PDA

View Full Version : compression tank tops for boys

kali
05-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Does anyone know where I might be able to find compression clothing made for kids? Compression clothing is usually used for athletic activities (e.g. UnderArmour HeatGear) or for cosmetic/medical reasons (e.g. Spanx or compression garments for people recovering from certain kinds of surgery).

DS has been dx'ed with sensory processing disorder and seems to benefit from proprioceptive input. However, he is shy and hates to be different, so he would never wear the standard weighted vests they make for this purpose to school. His OT has recommended compression shirts, but while these are less conspicuous than weighted vests and lap pads, the ones I can find for kids all have mock turtleneck type collars.

Compression tank tops would be perfect, but I can only find them in men's sizes. (Did you know they make a line of Spanx for men now:D?)

I'm looking for something like this, but without the high collar:
http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-336820/pgid-336820#l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-381803/pgid-362328

Or even better, something like this, but for kids:
http://www.undershirtguy.com/undershirt-review-out-on-the-town-in-my-gc2-compression-tank-top-undershirts/

One last thing: do any of you ladies who sew know if I could just cut a larger opening for the collar in this type of fabric and somehow stitch it so it wouldn't unravel?

Thanks in advance!

artvandalay
05-16-2011, 08:49 PM
I am almost positive I saw compression tops for boys in Target. They were in the boys sports clothing section, I think Champion or C9?

ETA: Yep, I was right.. here they are:

http://www.target.com/Boys-C9-Champion-Short-Sleeve-Compression/dp/B0035W4M2W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=compression&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-1&qid=1305593404&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=Boys%20C9%20Champion%20Short-Sleeve%20Compression&node=1041972&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1041972&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_ primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0

Gena
05-16-2011, 10:24 PM
I recently bought DS a couple of compression shirts from Fun and Function. He loves them. They are made of organic cotton and spandex. They are very soft and form fitting. They call them "hug shirts" and have a few different styles.

http://funandfunction.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=332_317

We also have the compression shirts from Target. The price is good, but they are polyester and DS does not like them as much.

ETA:Fun and Function has a lot of great sensory processing products. I've ordered from them a couple of times. The shipment comes quickly and customer device is very good.

kali
05-16-2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks! The OT did suggest the ones at Target but she said they lose their compression after a couple of washes. I'll probably head over and pick up a couple just to try anyway since the price is so low. I love the Fun and Function website. They don't have his size right now, but I emailed her asking if they will soon and also whether I could cut the collar down.

Still looking for a tank top if anyone has seen one--a "wifebeater" style would be ideal since it would be totally invisible under his tshirts. I *may* just have to find someone who can sew and pay them to make him some!

Gena
05-18-2011, 09:34 AM
I think I found what you are looking for!

I was searching for something else and came across these:

http://store.schoolspecialtyonline.net/OA_HTML/xxssi_ibeProductDetail.jsp?itemId=1836618&itemNumber=1321146

This may not be your child's size, but I couldn't link to the search page with all the sizes. Put HUGGMETANKTOP (no spaces) in the search box and it should bring up the other sizes.

I've never ordered from this company personally. But I know therapists who have and I see their products advertised in special needs publications, so they seem to be a well-known company.

I'm thinking about trying these for my DS.

I hope that helps!

ETA: I found this promo code on their website: 15% off by including the PROMOTION CODE 081RAWO with your order during checkout. Promo code good through 5/23/11. I'm not sure if the code is only good on certain items or if it is site-wide. YMMV.
ETA2: The promo code seems to be for Educators. If you home-school, you might qualify for special pricing, but I'm not sure what you would need to do for that.

hellokitty
05-18-2011, 12:44 PM
This might sound odd, but how old is your son? If he can wear a women's size XS, maybe some spanx like tops under his clothing would do work? They are usually nude colored and if he wears it under his other clothes, nobody will even see it.

kali
05-19-2011, 02:44 AM
I think I found what you are looking for!

I was searching for something else and came across these:

http://store.schoolspecialtyonline.net/OA_HTML/xxssi_ibeProductDetail.jsp?itemId=1836618&itemNumber=1321146

Thank you thank you!!! This is exactly the solution I had dreamed up in my head but didn't know if it existed. I am going to order one and see how it works. Will keep you all posted.

You all are amazing. I did pick up a couple styles of the Target ones, but DS is soooo skinny that even the boys' XS weren't tight on him. The Spanx idea is a good one, but again he's still too little for even women's XS to provide the needed compression effect. The Fun and Function ones won't be available in his size for a few months.

By the way, after googling everything from "kids spandex tank top" to "girls tankini" I found these: http://www.fashiondrv.com/sitemap/Girls_Spandex_Tank_Top_br_KIds_2_Year_12_Year_.htm l

I know the fit looks weird and their website is kind of random, but the price was right and their customer service was responsive so I ordered a few in different sizes just to try out. If they work they would be a super-cheap option. I'll let you all know how they work out. Surely DS isn't the only SPD kid who is already self-conscious about being different!

kali
05-31-2011, 11:20 PM
The Huggme tanks are perfect! I bought 4 and am going to buy another 4. He has been wearing them under his clothes like an undershirt and he loves them. It helps that they actually wick sweat away. I think I'm going to try the Target ones again this winter when he's a bit bigger.

By the way, in case anyone is interested, I also bought these compression underwear at Kohls: http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kids/boys47/socksunderwear/underwear/PRD~637158/Tek+Gear+Compression+Briefs.jsp (http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kids/boys47/socksunderwear/underwear/PRD%7E637158/Tek+Gear+Compression+Briefs.jsp). When they are on sale and you use a 30% off coupon, they are quite reasonably priced. The combination of the compression tank and these briefs give DS the perfect amount of pressure. He says they feel like he's not wearing anything, which his OT tells me means they are working.

I'm so glad to have a solution that he can wear everyday without feeling self-conscious. And it's a bonus that it doesn't break the bank or require me to do laundry every other day!

crl
06-01-2011, 12:23 AM
That is great! Your ds is lucky to have you for a mom!

Catherine

Gena
06-01-2011, 12:57 PM
The Huggme tanks are perfect! I bought 4 and am going to buy another 4. He has been wearing them under his clothes like an undershirt and he loves them. It helps that they actually wick sweat away.

Thanks for the update! I'm so glad to hear that these tanks work for your DS.

I'm thinking about getting a couple of the tanks for my DS (but it'll have to wait until after my next payday). How do they run: long or short? Any special washing instructions? What difference do you see in your son when he wears the compression tanks/underwear? Does it affect his behavior? his mood?

kali
06-02-2011, 05:47 PM
That is great! Your ds is lucky to have you for a mom!

Catherine

Thanks for that :shy: . I sometimes feel like I'm obsessing too much so it's so nice to get the validation from another grownup.

Thanks for the update! I'm so glad to hear that these tanks work for your DS.

I'm thinking about getting a couple of the tanks for my DS (but it'll have to wait until after my next payday). How do they run: long or short? Any special washing instructions? What difference do you see in your son when he wears the compression tanks/underwear? Does it affect his behavior? his mood?

I wouldn't say they run short, but I wish they were a little longer. They don't always stay put all the way around when he tucks them in. I wash them in warm and dry them on low. I may just start hanging them dry to extend their life. $20 is cheap compared to those $200 compression vests, but expensive for an undershirt! One thing I found strange was that they have one of those scratchy papery tags at the waist. Easy to remove, but you have to make sure you get every bit of it. Weird that someone put that in a shirt for SPD kids.

DS is fidgety and moves around a lot and he seems calmer and more able to sit still when he wears the compression shirt and briefs. He is generally a pretty upbeat kid, but I think feeling more comfortable makes him a little more confident. (He has issues with shyness and anxiety.) The thing that struck me was that he said he doesn't even feel the clothes. I would have thought he would be conscious of them (isn't that the point?) but the OT says that means it is filling a need or bringing him to equilibrium so it's a good sign. Hope that helps.

Gena
06-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Kali,

Now that you've had these a few weeks, how are they holding up? Are they maintaining their compression with continued use & washings? Are you and your son still happy with them? Are they still helping him?