PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED: Added another option. Help me decide what to wear! *added another picture

rachelh
05-22-2011, 11:44 PM
ETA: I am adding another picture. Let me know what you think. I usually wear it with a very straight knee length black skirt and nice heels. It stinks - I have a ton of dressy things but nothing is quite right.

I am going to a hospital fundraising dinner with my boss and co-workers tomorrow night and have no idea what to wear. Please help!

It is officially black tie and is being held in Lincoln Center in NYC. Do I need to go with something long or can I do something short and classy -but not very crazy dressy? I borrowed a few things from a friend but I don't love any of them even though I know they are the safest - very classy black long dresses but they are just not me. I have this dress which is very similar to the attached picture but mine has a black ribbon/belt. (For some reason I think mine looks dressier - its hard to see in the picture but basically it is layers of lace from the waist down) Do you think it is too dressy?? I don't have a picture of the short dress I would wear and it is currently at the cleaners so I can't post a pic to compare.

Opinions please!

ETA: I attached another option I have. The dress looks nicer in person - it has a copper/gold shimmer to it.

Tx!

mackmama
05-22-2011, 11:50 PM
If it's black tie, I wouldn't worry about being too dressy. The pic you attached is very pretty. What is the fabric? I don't think you need to wear something long. IMO, I think the fabric and style is more important than length when it comes to black tie. Have fun!

DrSally
05-22-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't think that dress is too dressy for black tie. I like it. In general, I think black tie means long dress and cocktail means short dress, but I realize things have gotten less and less formal. I think you'll prob see a lot of long dresses at your event.

rachelh
05-22-2011, 11:57 PM
If it's black tie, I wouldn't worry about being too dressy. The pic you attached is very pretty. What is the fabric? I don't think you need to wear something long. IMO, I think the fabric and style is more important than length when it comes to black tie. Have fun!

The whole dress is thin sheer very delicate lace and is layered from the waist down. I am much more of a short dress person but I don't think any of my short dresses are dressy enough. I really love this gray dress I have but don't have a picture of it and it is so hard to describe! Maybe I can run by the cleaners in the morning and post a picture after if it is ready. Decisions... :)

fumofu
05-23-2011, 01:13 AM
I like the long dress. I never have the opportunity to go to events like this, but if I see an invite that says black tie I'll definitely go for a long dress.

Have fun!

infomama
05-23-2011, 06:05 AM
I love the long dress. It's really stunning!!

SnuggleBuggles
05-23-2011, 08:09 AM
Dress one looks like a bridesmaids' dress to me. Really pretty but that is the vibe I get.

Beth

daisymommy
05-23-2011, 08:16 AM
I don't think dress #2 is formal enough. Dress #1 is more in the range.

Twoboos
05-23-2011, 08:44 AM

:yeahthat: Totally agree!

mommy111
05-23-2011, 10:06 AM
:yeahthat: Totally agree!
Agree :yeahthat:

MMMommy
05-23-2011, 10:10 AM

:yeahthat:

JBaxter
05-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Dress 1 looks bridesmaid / prom -ish Dress 2 i dont care for much ( just the style)

rachelh
05-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Dress 1 looks bridesmaid / prom -ish Dress 2 i dont care for much ( just the style)

I also feel it looks to bridesmaid-ish. It happens to be a GORGEOUS dress but I wore it to a SIL's wedding so I do feel it looks to wedding-y.

I could not bring myself to buy something new for this one night. I will have to make-do with something I have...just don't know what.... :shrug:

happymom
05-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Can you post pics of the dresses from your friends?

boolady
05-23-2011, 11:42 AM
The short dress, although cute, is not formal enough for black tie in NYC. I think the first dress is beautiful, but I don't know if it's quite right.

mackmama
05-23-2011, 11:57 AM
I would go with the long dress or one of the dresses from your friend. I agree about not buying something for one night. If you pair the long dress with some fancy shoes and jewelry and maybe a wrap, I think it'd look great.

rachelh
05-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Can you post pics of the dresses from your friends?

I nixed them all for various reasons (ie. a drop too big, too long etc.)

Help!

Canna
05-23-2011, 12:58 PM
I went to a black tie fundraising event for a medical organization in Connecticut earlier this year.

I ended up wearing something I had previously worn to a holiday party. I'd consider it a cocktail dress - it's above the knee in length. There were a lot of women there in shorter dresses, but I do think they were generally dressier than the one you posted with the belt. I agree that one looks too casual.

You might be able to find something new that would work for not a lot of money. The dress I ended up wearing cost about $40 when I bought it! If you do buy something, I would look for something that you think you can wear again to a wedding, holiday party, social event, cocktail party, etc. TJ Maxx might have something this time of year, and I like some of the styles at Dress Barn! http://www.dressbarn.com/misses/dresses

Maybe like this: http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/halter-neck-chiffon-party-dress/100856527/400
or this: http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/ruffled-v-neck-satin-sheath/100826765/303

BeachBum
05-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Eh, I really do think you're going to have to buy something.
Have you looked at Ann Taylor? They've got some really nice things online (and I assume in store) that are dressy, but still very professional.

lucybabymamma
05-23-2011, 01:36 PM
I think maybe some more options are in order -- sorry!
Dress one: agree it is bridemaid-y
Dress two: maybe best option, but a little too informal, it seems
Dress three: yowsy! It is sexy...not sure about that one for the event

ashleybama24
05-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Sorry to agree with everyone but I think you need some more options:

Dress 1 - Looks like a prom dress
Dress 2 - It's a daytime office dress, not formal enough
Dress 3 - I did not initially see you were going to wear this with a black skirt. My first thought was too trendy/sexy/Desperate Housewives of (pick a city). But even with a skirt I'm not sure it would be formal enough for black tie.

AnnieW625
05-23-2011, 02:52 PM
I like option 3 as long as you don't wear sky high heels with it. I think it's the perfect mix with a nice pair of lower 2/1/2 to 3" heels. I still kind of think that dress #1 could look like a bridesmaid dress or even a very informal wedding dress.

SnuggleBuggles
05-23-2011, 03:19 PM
#3 is really cool. I wish I had an occasion to wear something like that. However, I don't think the event you are going to is the right occasion for it either. Go buy something and then you will have an appropriate go-to next time something like this comes up again. It sounds like a wardrobe staple is missing and you need to fix that. :)

Beth