PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE IN POST 34: Thanks for insulting me, Bakery Manager!

smiles33
05-16-2011, 08:09 PM
This message was sent to the grocery store chain management via email as I'm so annoyed with my local grocery store's Bakery Manager. I was so shocked by her reply that I just turned around and walked out. I must either really look like an idiot or she's gotten away with this in the past. Here's the background:

My husband purchased the Disney Princess 1/2 sheet cake of white cake with white buttercream icing on Saturday, May 14 for our daughter's 5th birthday. Imagine my surprise when we discover as we slice the cake that the two cake layers have NOTHING in between the layers. No icing or filling at all to bind the layers together, so the individual slices immediately collapse/fall over as I attempt to serve our guests.

I go into the store today, Monday, May 16, and alerted the manager to the problem. The front cashier manager called over Jessica, presumably the Bakery manager. Jessica proceeded to inform me that the "cheap cakes don't get any icing or filling. We just stack them and ice the outside. Only the cakes with roses get the split and fill." I stared at her with incredulity that a $40 cake is considered cheap and undeserving of a layer of icing so the 2 cake layers wouldn't fall upon service.

This is truly ridiculous. I have NEVER had a cake that had no icing/filling between the layers, especially one that costs $40. I mentioned the problem today to Lucky's management expecting an apology and an attempt to ensure this doesn't happen to some other family celebrating a special event. Instead, I'm offered a lame explanation that my $40 cake was too cheap to deserve icing inside to hold the layers together. I feel insulted and hope you will take steps to ensure this doesn't happen to other families OR you explicitly inform bakery customers that their $40 cake does not come with any icing in the interior.

g-mama
05-16-2011, 08:19 PM
That is totally ridiculous. I would be furious!! Never seen anything like that in my life. I'm glad that you wrote the letter and I sure hope they contact you and offer you a refund of your $40. Please update us to tell us if the store stands behind that practice. I'd be interested to hear.

smiles33
05-16-2011, 08:22 PM
I know! I'm still reeling from the matter-of-fact reply from the Bakery manager, like this really is standard practice. SERIOUSLY? DH said I should have brought the leftover cake in (I threw it out last night as we needed the fridge space), but still, even if I had, it sounds like Jessica still would have insisted that this is the way they prepare their cakes.

DH added that he would have insisted on speaking with another manager. I just figured, WTF, I don't have the energy for this. The irony is that the first front cashier manager I mentioned this to had another cashier next to her and that woman actually said, "Sounds like someone was sleeping on the job..."

wellyes
05-16-2011, 08:31 PM
That is a world-class lousy attempt at BSing. I hope. If that actually IS standard practice, my hope for America's future just died a little.

ThreeofUs
05-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Oh, for goodness sake. The least the idiots could do is offer an apology. Talk about bad customer service!

DietCokeLover
05-16-2011, 08:35 PM
That's crazy! I mean, how much does a layer of buttercream cost!? Not much!

infomama
05-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Jessica has a boss. I would find out who they are and get on the horn with them tomorrow. I would want my $40 and a free cake. That's crap...both what she said and how she said it.

TwinFoxes
05-16-2011, 09:11 PM
If that is really Lucky's policy that is insane. I firmly believe she was just making it up. I don't know if it was so they wouldn't have to eat the $40, she didn't know, or some people just can't admit they made an error.

I'm sure Lucky's has a FB page. Perhaps they'd like to hear about it there...

DebbieJ
05-16-2011, 09:12 PM
That's crazy! I mean, how much does a layer of buttercream cost!? Not much!

That's what I was thinking.

I would follow this up the management chain just based on the principle of it all and the rude treatment you received from the baker manager.

Pear
05-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Did you take a picture? If you did, I would send it and a copy of your letter to CakeWrecks.

mctlaw
05-16-2011, 09:22 PM
That is a world-class lousy attempt at BSing. I hope. If that actually IS standard practice, my hope for America's future just died a little.
:yeahthat:

I wouldn't take the BS the "manager" offered you as an indication that you look gullible...rather, an indication as to what a moron she is. I mean, that really takes the cake, pun intended. I think my jaw would have dropped as well.

smiles33
05-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Did you take a picture? If you did, I would send it and a copy of your letter to CakeWrecks.

Oh damn, I should have! I do have 5 other kids' parents to vouch for me. One mom told me, "Oh, I thought you requested the cake this way to be healthier!" I was embarrassed, but she was so sweet.

Gena
05-16-2011, 09:58 PM
How strange.

I'm not a baker and maybe it's a regional thing, but I've always seen sheet cakes (including 1/2 sheet and 1/4 sheet) done as a single layer. The independent bakery we always order from will "split and fill" for an additional fee. When they do this, the single layer is cut in half horizontally and icing is placed between the half-layers. The bakeries in the grocery stores here will not do this.

But I have never seen or heard of a sheet cake having two layers. Nor have I ever heard of a sheet cake being split but not filled. again, maybe it's regional.

Anyway, I'm sorry you didn't get a cake you were happy with and then got poor customer service too!

MamaSnoo
05-16-2011, 10:07 PM
I could no-split/no-fill, I mean that is how I make sheet cake at home.....but split/no-fill? That is just someone's dumb mistake. Or a dumb policy. Or both.

Sorry you had to deal with this for DDs BD. Honestly, I am sure no one at the party thought poorly of you. :hug:

The bakery managery, OTOH, deserves a :30:

g-mama
05-16-2011, 10:12 PM
I just ate a piece of a Costco cake yesterday and it was two layers with filling in between. I feel like that is pretty common in cakes I see here.

♥ms.pacman♥
05-16-2011, 10:15 PM
wow. IMO there is no way in heck that that is Lucky's policy on cakes. i agree it's incredibly insulting she told you that. I've lived in the midwest, east coast, west coast (bay area where we shopped at Lucky's often) and now live in the south and i have never ever ever seen (or heard of) a store-bought cake that didn't have filling between the layers. i mean, that is just bizarre..no way that's standard practice. clearly someone made a mistake but the manager likely just didn't want to admit to it. I'd definitely talk to her boss or higher management, i'd bet theyd be embarrassed.

kali
05-16-2011, 11:41 PM
I just ate a piece of a Costco cake yesterday and it was two layers with filling in between. I feel like that is pretty common in cakes I see here.

Not to mention the Costco cakes are delicious, made of high quality ingredients, and cost about $16!! Alas, they don't make Disney Princess cakes.

We don't have Lucky's around here, but it doesn't sound like it is a high end bakery. It's a grocery store sheet cake for a little girl's birthday party. $40 actually seems kind of expensive for that. Who is the bakery manager of a grocery store to give you attitude about buying a cheap cake?

I hope you get some satisfaction from corporate.

gatorsmom
05-17-2011, 12:17 AM
I've had one layer sheet cakes before. Obviously those don't have filling. And I've had double layer sheet cakes before and they always have fililng. What I don't get is, if they aren't going to put filling on the inside, why even BOTHER having a second layer? Why not just make the "cheap cakes" a single layer and call it a day?

I like the idea of contacting the manager. Do they realize that their bakery policies are senseless and their employees are insulting???? I'd wanna know...

MontrealMum
05-17-2011, 12:50 AM
That is total BS and a very bad attempt at CYA. Truly.

I worked at a bakery for 7 years, and not even a very good or posh one at that, total small-town Midwestern stuff. Putting something, anything, between the layers of a cake - round or sheet - was standard practice. In fact, if the customer didn't want to pay extra for lemon or custard filling (that's how untrendy we were, we only had two "fancy" options) the default filling was the same buttercream icing that was used to ice the rest of the cake. Oh, and a plain 1/2 size sheet cake was $17.50 there though I think that's the "fancy" version. IIRC the plain version was $14ish. Granted, that was awhile ago, but I doubt it's up to $40 by now or that they're stiffing customers on something so basic as frosting to hold the layers together just to save a few pennies per cake. A sheet cake w/o layers - as in, one layer only - is obviously only one layer, and it costs less :) None of this crazy stacking cake upon cake w/ nothing to glue it together.

I am so angry on your behalf. I don't know what Lucky is - is it a grocery chain? But I would take your complaint to the main store manager if it is, or up the chain of whatever command they have. What happened to you had to have been a mistake, and I can't believe the bakery manager tried to pass it off as anything else.

happymom
05-17-2011, 12:57 AM
What I don't get is, if they aren't going to put filling on the inside, why even BOTHER having a second layer? Why not just make the "cheap cakes" a single layer and call it a day?

Exactly what i was going to say. It clearly does not make any sense to have 2 layers with no filling...that woman just couldn't admit to a mistake. As the cashier said, someone was sleeping on the job. Maybe they had a lot of orders that day and were just very busy and rushed. People make mistakes. But then they APOLOGIZE and try to make up for it somehow!

ETA: I would be tempted to call and pretend to be a new customer interested in placing an order....just innocently ask about the different cakes and find out if the $40 Disney sheet cake has a filling. Then ask to speak with Jessica...

bubbaray
05-17-2011, 01:02 AM
I've only ever seen sheet cakes as two layers with stuff in between (custard, icing, whipping cream with fruit, etc). I would be totally ticked.

I :heartbeat: Costco cakes, but they aren't nut friendly, which sucks.

MontrealMum
05-17-2011, 01:16 AM
Sorry, I'm still thinking about this and fuming for you....the Disney Princess cake - or any character cake for that matter - should cost MORE not less than a "basic" cake with writing and roses. Because the time it takes to make a character cake is longer and the materials cost more. So the "justification" about it having no roses and being "cheap" is total bull. They pre-make those icing roses and have oodles of them in various colors sitting on trays in the back, ready to go. All they have to do is pop them on the cake after it's iced. Character cakes can include airbrushing, figurines, and special icing all to order. Way more work.

KHF
05-17-2011, 07:33 AM
I'm not a baker and maybe it's a regional thing, but I've always seen sheet cakes (including 1/2 sheet and 1/4 sheet) done as a single layer. The independent bakery we always order from will "split and fill" for an additional fee. When they do this, the single layer is cut in half horizontally and icing is placed between the half-layers. The bakeries in the grocery stores here will not do this.

But I have never seen or heard of a sheet cake having two layers. Nor have I ever heard of a sheet cake being split but not filled. again, maybe it's regional.

Anyway, I'm sorry you didn't get a cake you were happy with and then got poor customer service too!

:yeahthat: Around here, when you order from grocery stores, Sam's, Walmart type bakeries, if you get a sheet cake, it's a single layer (rectangular in shape) and frosted in a single layer. If you order a layer cake, you get a layers with frosting in between (usually round in shape). Only the independent bakeries do fillings and split layers. We do not have a Costco in NKY, so I can't speak to their cakes.

That said, the bakery person you spoke to was completely obnoxious and I'd definitely talk to her manager.

liz
05-17-2011, 08:45 AM
I just read this post. Yikes! What a load of BS. Take it to the manager/corporate and let us know how it turned out.
I can't believe they said 40$ is a "cheap cake"!! Really, what a stupid excuse.....

ahrimie
05-17-2011, 11:41 AM
:
Jessica has a boss. I would find out who they are and get on the horn with them tomorrow. I would want my $40 and a free cake. That's crap...both what she said and how she said it.

:yeahthat: I would speak to another manager! Even if it were true, she shouldn't speak to you like that. But it just can't be true... I have never seen a cake like that before.

smiles33
05-17-2011, 02:53 PM
I could no-split/no-fill, I mean that is how I make sheet cake at home.....but split/no-fill? That is just someone's dumb mistake. Or a dumb policy. Or both.

I've had one layer sheet cakes before. Obviously those don't have filling. And I've had double layer sheet cakes before and they always have fililng. What I don't get is, if they aren't going to put filling on the inside, why even BOTHER having a second layer? Why not just make the "cheap cakes" a single layer and call it a day?

... A sheet cake w/o layers - as in, one layer only - is obviously only one layer, and it costs less :) None of this crazy stacking cake upon cake w/ nothing to glue it together.

I am so angry on your behalf. I don't know what Lucky is - is it a grocery chain? But I would take your complaint to the main store manager if it is, or up the chain of whatever command they have. What happened to you had to have been a mistake, and I can't believe the bakery manager tried to pass it off as anything else.

Thanks, ladies. This is exactly what I was so surprised by. Why bother with 2 layers if you're too cheap to ice them together? We had a great Costco cake last year (2 layers with icing) but they don't have Disney princesses (and I didn't order in advance early enough to request the princess design they do have).

Anyhow, I called the corporate HQ for Luckys (it is a grocery store) because the actual store's phone tree doesn't have an option for talking to the manager. Plus, I really wanted someone "high up" the chain to follow up on this. I'll post an update when I get one, as the nice agent I spoke with said someone would definitely call me back.

MMMommy
05-17-2011, 03:36 PM
I hope management does something for you, b/c that really sucks. Their excuses were lame and ridiculous!

DietCokeLover
05-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks, ladies. This is exactly what I was so surprised by. Why bother with 2 layers if you're too cheap to ice them together? We had a great Costco cake last year (2 layers with icing) but they don't have Disney princesses (and I didn't order in advance early enough to request the princess design they do have).

Anyhow, I called the corporate HQ for Luckys (it is a grocery store) because the actual store's phone tree doesn't have an option for talking to the manager. Plus, I really wanted someone "high up" the chain to follow up on this. I'll post an update when I get one, as the nice agent I spoke with said someone would definitely call me back.

I can't wait to hear the response. I would make sure they know you have posted this on a national message board that lots of mothers who have daughters with birthdays, wanting princess cakes will be reading.

YouAreTheFocus
05-17-2011, 04:23 PM
I just read through this whole thread now, and wow, I can't belive this!! Absolutely ridiculous--both the fact that they gave you 2 layers w/ nothing in between AND their stupid, offensive response. I would be beyond ticked off if this happened w/ my kid's bday cake. Glad you are taking it up the chain. Can't wait to hear their response!

We have Lucky's here--big black mark against them in my mind now.

BabbyO
05-17-2011, 04:24 PM
I can't wait to hear the response. I would make sure they know you have posted this on a national message board that lots of mothers who have daughters with birthdays, wanting princess cakes will be reading.

:yeahthat:

This DOES work. When you let businesses know that you are going to share your experience with others (esp on a national board, FB, etc) they pay attention IME. Word of mouth and personal reviews can are the best or worst type of advertising a business can get. The kind that can mean a customer for ever or for NEVER.

smiles33
05-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Yup, I will be sure to mention it. I also already posted a Yelp review about this for the specific store location last night, too.

Melanie
05-19-2011, 11:23 PM
That's bizarre. Sounds like someone in Jessica's department made a mistake and she's not a good enough manager to admit it and apologize. "Cheap cakes," which BTW I think that is really poor customer service it is to call anything you have SOLD to someone "cheap," aren't split or filled. And they're not $40.

DrSally
05-19-2011, 11:25 PM
That is so strange. She must be wrong.

smiles33
05-19-2011, 11:28 PM
So I got a call from the store manager, who said he would sit down with Jessica and talk to her about the incident. He apologized for the way I was treated and said he would find out whether it is indeed store policy to split and not fill the character cakes. He said they get the cakes frozen so it is possible they come split and they just stack and ice them without filling them even with buttercream. regardless, I made sure he knew I was appalled by Jessica's attitude and really expected better service.

We will see if he actually follows up. I did make sure to mention that I had posted about this incident on a national message board and the moms here also were surprised to hear about a cake that was split but not filled.

Thanks all for your support.

arivecchi
05-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Glad you followed up but cannot believe they were not more gracious to you. I think the manager should have done more.

DebbieJ
05-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Glad you followed up but cannot believe they were not more gracious to you. I think the manager should have done more.

:yeahthat: He definitely should have given you a refund if not more. Yes, Jessica was out of line, but the cake was ridiculously overpriced and not up to standards as well.

Melaine
05-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Hmmmm not impressed by the response. Hopefully they send you a gift certificate or something.

LadyPeter
05-20-2011, 11:50 AM
It sounds to me like it was a mistake, and they tried to shame you into shutting up about it by calling it a "cheap cake." Classy.

wildfire
05-20-2011, 01:47 PM
I would not have been happy with that response. He'll find out if that's the policy? How would HE feel if he got a $40 birthday cake without filling? If that IS policy, it needs to be posted somewhere (and that would be absolutely ridiculous).

You deserve a refund.

BabyH
05-21-2011, 06:39 PM
I may be in the minority by not knowing this, but... grocery stores don't bake those cakes on site? They arrive frozen??

smiles33
05-21-2011, 09:07 PM
I may be in the minority by not knowing this, but... grocery stores don't bake those cakes on site? They arrive frozen??

I know!?! I am definitely buying future cakes from a bakery or Costco. I had no idea they got frozen cakes baked elsewhere!

Melanie
05-21-2011, 09:09 PM

I had no idea, either, until a friend told me she used to work at a Grocer's bakery. Apparently the cake comes frozen then they assemble them and decorate them in the store.

scrooks
05-21-2011, 09:20 PM

My mil told me at the bakery at her local superwalmart that not only do the cakes come frozen the icing comes in pre made sheets that can just lay on the cake!

ett
05-22-2011, 12:40 AM
My mil told me at the bakery at her local superwalmart that not only do the cakes come frozen the icing comes in pre made sheets that can just lay on the cake!

Wow. Good to know. I don't usually buy supermarkets cakes and I'm definitely not buying them in the future.