when I am in NYC I just carry DD in the stroller up the stairs, or my mom carries one and I carry the other. I never use an elevator.

SnuggleBuggles
05-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Excellent!! Thanks all!! Even if we were taking our 3yo (which we aren't), I wouldn't take a stroller...too much of a PITB. :) Stroller free and easy with my big kid.

I just have a totally horrible sense of direction so that will be my hurdle!

Very good tips about the expresses and the exits/ entrances.

Beth

lizzywednesday
05-26-2011, 09:32 AM
In addition to the MTA site that Katie linked upthread, definitely check out HopStop (www.hopstop.com) for subway & walking directions that can be e-mailed or sent to your phone.

Natives find that HopStop can be counterintuitive at times, but I haven't had a bad experience with them at all myself. It helps a great deal to have the directions in a text (or series of texts, as the case may be) so you're not fumbling with papers and maps.

Have fun!

egoldber
05-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Ds1 and I bought our tickets and I went through the turnstile. Ds1 was stranded on the other side of the turnstile

I had that happen once with older DD!

SnuggleBuggles
05-26-2011, 12:43 PM
I had that happen once with older DD!

It was a "lesson learned" moment!

LD92599
05-29-2011, 10:14 PM
I experienced the NYC Subway for the first time yesterday and while buying the tickets had your post in mind and just KNEW I'd have to use 2 different credit cards (buying 5 tickets) but then afterwards I thought i probably could have just bought 1 metro card for the same amount and scanned it the 5 times?! Oh well, we just went one stop but i'm glad I did it. I thought it was VERY underground (the 4 train at the 59th and Lex stop) and we just seemed to keep taking stairs lower and lower and lower!

LMPC
05-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Glad you are counting it as a success. FWIW, I would have just had him crawl under the turnstile...or let him in through one of the exit doors. But that's just the ol' NYer in me coming out lol!

SnuggleBuggles
05-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Glad you are counting it as a success. FWIW, I would have just had him crawl under the turnstile...or let him in through one of the exit doors. But that's just the ol' NYer in me coming out lol!

My dh suggested the same thing. I didnt even think about that at the time...ever the rule follower

Beth