PDA

View Full Version : Ewwww- snail crawling in my lettuce!

elektra
05-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Two little girls from the school across the street just rang my doorbell- I guess they are handing out lettuce from the school garden to the neighbors. I grabbed both batches and thanked the girls (they were adorable) and I felt something slimy. I looked down and I could tell that they had probably just pulled the lettuce up, like today. There was dirt still attached and roots and such. Well I looked closer and there was a huge snail crawling though the lettuce! I crawled over my finger!
I know this is perfectly natural and all but I am totally grossed out!
I immediately washed it all off and it's drying on my counter. I wasn't sure what else was living in there!

YouAreTheFocus
05-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Ewww--I'd be super grossed out, too! :barf:

Kudos to you for working through your disgust--there have been times that I have gotten so grossed out by unwanted produce guests that I ended up tossing the host item.

Blehhh!

misshollygolightly
05-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Yuck! But awesome that the school garden is doing so well!

This post reminded me of the person who posted a while ago about finding a frog in their bag of frozen peas...who was that?

Snow mom
05-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Ah, organic produce ;)

WatchingThemGrow
05-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Kudos to you for working through your disgust
:rotflmao:
We are a CSA delivery point for our neighborhood, and at the end of last summer, a guy said something about finding a slug in his salad. I said, yeah, we always look with excitement to see what washes out of our greens. He said, "Oh, really. You guys wash all the produce?" This was like 20 weeks into the season.:eek: I can't imagine all the critters they ate!

boolady
05-20-2011, 08:37 PM
:rotflmao:
We are a CSA delivery point for our neighborhood, and at the end of last summer, a guy said something about finding a slug in his salad. I said, yeah, we always look with excitement to see what washes out of our greens. He said, "Oh, really. You guys wash all the produce?" This was like 20 weeks into the season.:eek: I can't imagine all the critters they ate!

Oh, ick. I had to make my peace with the creepy crawlies during our first year of CSA membership last year, but I quadruple washed everything.