PDA

View Full Version : Found any t-shirts (Boden or elsewhere) you just looooove?

WatchingThemGrow
05-16-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm having the hardest time finding some tees for me that are opaque, machine wash well, are interesting, are not over the top, are not over $30, look good with caucasian skin and brown hair, hide my bra and reach my shorts without being too long. One lone Boden striped t from last summer is my go-to, and I need a few more. So far I've tried:

ON - too thin
LE - modal shirts - just too plain
Boden - didn't try many this year yet - got one you love that's interesting???
EB - meh- got this ruffled one in navy (http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=39845&se=1) that I like to go with sea spray colored shorts

jammytoast
05-16-2011, 10:14 PM
found one at Talbots--not a typical talbots shopper but the 3/4 confetti t's are beautiful and well priced. heading to a store this week to check out the short sleeve options .

otherwise I stalk Garnet Hill for interesting shirts when they go on sale. They tend to go fast so I order, then regret sinks in and I return ;)

LE Canvas were too sloppy/not 'special' enough, and I *hate* the slub cotton shirts that are super trendy this year. They look so cheap and ratty to me.

WatchingThemGrow
05-16-2011, 10:16 PM
yeah, me too. What is slub cotton anyway?

LMPC
05-16-2011, 10:20 PM
DH bought me a Medona (or whatever the heck brand target carries) tshirt for my bday. It was a cute drk blue stripe and looks good with capris. Bra concealed? check! Not over the top? check! Not too pricey? check!

DrSally
05-17-2011, 05:07 PM
I saw some Merona double layer t-s at target that are pretty stylish--double layer, so thick, one is a gathered crewneck, the other style is "wrap" style. They had "boden-esque" prints (fuzzy polka dots, graphic floral), and were $7 last week ($10 this week). I swear that someone in the Target clothing merchandizing dept. is watching both JCrew and Boden, b/c I have seen several obvious knock offs. The only thing, though, is that I thought these T's were not very long.

I got this one:http://www.target.com/Merona-Cross-Over-Top-Golden/dp/B004KD5CEC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid3&keywords=merona%20cross%20over%20top&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-10&qid=1305666420&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=Merona%20Cross%20Over%20Top%20Golden&node=1041790&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1041790&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_ primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0

The color is more of a citron, and I thought it would look nice with white jeans/carpi's and gray cotton cardy?

Here's a couple examples of the ss ones:
http://www.target.com/Merona-Double-Layer-Shirred-V-Neck/dp/B00477ZWL4/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid3&keywords=merona%20top&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-15&qid=1305666560&rh=subjectbin%3A3692501&searchRank=target104545&id=Merona%20Double%20Layer%20Shirred%20V-Neck&node=1041790&searchSize=30&searchPage=2&searchNodeID=1041790&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_ primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0
http://www.target.com/Merona-Shirred-Neck-Tee-Floral/dp/B004KD1TQ2/ref=sc_pd_gwvub_3_title

citymama
05-17-2011, 06:09 PM
I love this Patagonia tee I just got: http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-womens-butterflies-organic-cotton-t-shirt?p=51861-0-515

I got it in Amaranth

I always love their Live Simply tees as well.

But these are more casual than girlie tees! Super comfy.

mezzona
05-17-2011, 06:35 PM
I love this Patagonia tee I just got: http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-womens-butterflies-organic-cotton-t-shirt?p=51861-0-515

I got it in Amaranth

I always love their Live Simply tees as well.

But these are more casual than girlie tees! Super comfy.

i second patagonia tees.

citymama, do they have a sale or something? i have been waiting for possibly a memorial day sale...

ahrimie
05-17-2011, 06:38 PM
I really like american apparel tees or I'll do Jcrew.

citymama
05-17-2011, 06:42 PM
i second patagonia tees.

citymama, do they have a sale or something? i have been waiting for possibly a memorial day sale...

I've learned the hard way that they're always sold out in my size/colors by the time I order. I got these two tees and a dress as my mother's day present! DH had some store credit, plus free shipping and ebates...

AnnieW625
05-17-2011, 06:42 PM
DH bought me a Medona (or whatever the heck brand target carries) tshirt for my bday. It was a cute drk blue stripe and looks good with capris. Bra concealed? check! Not over the top? check! Not too pricey? check!

Thanks for the rec for those. I saw them in the store a few weeks ago and haven't had a chance to try them on.

I tried the Boden tee everyone raved about and I might have bought the wrong size (10 instead of 12), but it was overly tight in the chest and the stomach, not in the shoulders so I didn't exchange for a 12 because when those are the issues with tee shirts the L ends up being too big in the shoulders which makes the shirts look boxy on me. Not sure that makes sense.

Overall I have been pretty happy with this season's Gap Favorite Tee, except I wish they were just a little bit shorter, but overall the fit I get a large (because of the broad shoulder issue) fits perfectly like it has for the last 10+ yrs. I have had to get a large.

Cute Patagonia tee, I'll have to see if they have that at my REI and use a 20% off coupon.

ElspethCordelia
05-17-2011, 07:03 PM
I like J. Crew perfect fit tees.

mezzona
05-17-2011, 07:10 PM
I really like american apparel tees or I'll do Jcrew.

ah forgot about those! the american apparel poly cotton tee is my absolute favorite but i wear it at home.. jcrews are hit or miss. they change too much and lately have been extremely thin imo.

I've learned the hard way that they're always sold out in my size/colors by the time I order. I got these two tees and a dress as my mother's day present! DH had some store credit, plus free shipping and ebates...

very true.. im xs too. i always look for their gear in black but i never see it on sale!

WatchingThemGrow
05-17-2011, 11:10 PM
Cute Patagonia tee, I'll have to see if they have that at my REI and use a 20% off coupon.
I like it too, and the inventory checker says they do have it at my REI and it is $21. May try to make it over there in the morning, although I'm AWFULLY tired of taking in two boys, a double stroller, drinks, snacks, toys, and a potty break just to look at one item... But it's cute and I"ll do it!

citymama
05-18-2011, 12:01 AM
I like it too, and the inventory checker says they do have it at my REI and it is $21. May try to make it over there in the morning, although I'm AWFULLY tired of taking in two boys, a double stroller, drinks, snacks, toys, and a potty break just to look at one item... But it's cute and I"ll do it!

Ok, so for anyone shopping online, it runs a tad small - it's meant to be fitted. I can go with an XS or S in Patagonia, and I'm glad I went with a S. There's no way I could have worn a size XS in that tee.

arivecchi
05-18-2011, 10:19 AM
For t-shirts and tank tops, IMO, James Perse shirts are the best. They are a tad pricey but they look very stylish and last forever. I love that they are fairly long.

http://www.barenecessities.com/product.aspx?pf_id=JamesPerseWMJ3449&source=gbase&term=JamesPerseWMJ3449&cm_mmc=GLBS-_-Daywear,T-shirt-_-JamesPerseWMJ3449-_-N/A

egoldber
05-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Dr. Sally, I recently bought all 3 of those Merona Ts. Can you tell I have a Target right next to my work. ;) Their tops do run short, but I like that because I am short. :)

Just FYI the crossover T, IMO, runs very low cut. I layer it over a tank and it works well, but I could not wear it otherwise.

I also have this T and wear it all.the.time but I will warn that it is thin.

http://www.target.com/Mossimo-Supply-Co-Juniors-Short-Sleeve/dp/B004EEYW8Y/ref=sc_pd_gwvub_2_qi

I like tank shirts and recently bought these 2:

http://www.target.com/Merona-Ruffle-Shirred-Edge-Tank/dp/B004TBNKDA/ref=br_1_19?ie=UTF8&id=Merona%20Ruffle%20Shirred%20Edge%20Tank&node=347678011&searchSize=90&searchView=grid5&searchPage=1&sr=1-19&qid=1305729042&rh=sleeve_type%3ASleeveless&searchBinNameList=target_com_category-bin%2Cstyle_name%2Csleeve_type%2Ccollar_style-bin%2Clifestyle-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=salesrank&frombrowse=1

http://www.target.com/Merona-Womens-Embellished-Tank-Grey/dp/B004J6IU80/ref=br_1_41?ie=UTF8&id=Merona%20Womens%20Embellished%20Tank%20Grey&node=347678011&searchView=grid5&searchSize=90&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=347678011&sr=1-41&rh=sleeve_type%3ASleeveless&searchBinNameList=target_com_category-bin%2Cstyle_name%2Csleeve_type%2Ccollar_style-bin%2Clifestyle-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=salesrank&frombrowse=1&qid=1305729148

brittone2
05-18-2011, 11:28 AM
nak-
last yr I remember recs for a brand Nordie's sells. They go on sale for roughly $15 each but apparently hold their shape well and they have different neck styles, etc.

caslon is the brand. I've been meaning to try them.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/caslon-scoop-tee/3067190?origin=category&resultback=4667

The You look fab blogger likes the l/s ribbed ones for layering but mentions quality may vary depending on style. Maybe someone here who has tried them will have better feedback.

pinkmomagain
05-18-2011, 11:29 AM
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/caslon-shirred-v-neck-tee/3132547?origin=category&resultback=2108

OMG - my new favorite T. Never would've tried it on, if the personal shopper hadn't shown it to me. Want it in every color.

twowhat?
05-18-2011, 12:11 PM
My favorites so far have been jcrew - the embellished or screen print tees. Some of them are a little see-through depending on color, but I just wear a cami underneath. I like that they are long and the embellishments are interesting/add texture/pretty. On sale you can totally get them for under $25.

TwinFoxes
05-18-2011, 01:21 PM
I think the Nordstrom Caslon t-shirts are nice. They are thick and tend to be long enough. Sometimes you can get them on great sale. I got a couple at Nordstrom Rack for $8 on Saturday. :) Also, I like Three Dots brand, they sale those at Nordstrom as well (I've never seen those at the Rack).

I agree with Beth, the Merona shirt is a little low cut, I always wear a tank under it. For me, it's just a tad too thick, especially with another tank. It's good for spring/early summer, but when it was a super hot DC day, I just couldn't bring myself to wear it.

WatchingThemGrow
05-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Ok, so for anyone shopping online, it runs a tad small - it's meant to be fitted. I can go with an XS or S in Patagonia, and I'm glad I went with a S. There's no way I could have worn a size XS in that tee.
I saw your note before going to REI today, but since my boys were going crazy in the dressing room, licking the mirror, crawling under the door, etc. I grabbed both size L and XL and bought them. Currently on the hunt for some Birks to match it (pref. navy), but thank you!

I'm scared to try the Target shirts as thin/short are two huge annoyances for me. Doing a cami underneath stuff just bugs me.

citymama
05-20-2011, 02:51 AM
I saw your note before going to REI today, but since my boys were going crazy in the dressing room, licking the mirror, crawling under the door, etc. I grabbed both size L and XL and bought them. Currently on the hunt for some Birks to match it (pref. navy), but thank you!

So how did they fit? And what color did you get? Our kids have matching PJs and car seats and now we have matching t-shirts - high-five WtG! ;)

(I had to laugh about the kids in the dressing room, although I am sure you were tearing your hair out!)

WatchingThemGrow
05-20-2011, 07:03 AM
So how did they fit? And what color did you get? Our kids have matching PJs and car seats and now we have matching t-shirts - high-five WtG! ;)

(I had to laugh about the kids in the dressing room, although I am sure you were tearing your hair out!)
I did size up as the L was fine, but a bit too snug around the belly right now. I decided to just get the XL, which was still more snug than a M at Lands End, lol. It's pretty long, but way better long than short. Short ones really bother me. I got the same color as yours, of course :) and I wore it to the preschool picnic that night. Thanks for the rec!!! It's a :thumbsup:

MontrealMum
05-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Love that Patagonia T!

I just got some of these from Talbot's in their recent sale and they're not bad: http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi26592&rootCategory=cat70008&catId=cat80004&sortKey=Default&section=Regular&conceptIdUnderSale=cat70008

However the 2 like this from Garnet Hill are going back immediately: http://www.garnethill.com/easy-open-neck-tee/womens-fashion/tops-tees/short-sleeve-tees/204951 Not only are they amazingly thin (like the JCrew tissue Ts), but they have a lovely pocket that is positioned to hang from the underside of my boob. Not good. I'd imagine it would only be in the "right" place if you are fairly small on top.

I got a bunch of Ts last year at Ann Taylor that were nice and long and surprisingly the ones from the outlet were better than the ones I got in the mall! I thought they were the same until I had them at home and compared them side by side. Unfortunately, I don't see the same thing on their site anymore :(

DrSally
05-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Dr. Sally, I recently bought all 3 of those Merona Ts. Can you tell I have a Target right next to my work. ;) Their tops do run short, but I like that because I am short. :)

Just FYI the crossover T, IMO, runs very low cut. I layer it over a tank and it works well, but I could not wear it otherwise.

I also have this T and wear it all.the.time but I will warn that it is thin.

http://www.target.com/Mossimo-Supply-Co-Juniors-Short-Sleeve/dp/B004EEYW8Y/ref=sc_pd_gwvub_2_qi

I like tank shirts and recently bought these 2:

http://www.target.com/Merona-Ruffle-Shirred-Edge-Tank/dp/B004TBNKDA/ref=br_1_19?ie=UTF8&id=Merona%20Ruffle%20Shirred%20Edge%20Tank&node=347678011&searchSize=90&searchView=grid5&searchPage=1&sr=1-19&qid=1305729042&rh=sleeve_type%3ASleeveless&searchBinNameList=target_com_category-bin%2Cstyle_name%2Csleeve_type%2Ccollar_style-bin%2Clifestyle-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=salesrank&frombrowse=1

http://www.target.com/Merona-Womens-Embellished-Tank-Grey/dp/B004J6IU80/ref=br_1_41?ie=UTF8&id=Merona%20Womens%20Embellished%20Tank%20Grey&node=347678011&searchView=grid5&searchSize=90&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=347678011&sr=1-41&rh=sleeve_type%3ASleeveless&searchBinNameList=target_com_category-bin%2Cstyle_name%2Csleeve_type%2Ccollar_style-bin%2Clifestyle-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=salesrank&frombrowse=1&qid=1305729148

Funny! I thought the prints on those cross-over t's were pretty and fresh. I haven't seen the last tank you listed. It's cute. I like that both have fairly wide shoulders, so you don't have to worry about your bra strap showing.

DrSally
05-20-2011, 09:57 PM
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/caslon-shirred-v-neck-tee/3132547?origin=category&resultback=2108

OMG - my new favorite T. Never would've tried it on, if the personal shopper hadn't shown it to me. Want it in every color.

Cute! Does the shirring hide the mommy tummy?

twowhat?
05-20-2011, 11:22 PM

IME shirring makes the mommy tummy WORSE:( I've tried on shirts like that and my tummy just pushes out against the shirring, "unfolding" it so that the fabric at my belly is less shirred than the rest, if that makes sense. It totally makes my mommy tummy worse, like I'm wearing a maternity top. It's too bad because I initially thought it'd be a great way to hide the mommy tummy.

egoldber
05-22-2011, 06:28 PM
I was at Target again today :o and walked out with this shirt.

http://www.target.com/Merona-Shirred-Neck-Tee-Floral/dp/B004KD1TQ2/ref=br_1_34?ie=UTF8&id=Merona%20Shirred%20Neck%20Tee%20Floral&node=1293454011&searchView=grid3&searchSize=90&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1293454011&sr=1-34&rh=target_com_brand-bin%3AMerona&searchBinNameList=sleeve_type%2Ccollar_style-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=salesrank&frombrowse=1&qid=1306103260

It was very flattering IMO.

pinkmomagain
05-22-2011, 10:04 PM

I'm really happy how it hides my imperfections in the middle, but maybe it's something you need to try on and see how you feel. Like I said, I would never have picked it on the hanger, but it really worked for me when I tried it on. I orginally bought 1, and then went back and bought 2 more!

DrSally
05-22-2011, 10:09 PM
I was at Target again today :o and walked out with this shirt.

http://www.target.com/Merona-Shirred-Neck-Tee-Floral/dp/B004KD1TQ2/ref=br_1_34?ie=UTF8&id=Merona%20Shirred%20Neck%20Tee%20Floral&node=1293454011&searchView=grid3&searchSize=90&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1293454011&sr=1-34&rh=target_com_brand-bin%3AMerona&searchBinNameList=sleeve_type%2Ccollar_style-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=salesrank&frombrowse=1&qid=1306103260

It was very flattering IMO.

I saw that too, and thought it was cute. Wore my yellow floral cross over T for the first time today (with gray cardy and jeans). Man does it gape! My bra was showing at certain points. I put a few stitches in to hold it together a little higher (easy to hide with the double layer). I hope that helps. I really don't want to wear a cami under it. Love the pattern/color though. I may go back for the gray floral.

citymama
05-23-2011, 03:24 AM
The question I have with the Target tees is - how do they look after a few washes? Other than one Mossimo hoodie I have, my Merona and Mossimo/Target brand tees and hoodies look *awful* after a few washes, pilly and old looking. I've been very disappointed as I am not a fan of disposable clothing - I like to hang on to favorite tees year after year (these didn't even make it past a few weeks/months). If any of these tees passes the wash test, I want to know so I can try them on when I'm at Target next!

egoldber
05-23-2011, 07:07 AM
I have had mixed results over the years with Target things. I have found that the Merona brand holds up better, in general, than the Mossimo brand. Mossimo tends to be more junior-ish styles and I think have less longevity. I have Target stuff from last summer that still looks great and some that doesn't, so I think it just depends.

My kids have tons of Target clothes and I find that their thick knits tend to hold up really well. So in general, I am as pleased with Target quality as I am anywhere else.

OTOH, I also had more expensive brands that I have had the same issue with. Some of it really holds up and some falls apart. But I am a lot more po'd when a $25 T falls apart than when a $7 T falls apart. ;)

But I really felt a need the last few weeks for some new stuff to spruce up my wardrobe and I just don't have the time or patience to try on a million items or to order and return.

WatchingThemGrow
05-23-2011, 07:14 AM
The Target tees are on sale this week, it seems, but I (like citymama) am afraid of the cheap tee. I'm buying sandals to go with some outfits and since the sandals will last into next summer, I need the tees to as well. My Gap outlet thin tees look ridiculously old/stretched out, as do DS1's H&M tees. My AT ones look the best, but I outgrew them in length somehow. :(

DrSally
05-23-2011, 12:13 PM
I've washed my target crossover T 2 times at this point. It seems to be doing ok. The fabric seems "tighter" in weave than a T-shirt. I do pull it out of the dryer damp and lay it out to dry. Since it's a print, I wear it more like a blouse, so I don't want it to get all pilled and faded. I have Merona t's from last year that still look pretty decent. I bought a lot of them, though, so it's not like I'm wearing the same ones all the time, KWIM?

ETA: Walmart T's OTOH, even at $4 are totally "disposable". Just one summer's wear at most, and many have started unravelling after 1-2 washes! I'd prefer to spend $7 on one at Target that at least has decent stitching.