PDA

View Full Version : talk to me about deep touch and joint articulation for sensory issues

lmh2402
05-18-2011, 09:17 PM
we had our first OT session today

therapist said she thinks we should be doing deep touch and joint articulation multiple times a day. as often as he will let us.

if you've got a DC with sensory issues, do you do these things? how often? have you seen any benefit?

he did seem noticeably relaxed when we left the session today; however, there was (unfortunately) no "magical," radical improvement to his behavior over the remainder of the day. i fully realize that this is something that should so benefit over time (not expecting to see results today)...but i would love to hear others' firsthand experiences.

thanks

happymom
05-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Do you mean joint compression? I know some of the OT's in the preschool I work in are big believers in it. You could just make it a part of your routine every day. Maybe when he's getting dressed, when he eats snack when he gets home from school, and when he gets undressed at night.

Also, some activties that involve proprioceptive input would probably be helpful for him. Did the OT mention that? I don't want to make incorrect suggestions because eveyr kid is different. But if he mentioned deep touch and joint compression, I would assume any proprioceptive input is helpful. For example- helping carry in heavy groceries. Carrying a five pound bag of flour from one room to another. Pulling a laundry basket that is loaded with toys.

These are things that could be part of his play at home. Once you have it on your mind, you'll probably find more ideas.

ETA: I'm so sorry...just realized your DC is too young for most of the above!:bag:bag:bag

lmh2402
05-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Do you mean joint compression?

yes, this is what i meant. can you tell i am clearly a newbie with all this

thanks

elliput
05-18-2011, 10:54 PM
We do some "heavy work" and joint compression with DD. It isn't something we do regularly, just when we notice undesirable behaviors as we do see the benefit of DD re-channeling her energy. One of the easiest things you can do (especially for a 2yo) are just big squeezing hugs.

Gena
05-19-2011, 12:11 AM
My son CRAVES deep pressure and always has. Pressure vests/weighted vests and the brushing protocol (which involves a sequence of brushing various body parts and joint compressions) were especially helpful during my son's toddler and preschool years. There are still helpful now, but DS needs them less frequently. Lately I bought DS a few compression shirts and he loves the way they feel. As PPs wrote, "heavy work" helps a lot too.

happymom
05-19-2011, 12:21 AM
OP, I don't know if this is helpful to you or not, but I found my list of proprioceptive activities that I sometimes give to parents of students who need it...again, some may not be age appropriate, but you can glance through it and see if its helpful. I wonder if a trampoline would work for your DS at all...supervised of course. Anyways, I'm just gonna copy/paste my list here...

Proprioceptive / Deep Pressure Activities

* Pushing/ Pulling activities - Tug of war (with socks)
- Push wagon or empty box with sibling or books inside
- One child can pull another who is lying on a blanket.
- Push a heavy stroller with phone books to wiegh it down.
* Jumping on trampoline or couch pillows
* Crawling is great! Your child can crawl under a table,
under a line of chairs that are next to each other, over
some pillows that have been placed on the floor etc.
* Fill a tube sock with a 1 lb. bag of beans. Play “Pass the beanbag” or beanbag toss!
* Squish your child between two pillows- Put one pillow on the floor and have your
child lay down on top with his head sticking off of the side. Place another piillow on
top of him/her. Give him a nice squish!
* Roll your child in a blanket- pretend he/she is a hotdog!
* Rolling pin fun- have your child child lie down and roll a rolling pin on his/her back
from top to bottom.
* Silly putty or playdoh.
*Our favorite one of all- a big bear hug!!!

mytwosons
05-19-2011, 06:29 AM
We did it starting when my son was 4. We did the brushing protocol first and then joint compressions. We started doing it every two hours and gradually tapered off. I did feel it helped, but it was subtle, not a night and day difference overnight. I'm glad we did it and would do it again if needed.

It was overwhelming to think of doing it every two hours, but we worked it into our schedule. I'm not sure how old your son is, but I think it's easier if you don't need to work around full time school. We managed to work around 3 hr blocks of preschool, but we would do the compressions in the car before and after pick up.

HIU8
05-19-2011, 10:01 AM
My DS loves deep pressure as well. We do the brushing protocol and he absolutely loves to be tickled and be smooshed between 2 couch pillows. We also have to work around school, so we do the best we can (as DS doesn't crave it as much as he did even a year ago).

snowbunnies300
05-19-2011, 10:08 AM
We don't do it all of the time at home. My kids get a lot of it at school/therapy. They love the deep pressure and if they are having behavioral problems we like to gives big deep hugs/holding them tight. I do have a weighted blanket but that doesn't seem to do enough for them but school has them wear the vests etc..