PDA

View Full Version : Xpost: Any recc's for warm-weather winter vacation for family of 5?

SASM
05-17-2011, 01:44 PM
We are starting to think of ideas for a warm-weather vacation for next winter. Any recommendations??? Wayyyy too overwhelming. We live on the East Coast and are obviously expecting to fly. We usually only travel to WDW every couple of years the week after Thanksgiving, so anywhere other than FL will be a new adventure. :) Please...Any recc's?? Not sure of when but possibly during Feb break (2 are school-age), open to ANYWHERE within a "reasonable" distance (ie, Hawaii is probably out dt travel and costs), cost is more of an issue, as we have 5 travelers. Some quick thoughts: Caribbean, oceanfront camping, cruise, Central America...please help!!!

Xpost d/t no responses in the Non-Disney Travel section. Thank you, I hope!

crayonblue
05-17-2011, 01:59 PM
I would choose Antigua, Guatemala and other touristy areas in Guatemala. Easy flight, inexpensive accommodations, great food, beautiful weather, history, etc.

You would need to hire a tour guide (not terribly expensive) to take you around and to make sure you are safe.

I realize this is not a typical vacation choice for young families, but I can't wait to go back!

DietCokeLover
05-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Costa Rica is wonderful. Beaches, mountains, lots of Eco adventures. It's one of my favorite places.

Punts Cana in the DR is very affordable as far as the Caribbean goes.

Tondi G
05-17-2011, 02:13 PM
We love cruising. If you've never been it is a great way to vacation as a family. On at sea days your kids will love the childrens program ... mine woke up each morning asking when they could go and didn't want to leave each night when we came to get them at 10 pm! You can leave out of FL (for eastern/ western caribbean) or from Puerto Rico, which is lovely by the way (for southern caribbean). We really like Royal Caribbean cruise line but Carnival or Norwegian is good if you have non potty trained kids.

for land vacations I would look at Jamaica or Dominican Republic or Turks and Caicos (the Beaches here is supposed to be incredible, but is expensive). I really enjoyed St Thomas and you can also look into St John or do a couple of days at each.

A lot of discussions have suggested Playa Del Carmen ... caribbean side of Mexico but away from the Cancun party atmosphere. Do a search for All Inclusive's in the non disney travel board and it should come up.

pinkmomagain
05-17-2011, 02:36 PM
We go away someplace warm every Feb break. Aside from Florida, in recent years we've been to: cancun, st. thomas, puerto rico, and aruba. Aruba is guaranteed beautiful weather in Feb!

bnme
05-17-2011, 02:56 PM
I would go to Atlantis in the Bahamas. I have never stayed there, but have visited for a few hours and it seems like the perfect carribean getaway with little kids (closeby, kid-friendly, beach and pools on site, kids activities).

g-mama
05-17-2011, 03:00 PM
We went in February to Cancun and LOVED where we stayed. We stayed at the Crown Paradise Club Cancun, an all-inclusive that was perfect for families of five because we were able to get one room that had a king size bed and a bunk bed with a trundle. It was reasonably priced after I did TONS of searching.

http://www.crownparadise.com/cancun/index.cfm

I also found this article recently and am holding onto it for future reference. It can be very difficult to find vacation accommodations for families of five. It seems the world is set up for families of four, don't you think?

http://www.best-family-beach-vacations.com/family-of-five-vacation.html

Good luck!

wolverine2
05-17-2011, 03:20 PM
If you want to rough it (you did mention camping), my friends went to Cinnamon Bay Campground on St. John, USVI and had a great time- you can bring your own tent or stay in a canvas platform tent. (They also have rooms). It's right in a National Park area and looks like paradise. As soon as my boys get a tiny bit older, we're totally going there.

ETA: www.cinnamonbay.com

geochick
05-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Turks and Caicos (Beaches), Dominican Republic (Punta Cana)

Check Trip Advisor for top rated hotels in these areas, then check to see if they allow a family of 5. I often use Funjet to check stuff out.

We do Mexico each winter. If you're interested in Mexico, I can give you all the details. I know the junior suites at the resort I go to allow a family of 5 as long as the oldest kid isn't too old.

SASM
05-17-2011, 10:27 PM
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for the recc's!! My friends used to camp at Cinnamon Bay in St. John's...I've been thinking about that for YEARS. Just not sure if my kids are quite ready for that yet. :) THANK YOU...THANK YOU, everyone! I'll sit down tomorrow night and start researching...YAY!! I am addicted to House Hunters Intl and it seems they film in the Caribbean and Central America quite a bit...I've been sooo curious after years of addiction to that show! One of my all-time favorite episodes was on Harbour island in the Bahamas...seems scary expensive but looked like a dream! :) YAY...now I have something to cheer me up as I continue to watch the rain pour from the dreary skies...we've had WAY too many rainy days in my region.