PDA

View Full Version : What age for a two-wheel bike?

MontrealMum
05-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Please vote for the age at which your DC started to ride bikes with pedals, not balance bikes. The poll allows multiple options for families with more than one kid.

My DS is 3 yrs. 9 mos. and has been scooting around on a trike quite successfully for going on 3 seasons now (we only bike in the non snow seasons, LOL!).

I hadn't even considered getting him a two-wheeler, but in the past week we have seen not one, but two of his same-age classmates on two-wheelers. One with training wheels, and one without. So, we are now considering getting him one for this summer. Are we nuts or is it time to graduate from the trike? We are a cycling family so this is a big deal to us and we wonder if we might even skip the trail-a-bike/3rd wheel stage. The bike would only be for fun at this point, and not used on the path where the speedy cyclists (like DH) ride. We'll still pull him in the trailer for long rides.

FWIW he is extremely tall for his age (95% in height), and has very good coordination (he's already skiing in the winter). By size he could fit some of the bikes for much older kids. I know that balance bikes are very popular here but we are not interested in going that route, so please no recs for that.

taking the time to add a poll...

sariana
05-24-2011, 02:37 AM
I voted for age 4, but that is a bit deceptive. DS did indeed get his first two-wheeler at age 4 1/2, for Christmas. But he is now almost 7 and still riding with training wheels. So I think he wasn't really ready at that age.

OTOH, I think DD may be ready when she turns 4 next winter. She may get a bike for Christmas even though it is a month before her 4th b-day because I don't want her to have to wait until the following year to get a bike, and I don't want to give it randomly, and not for Christmas or her b-day. (Did that make sense?)

I should mention that DS has gross motor delays while DD does not. She also thinks she can do anything her brother can do (and often she is right).

Neatfreak
05-24-2011, 02:53 AM
My older daughter received her first two-wheeler for her 5th birthday. She has friends who were on two-wheelers at three or four years old. My friend's two year old could ride one, with training wheels, as can my own two year-old (when she borrows the neighbour's 10" frame bike). I think that some two-wheelers can be easier to pedal and steer than our Kettler tricycle, to be honest. It's heavy!

Melanie
05-24-2011, 03:05 AM
Dd effortlessly switched from the balance bike to a two-wheeler with no training wheels at 4 1/2.

Ds went the tricycle to bicycle with training wheels route, around age 5. He relied on the training wheels so heavily they were wearing down. Then he "borrowed" his little sister's too-big-for-her balance bike for a five months and went straight to back to his two-wheeler without training wheels at 6 1/4 yo.

Neither of my kids have any delays. Ds is highly-coordinated, even moreso than his sister. I attribute Ds' bike-riding challenges to the way we introduced it (trike to training wheels).

BeachBum
05-24-2011, 06:14 AM
I voted 4. But really he got the bike with training wheels a few months before his 4th birthday and started riding without training wheels about a month later.

KrisM
05-24-2011, 06:30 AM
We bought a 2-wheeler with training wheels for DS1's 3rd birthday. He took the training wheels off 2 days after turning 4. We had bought DD a balance bike a few weeks before that and HE loved it and rode it for a couple weeks and was ready for no training wheels.

DD didn't like the balance bike until age 3 and she learned a 2-wheeler with training wheels at about 3 and we took hers off at 3 years 3 months.

I am not sure if you're asking for a training wheel bike or not. I think he's plenty old enough for training wheels and possibly old enough to be able to ride without. My kids all were on 12" bikes that first year and quickly moved to 16".

WatchingThemGrow
05-24-2011, 06:41 AM
DS moved from the balance bike to a 2 wheeler (no training wheels ever) at 39 months. He is amazing on it, and people point and stare at him all.the.time.

DD got a pedal bike for her 4th bday and took off riding that day. Getting comfortable on the balance bike was key for her as well.

KrisM
05-24-2011, 06:54 AM
DS moved from the balance bike to a 2 wheeler (no training wheels ever) at 39 months. He is amazing on it, and people point and stare at him all.the.time.

That was DD's experience, too. Last spring, we rode bikes to get DS1 from kindergarten. The moms waiting were amazed that she wasn't even 4 and was on the 2-wheeer. It is pretty funny looking when they're small.

ncat
05-24-2011, 07:00 AM
DD got her 2 wheeler at 3.5 years. She was too big for a tricycle and essentially rode the 2 wheeler with training wheels in the same manner. At 6.5 years she can finally ride her (now much too small) 16 inch bicycle without training wheels.

Having watched her learn to ride by ignoring the pedals and gliding, I think the balance bikes are a wonderful idea.

ThreeofUs
05-24-2011, 08:29 AM
If he's got good coordination, get him a bike! He'll be out of the training wheels before you know it, if you practice.

Btw, Molly, just can't believe your little guy is so big! Time flies.

mommytoC
05-24-2011, 09:16 AM
We bought a 16-inch bike (a Specialized Hotrock) for DD#1 at 2.5. Like your son, she's also very tall and well-coordinated (amazingly so, actually, given her clumsy Mom :)) She was a pro on her trike (a Radio Flyer), but had almost outgrown it, and when we went to the bike shop, she climbed on and took right off! (She tried a (heavier, but still 16-inch) Trek, too, but couldn't move it very well). We raised her training wheels as the summer progressed, and took them off the following summer when she was 3.5. This summer, she graduated to a 20-inch bike (another Specialized Hotrock). DD#2 has a bigger trike, but I expect she'll
want to start riding DD#1's old bike sometime next year (at 3).

(Edited to add: Our subdivision is a 0.6 mile loop, with no intersecting streets. Had we had to deal with traffic, we would have waited a bit longer to get DD#1 a bike.)

From your description, your DS is likely ready for his first bike. I'd take him bike shopping, and he'll let you know for sure!

MontrealMum
05-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks, guys! I think I'll take him to the store this week and see what happens :) I guess this is the first of many things that will just sort of creep up on me.

Ivy, it's hard for me to realize that my "baby" is so big! I'll bet you look at your DS2 and wonder where time has gone too.

Just one more question...so some of your DC started right away with a 16"? DS is so tall that it seems silly to start with a smaller one, but I worry about the weight difference.

Melanie
05-24-2011, 12:08 PM
I would recommend selecting an aluminum-framed bicycle. You likely won't find that at TRU but at a bike shop. Ds' first bike was something from TRU and it was SO ridiculously heavy. Also at a bike shop, or REI, they can help you decide what the proper height is for him. Also height-alone won't determine if a bicycle fits him, he will have to sit on them as the different shapes of the bicycles and their handlebars can affect fit a lot.

cono0507
05-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Please vote for the age at which your DC started to ride bikes with pedals, not balance bikes. The poll allows multiple options for families with more than one kid.

My DS is 3 yrs. 9 mos. and has been scooting around on a trike quite successfully for going on 3 seasons now (we only bike in the non snow seasons, LOL!).

I hadn't even considered getting him a two-wheeler, but in the past week we have seen not one, but two of his same-age classmates on two-wheelers. One with training wheels, and one without. So, we are now considering getting him one for this summer. Are we nuts or is it time to graduate from the trike? We are a cycling family so this is a big deal to us and we wonder if we might even skip the trail-a-bike/3rd wheel stage. The bike would only be for fun at this point, and not used on the path where the speedy cyclists (like DH) ride. We'll still pull him in the trailer for long rides.

FWIW he is extremely tall for his age (95% in height), and has very good coordination (he's already skiing in the winter). By size he could fit some of the bikes for much older kids. I know that balance bikes are very popular here but we are not interested in going that route, so please no recs for that.

taking the time to add a poll...

Your DS sounds just like my DD - 3 yrs 9 mo, extremely tall and skiing. She's doing great on her new 16 inch specialized hotrock bike we bought her this year, using training wheels. We anticipate she'll get 2-3 yrs use out of it and then we'll move her up to her brother's 20 inch specialized. We brought the kids to the bike shop to fit them for the right size. I think your DS sounds more than ready for a 2 wheeler with training wheels!

Canna
05-24-2011, 12:09 PM
DD was 4 and had been riding a balance bike and tricycles. We got her a 2 wheeler with no training wheels and she took off. ETA: She was also tall and coordinated for her age.

Gena
05-24-2011, 12:25 PM
I voted age 6 for getting the bike, but he just turned 7 and still needs the trainng wheels.

However, DS has significant motor delays (he scores in the 3%ile for gross motor), so my data point may not be relevant for you.

MontrealMum
05-24-2011, 12:26 PM
I would recommend selecting an aluminum-framed bicycle. You likely won't find that at TRU but at a bike shop. Ds' first bike was something from TRU and it was SO ridiculously heavy. Also at a bike shop, or REI, they can help you decide what the proper height is for him. Also height-alone won't determine if a bicycle fits him, he will have to sit on them as the different shapes of the bicycles and their handlebars can affect fit a lot.

Yes, I know, we're avid cyclists. DH could run a repair shop out of our basement, LOL. That's why I'm hoping that we can go right to a larger frame since the lightweight ones are so much more expensive. I'd like to buy as few bikes as possible before he's old enough for the really pricey stuff.

arivecchi
05-24-2011, 12:34 PM
We got DS a 16 inch specialized hotrock last summer when he was 3.5 yo. Like your DS, he is super tall and he did great on the 16 inch right from the get go (with training wheels) while he was uncomfortable riding other heavier bikes at the bike shop. It's a really light bike and so well built. I would highly recommend it.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=47707&eid=4360

stefani
05-24-2011, 01:17 PM
DS started with a 12" bike without training wheels at age 6.
He started gliding a balance bike at age 4.

I think size of the child and coordination of the child plays an important role.

DS is on the petite side, while he has normal coordination, it is more difficult to start earlier because of the bike size in relation to his size.

He is still riding a 16" now, getting ready for a 20".

I think your DS is ready for a two-wheeler :-)

KrisM
05-24-2011, 01:24 PM
I want to add that my average sized kids were on a 16" Trek at age 4. DS1 got a 20" Specialized when he was 6. They go through the sizes quickly. I'd start at 16 for you guys.

mommytoC
05-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Just one more question...so some of your DC started right away with a 16"? DS is so tall that it seems silly to start with a smaller one, but I worry about the weight difference.

I wouldn't anticipate much longevity from a 12" bike, but it will also depend on which bike you pick. For reference, DD#1 was between 38-38.5 inches tall when we bought her 16" Specialized Hotrock. She wouldn't have been quite ready for the 16" Trek then, or for one of her friend's heavier Target/Walmart bikes. By around 47 inches tall (age 5), her 16" bike was starting to look small, and she transitioned easily to a 20".

We got DS a 16 inch specialized hotrock last summer when he was 3.5 yo. Like your DS, he is super tall and he did great on the 16 inch right from the get go (with training wheels) while he was uncomfortable riding other heavier bikes at the bike shop. It's a really light bike and so well built. I would highly recommend it.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=47707&eid=4360

I agree with arivecchi, Specialized bikes are great! Plus, the girl styles aren't as "over the top" girly as some other brands, which I love. Our 16" bike is actually a fairly unisex style, black and white with paw prints and just a couple of dog decals edged in hot pink. Had DD#2 been a boy, my plan was to color over the edging with red.

brittone2
05-24-2011, 03:11 PM
DS1 was 5, but we didn't give him a pedaled bike until then (he rode his balance bike from age 3-5). He was probably ready far, far before that point but DH was in grad school and money was tight, and DS1 was still happy with the balance bike.

DD started riding the balance bike around age 2. At 3.5 my niece handed down her pedal bike to DD and she took off on it in one afternoon (no training wheels). Like WTG said, people would just stare. She had no problems transitioning to a pedal bike at that age. She's also smallish for her age so it looks particularly funny. She's always been pretty gross-motor skills savvy though.

MontrealMum
05-28-2011, 09:47 PM
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the input! We got DS a 16" bike today and he took off like nobody's business. He's barely using the training wheels at all and I anticipate we'll be able to take them off quite quickly. Now, if only I could get him to understand the concept of brakes, rather than crash landing into the grass :)

Clarity
05-28-2011, 09:59 PM
My dd1 got her two wheeler when she was 3 but didn't really take to it until she was 4. So I'm voting 4.