PDA

View Full Version : Ride on w/ pushbar that actually steers/controls the front wheels?

YouAreTheFocus
05-23-2011, 03:37 PM
So, we were at BRU/TRU yesterday and pushed our son (19 mos) all over the place in the Fisher Price/How Wheels Tot Rod. He was absolutely delighted, and so were we--with the push! The parent pushbar actually controlled the front wheels, which I haven't experienced before. IME you use the pushbar to literally push the vehicle around a corner. The thing is, this car was powered (which we don't need) and it cost $150 (which we really don't need!).

So are there any non-powered ride ons where the parent push bar actually steers the front wheels?

MizMojoLaveau
05-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Not sure if you would go for a trike or not, but we have gotten a lot of use out of this one
http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Deluxe-Steer-Stroll%C2%AE/dp/B0009NX07S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1306243402&sr=8-4
I know Kettler also makes one that people like. These are nice. Once the kids get older, sometimes you can end up with steering "battles" between the toddler and the parent, though (which makes for an unrelaxing walk). Overall, we have enjoyed ours and it has gotten a lot of use through more than one kid and the radio flyer has held up well. Ours has the sun canopy which is pretty useless and does not get used. Ours also does not have a seat belt.

calv
05-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Not sure if you would go for a trike or not, but we have gotten a lot of use out of this one
http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Deluxe-Steer-Stroll%C2%AE/dp/B0009NX07S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1306243402&sr=8-4
I know Kettler also makes one that people like. These are nice. Once the kids get older, sometimes you can end up with steering "battles" between the toddler and the parent, though (which makes for an unrelaxing walk). Overall, we have enjoyed ours and it has gotten a lot of use through more than one kid and the radio flyer has held up well. Ours has the sun canopy which is pretty useless and does not get used. Ours also does not have a seat belt.

this is exactly what we have and much loved by ALL!! :) great toy that grows w/the child

YouAreTheFocus
05-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks, this is exactly what I was hoping for!! Wasn't sure if I could accurately explain this feature, but this Radio Flyer hits the nail on the head:

"Innovative internal geared steering feature allows adult to turn front wheel with push handle"

Cool! I knew if such a toy existed, someone here would know about it :)

infocrazy
05-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Once the kids get older, sometimes you can end up with steering "battles" between the toddler and the parent, though (which makes for an unrelaxing walk). Ours has the sun canopy which is pretty useless and does not get used. Ours also does not have a seat belt.

I snipped this quote but this is my general review on these style. DS1 used this type of a bit, but the pedals/seat never seemed to fit him quite right so he just sort of sat on it so it was like pushing a big heavy stroller...it was too heavy for him to pedal on his own. DS2 "battled" with us the ENTIRE time! It was a huge pain and after a few times I just refused to use it on a walk. Sun canopy is oddly shaped and it was not practical for us since it rarely shadowed them correctly. Ours didn't have a seat belt which wasn't really a big deal for DS1, HUGE deal for DS2. It also squeaked a ridiculous amount. DH tried to oil/grease it but nothing ever worked. I sold it last year in a garage sale.

I'm not sure what we will do next year for DD, but it just never worked as intended for us, although I agree it is a great IDEA.

ljackson
05-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Once the kids get older, sometimes you can end up with steering "battles" between the toddler and the parent, though (which makes for an unrelaxing walk).

DD had the Kettler Go Green which has a push bar which does not steer, but if she was not steering the way I wanted I just used to push down to lift the front wheels up and then I had full control!