PDA

View Full Version : Mold problem - recs for next steps, CMAs?

magnoliaparadise
05-21-2011, 03:56 AM
I think I might have mold. Ugh. I rent. I am freaking out.

Has anyone had experience or have recommendations of steps to take / how to confirm it / experts in NY area? Like a certified mold assessor?

I have been having the worst congestion at night - disruptive to the point of not being able to sleep many nights - and it has gotten to be that I walk into my room and my eyes water, palate itches / burns, and I can't stop either being stuffy or sneezing, almost immediately, like the air is infested. I also sometimes get headaches. My daughter, also sleeping in my room, sometimes gets a stuffy nose, but almost nothing else.

I assumed it was allergies to dust mites (which I do also have, but never so dramatically) and tried almost everything to address it. I also thought that my pregnancy must be causing me to be hyper-sensitive to dust mites and that was why it has hit me so hard suddenly.

Two weeks ago, I started wondering if I might have mold and googled and decided I didn't because my room wasn't smelly like sites said it would be.

BUT: Low and behold, my room is now smelly. I have cleaned it thoroughly. And yet, the walls - two - smell terribly if you put your nose up to them. Like dank damp smell.

Although the building is very new, nice, and glam, there is some humidity problems - the floor boards always upending because of humidity (according to the super) and having to be replaced in areas. Right now there are 5 places on the floor in this apartment alone that need to be fixed.

Would love others views on this if you have had experience.And especially mold inspector recommendations. Thanks.