PDA

View Full Version : Being away from the baby for the 1st time during bedtime

PGTB
05-19-2011, 02:28 PM
DH and I are going to a wedding for a dear old friend of ours and will be gone for two evenings (rehearsal events + wedding evening next day). The problem is that we have never been away from DS for that long before. Going to a wedding will imply DS would have to be put to bed by DHs parents and DS is used to having me nurse him to sleep every evening since he was 6 months old. Even if they somehow manage to put him to sleep DS also wakes up 30 min to an hour later for more mommy time or milk and no way would go to sleep for anyone else. Basically, we are looking at prolonging his bedtime till at least 11:30pm when we return from the wedding. We only went out a few times in the entire year since DS was born and this was always after I would put DS to sleep. When we would return 2-3 hours later, DS would be wide awake playing with the in-laws because they could not put him back to sleep after his waking.

I am really worried leaving DS without any of us or even his nanny helping with the bedtime routine, really worried coming back from the party seeing my over-tired and miserable baby wanting to nurse and go to sleep but unable to.

What should I do? I cannot skip the wedding or come back earlier, DH and I are both part of the wedding party.

LadyPeter
05-28-2011, 10:58 AM
When is the wedding? Between now and then, can you put Daddy in charge of the bedtime routine and make sure he does every step exactly like you do it, only giving a bottle instead of nursing? If you give your son a little time to get used to the idea, it might not be such a struggle.

Then, of course, write down all the bedtime routine steps for the caregivers so they know precisely what to do, when. Keep everything else as consistent as possible.

And remember that, worst case scenario, it's just one night. You can get him back on track the next day.