PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses?

BabyBearsMom
05-24-2011, 12:11 PM
DD is 13 months old and I want to get her some sun glasses. Anyone have any recommendations for ones that will stay on a crazy 1 yo?

cckwmh
05-24-2011, 12:26 PM
we used julbo sunglasses. they cost more $, but didn't break if DD threw them. We went through so many pairs prior to finding Julbos. They lasted for a couple of years and were able to be passed down.

http://www.julbousa.com/baby/

larig
05-24-2011, 01:56 PM
I just bought a bunch of regular ON & GAP sunglasses and started putting them on DS when he was little. At nearly 3 he's good about wearing them. I doubt my DS would have tolerated the kind that had the strap around the head, but these baby banz are cute
http://usa.babybanz.com/Retro-Banz-p/retro%20banz.htm

REI sells some kids' sunglasses too--I've seen multiple kinds there.

weech
05-24-2011, 02:11 PM
I bought DS some Baby Banz for Easter because he hates the sun in his eyes, and as expected, he refuses to keep them on. Anything on his face or head gets promptly thrown onto the floor :) I'll be watching this thread for any other ideas.

SkyrMommy
05-24-2011, 02:50 PM
we used julbo sunglasses. they cost more $, but didn't break if DD threw them. We went through so many pairs prior to finding Julbos. They lasted for a couple of years and were able to be passed down.

http://www.julbousa.com/baby/

:yeahthat: And the pairs that we bought DD are symmetrical so that as she goes through her "I can do it" phase they always fit.

sweet_pea
05-24-2011, 03:04 PM
:yeahthat: And the pairs that we bought DD are symmetrical so that as she goes through her "I can do it" phase they always fit.

I also recently bought Julbos for DD and am very happy with them. Like SkyrMommy said, the "Looping" models don't have a wrong way to put them on, so great for toddlers. The arms don't fold, so no pinched fingers. Check Amazon, you can find certain colors at a lower price there.

We also had BabyBanz last year, when DD was 1, and they were okay, too. The band helped keep them on a little, but not much. They also don't have arms, just the neoprene band, which I liked.

Snow mom
05-24-2011, 04:26 PM
DD had the Julbo looping also and we've been really happy with them. IME there is nothing that is going to keep sunglasses on a baby that doesn't want to wear them. The Julbos come with a detachable cord and we ended up taking it off. It clearly annoyed DD and it wasn't going to prevent her from removing the glasses. My advice would therefore be to chose something that seems comfortable and is tough enough to resist a small child pulling it in various directions (such as the Julbos.)

firemama
05-24-2011, 08:07 PM
These Julbo ones look great! We tried the Baby Banz ones and I really wanted to like them, but they weren't a great fit. They made red marks on the bridge of DD's nose, forehead and sometimes under her eyes. Half the time she didn't mind wearing them, but the other half she cried and pulled them off. After a month of almost daily use, the top rim of one of the lenses cracked all the way to the lens. Thankfully I bought them from Amazon, so returning was a piece of cake.

I really want to try these, but am not sure what size to buy. There doesn't seem to be a size chart. She will be 1 the end of June and we also leave for vacation then. She is petite but I think her head size is average/normal. Should I get the 0 - 12 mos or 12 - 24 mos? I do plan on having her use them year round, as long as she likes them. ;) So maybe I am answering my own question and should get the 12 - 24 mos? Any advice? TIA!!

sweet_pea
05-24-2011, 09:22 PM
I really want to try these, but am not sure what size to buy. There doesn't seem to be a size chart. She will be 1 the end of June and we also leave for vacation then. She is petite but I think her head size is average/normal. Should I get the 0 - 12 mos or 12 - 24 mos? I do plan on having her use them year round, as long as she likes them. ;) So maybe I am answering my own question and should get the 12 - 24 mos? Any advice? TIA!!

I'd go with the 12-24 (Looping II) months size. My DD isn't quite two, but the 2-4 size (Looping III) works well for her even though her head is very small. HTH!

Snow mom
05-24-2011, 09:35 PM
These Julbo ones look great! We tried the Baby Banz ones and I really wanted to like them, but they weren't a great fit. They made red marks on the bridge of DD's nose, forehead and sometimes under her eyes. Half the time she didn't mind wearing them, but the other half she cried and pulled them off. After a month of almost daily use, the top rim of one of the lenses cracked all the way to the lens. Thankfully I bought them from Amazon, so returning was a piece of cake.

Yes, definitely get the loop 2. We skipped the looping 1 and went directly to the looping 2 at 5 months (and DD is small to average in all measurements.) They were big but worked fine at that age and she was able to wear them til close to age 2. Then we switched to the looping 3. FYI they sell them at REI (if you are a member they are doing 20% off one item.) REI has an awesome return policy so might be a good place to buy.

firemama
05-24-2011, 10:21 PM
I'd go with the 12-24 (Looping II) months size. My DD isn't quite two, but the 2-4 size (Looping III) works well for her even though her head is very small. HTH!

Yes, definitely get the loop 2. We skipped the looping 1 and went directly to the looping 2 at 5 months (and DD is small to average in all measurements.) They were big but worked fine at that age and she was able to wear them til close to age 2. Then we switched to the looping 3. FYI they sell them at REI (if you are a member they are doing 20% off one item.) REI has an awesome return policy so might be a good place to buy.

Thank you both! I'll get the 2s. I think DH is a member, that's a great deal! Thanks for the rec!