PDA

View Full Version : Trip Insurance

belovedgandp
05-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Any experience with trip insurance either offered directly from WDW when booking a trip or third party? I have a reservation from a couple months ago and only my $200 down for now. Debating adding it or not and can't decide.

Neelloc
05-24-2011, 09:40 AM
We always get insurance through www.insuremytrip.com It allows you to chose the plan that is right for you, with the level of coverage you need/want.

I always get trip insurance now, whenever I travel. Just the cost of the airline change fees alone if you were to have to leave your trip early is worth it. Take it from me....I was admitted to the hospital during a visit to relatives in Florida a few years ago. I called the airline (Airtran) and it was going to cost us $150 per ticket to change our flights plus the new fare, and they didn't care I was hospitalized. I was begging the docs to release me so I could fly home as planned. Trip insurance would have covered all that.

hellokitty
05-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but Neelloc, do you have tips on what to look for or basic guidelines when getting travel insurance? I have the feeling the OP would probably benefit from this info as well. We will be driving, instead of flying to WDW, should I still consider travel insurance, esp since we are going during winter/flu season? My biggest fear is that someone will be too sick and we will have to cancel or the weather will be so bad that we can't get there.

belovedgandp
05-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Yes, I'm now overwhelmed. I don't feel a need to be over-insured because we could certainly cover some blips, but major bumps would hurt.

ijopint
05-25-2011, 09:45 PM
another alternative for travel insurance is http://www.accessamerica.com or you can call American Express card if you are using them, they usually have the travel insurance protection plan. I personally does not use or need them but it helps to know it is available when needed.

Neelloc
05-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but Neelloc, do you have tips on what to look for or basic guidelines when getting travel insurance? I have the feeling the OP would probably benefit from this info as well. We will be driving, instead of flying to WDW, should I still consider travel insurance, esp since we are going during winter/flu season? My biggest fear is that someone will be too sick and we will have to cancel or the weather will be so bad that we can't get there.

Sure!

Say for example, since I am going to WDW this fall, I want a basic policy that will cover a few simple things. WDW has a good cancellation policy. if for some reason I have to cancel before I arrive, I can cancel and only lose $200 of my package that I paid for.

For a WDW trip, if you have a package, you might want to have coverage for trip interuption. Say you arrive, and 2 days later there is an emergency at home. You paid for a 7 day package. Depending on the circumstances, you might get refunded from Disney for the unused nights, you may not. You can keep park tickets. Some things are non refundable such as event tickets. Now you have to pay to change your flights, and possibly pay a charge for new flights. Or the cost of a rental car.

Trip insurance may also cover a situation where say you were sick or injured while travelling. A few days into a trip you get injured and miss the rest of the trip due to hospitalization, etc. There are also evacuation plans, etc, but since you'd be in the continental US, you could skip that.

It usually also covers lost bags over and above the airlines, and things like weather/flight delays.

Neelloc
05-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Yes, I'm now overwhelmed. I don't feel a need to be over-insured because we could certainly cover some blips, but major bumps would hurt.

On our last trip, I paid less than $90 for coverage for my husband and I for a weeklong trip to WDW. Let me get you a quote for my planned fall trip and tell you what it covers.

Neelloc
05-26-2011, 12:30 PM
I got quotes for the 4 of us: 2 adults, 2 children, for between $74 and $168 total for the trip (One plan covers the whole family.) It basically covers things like trip interuption, baggage delay and loss, medical issues, etc.

This is a sample search I did, sort of based on my numbers. I only looked for package plans, and they vary. You can compare plans side by side to see what matters most to you. Some plans cover "cancel for any reason," however, your inital trip payment needs to be made within 14 days of purchasing the insurance. They are also helpful to call and ask questions.

http://www.insuremytrip.com/quote/?quoteId=IiILTxjnCjlr#,vlist