PDA

View Full Version : When are you ging to introduce solid foods?

lowrioh
05-24-2011, 12:52 PM
So DD2 is coming up on 6 months and I am really ambivalent about starting her on solid foods. When we had our 4 month check up the doctor said we could start cereal and I said I wanted to delay solids and he said that was fine.
She can't sit up on her own yet and seems to be satisfied with just breast milk and formula. She sleeps like a trooper (~10-12 hours straight). She does stare at us when we eat and is interested in food.
So the question for those of you with infants, when are you planning on introducing solids to you LOs?

jennilynn
05-24-2011, 03:21 PM
We waited until he could sit up and crawl - both at 7 months. We started with real banana, avocado, sweet potato, etc. (never did rice cereal.) Purees were fun for about a month, now he HAS to feed himself so we do dried peas, Cheerios, etc. My theory is as long as babies are breastfeeding, solid food is really just for fun/practice until they are about a year old.

lec
05-24-2011, 03:53 PM
We started DD on solids at 6 months. We started with banana (still her favorite). We tried the rice cereal but she wanted nothing to do with it. She did like the oatmeal though. Some of her other first foods were avocado, squash, and sweet potato. I made DD's food and used www.wholesomebabyfood.com (http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com) as a reference.

babyfiorina1
05-25-2011, 10:53 AM
I personally feel that starting at 6 months is more appropriate than earlier. I tried my girl on solid when she was at 4 months and she wasn't that interested not to mentioned her oral and motor skills were simply not there yet. Now, she's 6.5 month old and she can sit on high chair with support and I've started her on rice cereal as her first food for 3-5 days to make sure no allergy there and it's like a great communication we have going on here when I feed her. She will open her mouth and close her lips around the spoon. She will turn her head away and refuse to open her mouth when she's full. She is in control and that is good. That's the way it supposed to be. I was just like "woww.... they sure know what to do when the time comes" kinda feeling! You don't have to mess too much with pureeing and you need to do that A LOT if you introduce it younger. I mashed fork her food most of the time, in some cases like green beans, I will strain them of course, and she took them so well.
If you have some time, I highly recommend this book "Child of mine: Feeding with love and good sense" by Ellyn Satter. I borrowed from local library and I really like her point of views on solid feeding.

Her favorite food is banana, mashed sweet potatoes and potatoes :)

LadyPeter
05-28-2011, 10:42 AM
We started at 6 months, when DS started grabbing for everything on our plates and shoving it into his mouth. LOL. He also stopped sleeping well and wanted a bottle every 2 hours, so we knew it was time. He loves pretty much everything - oatmeal, barley cereal, yogurt, pureed fruits and veggies, toast, teething biscuits, string cheese, baked sweet potatoes, whole bananas...

LMPC
05-28-2011, 02:19 PM
We started when DD was just shy of 6 months. Apples, pears, zucchini, avocado. It was absolutely just for practice since hardly any of it got into her mouth, and I would say that it wasn't a substantial amount until closer to 8 months. She still continued to consume waaaaay more BM than anything else.

stillplayswithbarbies
05-31-2011, 10:51 AM
we started at 9.5 months and 10.5 months but neither of mine were interested in solids until 11 months or so. One advantage of waiting that long is that they went pretty much straight to finger foods and feeding themselves. Breastmilk is all the nutrition they need for the first year of life. Solids are just for practice and learning before then.

mackmama
06-08-2011, 08:04 PM
If baby is formula fed (not BF), do you still believe in delaying solids until 8-10 mo old?

AmeMamma
06-13-2011, 06:18 PM
We introduced solid foods that were pureed food right when our daughters first couple of teeth came in. Once he/she gets teeth on both the top and bottom you can introduce regular foods that are also easy to swallow whole. It just builds up from there.

nrp
06-13-2011, 06:51 PM
We introduced solid foods that were pureed food right when our daughters first couple of teeth came in. Once he/she gets teeth on both the top and bottom you can introduce regular foods that are also easy to swallow whole. It just builds up from there.

My DD didn't get a tooth until almost 12 months, and she was happily gumming finger foods with ease from 7 or 8 months. Those first few teeth don't really help much with chewing, so I wouldn't necessarily wait on teeth to start solids (although it's fine, of course, to wait for other reasons). I started DD on purees around 5 months, then DS around 5.5 months, and I plan to wait until at least 6 months with DD2 so we can hopefully skip the purees altogether and go straight to finger foods.

marymoo86
06-14-2011, 12:34 PM
DD is 7 months and we just began the foray into finger foods. Have tried avocado and will try sweet potato next.

We skipped the cereal/puree stage and are doing BLW.

BabbyO
06-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Well I don't have an infant, yet, but will in a couple months...and DS is almost 2. We ended up starting solids (BLW) with DS around the 6.6-7 mo mark. At that point he would try to grab food off of our plates constantly. I'm pretty sure he was sitting up at that point, but not quite crawling.

We'll probably do the same with #2...around the 6-7 mo mark. We'll watch his cues for interest in solids and do BLW again. It was an accident that we did BLW, but it worked so well last time, I think we'll be giving it a go again!

mackmama
06-14-2011, 11:02 PM
I did it tonight - DC is 6mo. It went pretty well!

AmeMamma
06-15-2011, 08:10 PM
I should clarify, I misspoke, silly me. We started on pureed food, then when the first couple teeth came in we moved to more solid food. So around 6 month for pureed, then 9 months or so for solids. We had pretty wonderful experience with getting our daughter on solid foods. We have a community of Noblesville dining (http://www.stonecreekdining.com/) that offers lots of starter foods that our daughter loved. Overall, the transition to solids was pretty easy once she got past the texture.

nrp
06-15-2011, 08:16 PM
I just reread my post and I think I was the one who wasn't clear! With DD (and similarly for DS), we started purees around 5 months, but by 7 months she was toothlessly wolfing down a large variety of real food - steamed veggies, cheerios/puffs, pieces of fruit, shredded cheese - whatever she could get her hands on. The lack of teeth didn't seem to deter her at all. I wish she was still as welcoming of new foods!

Penny's Pappa
06-15-2011, 08:40 PM
We started rice cereal w/BM at four months. Our ped gave us the go ahead and Penny seemed ready; she sat up on her own just fine and appeared to take interest in our food and our utensils. We incrementally added in pureed veggies then fruits per our ped's instructions. By six months she was eating a wide variety of foods of varying taste and texture which I think helped her transition into larger chunks of food.

-----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.