PDA

View Full Version : Duggar liquid laundry soap question

infomama
05-22-2011, 02:54 PM
**see below in red. I don't have a used laundry soap container. Suggestions?

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine
4 Cups - hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (http://www.meijer.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=117533&parentCategoryId=1498&categoryId=1582&subCategoryId=1587)*
½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)
-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.
-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.

DietCokeLover
05-22-2011, 02:58 PM
I have a plastic container that has a screw on lid. I have a large soup ladel that I use to get the soap out with and put in the machine.

infomama
05-22-2011, 03:01 PM
I have a plastic container that has a screw on lid. I have a large soup ladel that I use to get the soap out with and put in the machine.
so you made the concentrate in a 5 gallon bucket and then fill your container half with water/half with the concentrate and just use the ladle? Do you have to stir it before you ladle it?

DietCokeLover
05-22-2011, 03:21 PM
so you made the concentrate in a 5 gallon bucket and then fill your container half with water/half with the concentrate and just use the ladle? Do you have to stir it before you ladle it?

Yes, that's how I do it. I do sometimes have to stir. It depends on when the last time I've done laundry. If it's been a couple of days, it needs stirring. I have a wicker basket on my washer and I keep the container and a large plastic drinking cup in there ( I put the ladle into the cup so I don't get drips everywhere).

infomama
05-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Sounds good to me...thanks!

connor_mommy
05-27-2011, 12:38 AM
I have a stupid question...I'm reading that the yield is 10 gallons, but this is made in a 5 gallon bucket. Do you end up with two 5 gallon buckets or just one?

infomama
05-27-2011, 07:39 AM
I have a stupid question...I'm reading that the yield is 10 gallons, but this is made in a 5 gallon bucket. Do you end up with two 5 gallon buckets or just one?

The soap in the five gallon bucket is a concentrate. You have to dilute it half/half with water (hence the second lidded container) then you can use it.