PDA

View Full Version : Kids books, good prices?

KrystalS
05-18-2011, 02:48 PM
DH is deploying soon and I want to buy some books for him to read so I can video him and show DCs while he is gone. I want mostly board books for DS because he puts everything in his mouth right now. I will probably get a few books that aren't board to do later in the year. DH will be gone a year so DS will be almost 2 when he gets back.

I went to Barnes and Noble today and found several books that I wanted to get but most of them were 7.99-10.99. I really don't want to pay that much. I checked Amazon and the prices there seem to be consistent with B&N.

I plan to get at least 10 books. Would rather have close to 20 so that DS doesn't get tired of the same books.

DH wants to read a couple chapter books for DD because she has kind of outgrown picture books. They don't seem to be as expensive as the kids illustrated books.

jgenie
05-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Thank you to your DH and your family for the sacrifices you make. :)

Could you check out the books you want from the library to video your DH and then buy your copies throughout the year so it's not such a big hit at once?

logan's mom
05-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Do you have an Ollie's nearby? http://www.olliesbargainoutlet.com/

I have gotten some good books at good prices there.

Have you tried used bookstores or kids consignment sales?

If you live near a Borders sign up for their email list. I get 33% off coupons almost once a week. Barnes and Nobles has a kids club too-some times they have good deals.

YouAreTheFocus
05-18-2011, 03:43 PM
I don't have any great leads on cheap books (I often think board books are overpriced!!) but a few things came to mind. One is to look on Amazon for the 4-for-3 promotion. It seems like almost every kids book I look at has this. Another suggestion is Craigslist (or anywhere that sells used books). I've seen ppl selling big packs of books for really cheap. Board books are easy to wipe down if you are concerned about that. The other thing is, IME, kids don't get tired of hearing the same book over and over. They enjoy hearing/seeing what they know. We actually have a hard time working a new book into the repertoire--after two pages my son will get bored, shut the book on my hand, say "BUH-BYE," and point to a more familiar book.

Mommy2Abby
05-18-2011, 03:51 PM
You could consider joining Children's Book of the Month Club (cbomc.com). When you join, you get 6 books for $2, and then you have to buy a certain number at club prices over the next year (I think it's 4 - but they have a promotion where you can buy two of them at $4.95 each when you get your 6 for $2 so then you only have to buy 2 more at club prices during the year). They sometimes have free shipping promotions, too.

They have "featured selections" each month, which you can easily login and decline (or they will ship to you).

Overall, it's a pretty good program, and they sometimes have really good promotions near the holidays (e.g., 60% off all list prices, free ship, etc.) that are only available to members.

They have books for all ages - I don't know too much about their board book variety, but they definitely have a lot for ages 0-2 and then also other ages, too.

The only downfall is that their shipping isn't really fast - sometimes takes a couple weeks, so not sure how much time you have until DH deploys.

HTH!

nabigus
05-18-2011, 04:17 PM
I've gotten some incredible deals from http://www.bhfobooks.com/ (used to be sort floor books). You have to be willing to poke around some, but $20 will buy you a ton of stuff.

elbenn
05-18-2011, 05:54 PM
BHFO Books is a good place to look for cheap books. Amazon often has 4 for 3 promotions on many books. When you are looking at a specific book on Amazon, check out all the different formats and sometimes a certain format will have the promotion or will have an option for a used book that has free prime shipping. I'm not sure if Borders still offers free ship to store for used books, but if they do, that might be a good option for used books.

indigo99
05-18-2011, 06:46 PM
If you don't mind used then Better World Books is a good option. Their bargain bin usually has plenty to choose from, and the condition is listed. I just wipe them down when I get them.

ETA: DS loves to read the same books over and over even though we have a whole case full of books for him. Right now he loves The Wheels on the Bus, Ten Little LadyBugs, Barnyard Dance, Mr Brown Can Moo, and Tumble Bumble.

mom2mack&max
05-18-2011, 07:30 PM
I have found some great board books cheap at Goodwill, if you don't mind that they are used and having to search a bit.

Green_Tea
05-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I buy at least 50% of my books used from Amazon sellers. I can usually find offers that ship for free with Amazon Prime. Here's a great example:

Charlotte's Web - paperback, new, $7.99
(http://www.amazon.com/Charlottes-Web-Trophy-Newbery-White/dp/0064400557/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1305762272&sr=8-1)

Charlotte's Web in good, used condition - several sellers are offering it at $3 with free Prime shipping. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0064400557/ref=olp_prime_used?ie=UTF8&shipPromoFilter=1&sort=sip&me=&seller=&condition=used)

I have never received a used book that wasn't in good shape. Maybe not perfect, but the wear is no worse than what my own kids would do in a month or two.

Gracemom
05-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Do you have a Half Price Books near you? Here, we also have a 75% off bookstore, which I love. Also, resale shops can be amazing. We have one here that sells them for 50 cents each. Scholastic books also have warehouse sales occasionally. Have you put the word out to friends? I'm sure they'd be happy to donate a book to your family for such a great cause!

doggiemom
05-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Have you thought about doing a combo skype/screen share and reading digital books? My parents live across the country and they will read bedtime books to my kids by having the kids pick a book at an online digital library (we've used this one... but I'm sure there are others)
http://en.childrenslibrary.org/

Then when we are skype'ing we do the screenshare and the kids see my parents turning the digital pages and they read the words to them. We skype with a friend of the family who is in Iraq right now on a somewhat regular basis..... could be an option.... might not always be feasible depending on his deployment, but an idea to use to supplement your video idea....

happymom
05-18-2011, 09:04 PM
I actually started a similar thread recently.

I wanted to add 2 ideas:
1) Does your DC get scholastic book orders from school? Their books are mostly paperpack, but they are cheap.

2) Kohl's has several books (hardcover) for only $5 a piece as part of their "Kohl's Cares" program. I bought DD "Llama, Llama Red Pajama" (her new favorite book) and "The Very Hungry Caterpillar", but I know they had several more. I think "The Grouchy Ladybug" was one of them. They also have a cute llama doll (also $5) to go with the book if you are interested.

ett
05-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Marshalls and TJ Maxx has good prices on board books.

www.bookcloseouts.com is another good website to check out.

LMPC
05-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Marshalls and TJ Maxx has good prices on board books.

This is where I have gotten some cheap but nice books. I agree that you could balance new books with some from the library to offset the cost. Especially for the books he will read as your DC gets a little older and maybe less likely to eat them ;)

I also wanted to add a big THANK YOU to your DH and your family for sacrificing for the rest of us!!! :bighand:

happymom
05-18-2011, 09:31 PM
:yeahthat: I meant to mention Marshall's and TJMaxx for board books. We love the Sanrda Boynton books...there are usually several different ones there.

KrystalS
05-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I didn't even think about TJ Maxx or Marshalls, I was just in there and they had tons of board books.

I didn't think about just checking out some books at the library, I will probably do that also. I really just want lots of video of DH to show DS so that he doesn't forget him. He will be 10 months when DH leaves.

The skype suggestion is great, but we don't know if DH will have internet access. He is going to Iraq and will be there during the shut down so we have no idea what it will be like there.

lmwbasye
05-18-2011, 10:04 PM
A couple of other suggestions:

http://www.unitedthroughreading.org/military/

http://www.astorybeforebed.com/military

https://www.webstore.teuteberg.com/wepersonalizeitall/choose.cgi?x=76&y=31 (the military book version)

DH deploys for the year as well this summer...going to same place. If you ever need someone to talk to or vent...someone going through the same thing...please feel free to message me.

iaam
05-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Great idea, OP.

Another suggestion: half.com.

1mom2dylan
05-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Krystal,

If you PM me your address, I can mail you some books. Your family is making such a huge sacrifice for our country, it's the least I can do.

KrystalS
05-19-2011, 11:56 AM
DH deploys for the year as well this summer...going to same place. If you ever need someone to talk to or vent...someone going through the same thing...please feel free to message me.

Thanks Laura I will definitely keep that in mind! I think deployments are getting harder vs easier. DD is now old enough to really understand how long a year is. She is already showing signs of anxiety the closer we get to the deployment. She had a lot of problems the last deployment also. DS is still little enough he doesn't understand but I hate the idea that he probably won't remember DH when he gets back. DD had no idea who DH was after our first deployment.

Krystal,

If you PM me your address, I can mail you some books. Your family is making such a huge sacrifice for our country, it's the least I can do.

Wow, thank you so much for the offer.

dddhokie
05-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Krystal,
I agree with the previous poster - I'd love to send a few books your way as well! I have a few gently used books, if that is okay.

PM me your address and I'll get them in the mail to you.

Thank you and your family for all they do for us.
:hug5:

logan's mom
05-19-2011, 03:57 PM
PM me your address too. I'd love to send you some books too.

KrystalS
05-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Krystal,
I agree with the previous poster - I'd love to send a few books your way as well! I have a few gently used books, if that is okay.

PM me your address and I'll get them in the mail to you.

Thank you and your family for all they do for us.
:hug5:

PM me you address too. I'd love to send you some books too.

Thank you guys so much, I never meant this thread to become a request for free books! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! It's not easy going through a deployment but my DH loves what he does. My kids and I are proud to stand by his side to support him!

logan's mom
05-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Look out for one (or possibly two) of those wonderful Amazon boxes! I sent you three of my DS's favorites from the "Gossie and Friends" series. And "How Do I Love You"-the last book we read before bedtime that always makes me tear up a little.

Thank you and your family for your sacrifices!