PDA

View Full Version : I did something crazy (for me)!

LarsMal
05-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Yesterday I signed up for a ten mile race!!!! Someone told me it's good to announce it because then you'll feel obligated to see it through. So, I guess this counts!

I've never been a great runner, but I've been wanting a challenge. I also wanted to do something to get DH moving again. He ran a marathon several years ago and hasn't done much since. I signed both of us up for a race in October. That gives us about 4 1/2 months to train. I figure if Al Roker can run a marathon I can do 10 miles. Yikes!!!!

I'm nervous and excited. Fingers crossed I can do it!

WatchingThemGrow
05-16-2011, 01:24 PM
oh, man! When you do something, you do it right! :bowdown:

You're going to have a great time preparing for it!!!

artvandalay
05-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Oh my gosh! That's exciting! :cheerleader1: You will do great!

Curious - what is the furthest distance you can run right now?

elektra
05-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Wow! You go girl.

jenfromnj
05-16-2011, 01:30 PM
That's great!

I totally agree with the sign up = automatic obligation theory (and sign up + official BBB announcement even moreso)! I am doing the couch to 5K program now, and I'm looking for some upcoming 5Ks as a means to force myself to stick with it.

artvandalay
05-16-2011, 01:34 PM
That's great!

I totally agree with the sign up = automatic obligation theory (and sign up + official BBB announcement even moreso)! I am doing the couch to 5K program now, and I'm looking for some upcoming 5Ks as a means to force myself to stick with it.

i'm actually just about to click on the registration form right now to sign up for the 5k next month. I agree... when you sign yourself up you feel obligated to follow through. It's good to have a goal in sight.

Also OP do you have any sort of training program you are going to follow? Sorry for all the questions. I'm kind of a newbie runner and I'm finding that I really like this hobby.

LarsMal
05-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Curious - what is the furthest distance you can run right now?

Also OP do you have any sort of training program you are going to follow? Sorry for all the questions. I'm kind of a newbie runner and I'm finding that I really like this hobby.

Right now I'm comfotable with a 5k, but that's the furthest I've gone. I'm going to use the Hal Higdon 15k training program. It's a ten wee program, but I'm going to start now so I can repeat weeks as I go along. I'm going to use spin as my cross-training and yoga and body pump as my strength/stretching. The training program fits in with my current workout routine. It's going to take me awhile to get used to longer distances, but I'm ready for the challenge!