PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this dress?

DrSally
05-24-2011, 04:36 PM
I found this AT loft dress at a consignment shop. It has an ivory lace body (slightly A-line) and black satin trim at the waist and neck. I have to get it dry cleaned, but it's in good condition.

My question is, does this look too dated or young? I like the boho, vintagy, look, but I just can't decide if it looks to 80's? Give me your honest opinions b/c this shop takes returns for 1 week.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=160582437383&nma=true&rt=nc&si=zEw8DVkbb3jROdiWe82OasOjkwA%253D

catpagmo
05-24-2011, 04:42 PM
I don't think it says 80's at all. I get more of a Charlotte from SATC vibe from that dress...classy, elegant, and a bit preppy. Cute! I like it!

crl
05-24-2011, 04:48 PM
I do like it. But I did think it was kind of a young look. I am 41 and I'm not sure I coukd pull it off.

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
05-24-2011, 04:52 PM
I like it and would wear it.

Beth

DrSally
05-24-2011, 05:00 PM
I don't think it says 80's at all. I get more of a Charlotte from SATC vibe from that dress...classy, elegant, and a bit preppy. Cute! I like it!

Thanks! It's funny, b/c Charlotte is the one that I tend to identify with.
It's a little bare on top and I'm not in great shape in the arms, if you KWIM. I would prob wear some sort of black cropped something on top.

ETA: It's also lined and comes a bit past the knee. IDK if that helps with the "youngness".

catpagmo
05-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks! It's funny, b/c Charlotte is the one that I tend to identify with.
It's a little bare on top and I'm not in great shape in the arms, if you KWIM. I would prob wear some sort of black cropped something on top.

ETA: It's also lined and comes a bit past the knee. IDK if that helps with the "youngness".

Yeah, when I first looked at it (after I thought "Charlotte!"), I thought a short black cardi would look cute over it. I recently saw some cute ones at Nordstrom, and they were short sleeved. Or a fitted black blazer, that accentuated the waist? Like this, in black:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen-two-button-blazer/3140797?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=2043

SnuggleBuggles
05-24-2011, 05:28 PM
That length makes it sound younger to me. Not an easy length to pull off unless tall and skinny, imo.

Beth

ThreeofUs
05-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Looks like the dresses coming off the runway this year to me. As well as like the Boden dressy dresses. I'd say go for it.

Melaine
05-24-2011, 06:44 PM
I like it!

DrSally
05-24-2011, 08:54 PM
That length makes it sound younger to me. Not an easy length to pull off unless tall and skinny, imo.

Beth

True. I guess I could always get it hemmed to above the knee, but something about the length makes it seem a bit more modest to me.

DrSally
05-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Yeah, when I first looked at it (after I thought "Charlotte!"), I thought a short black cardi would look cute over it. I recently saw some cute ones at Nordstrom, and they were short sleeved. Or a fitted black blazer, that accentuated the waist? Like this, in black:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen-two-button-blazer/3140797?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=2043

What an adorable blazer. Great for shorter women and I like that it's niped in at the waist. Totally looks like something they'd show on WNTW.

DrSally
05-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Looks like the dresses coming off the runway this year to me. As well as like the Boden dressy dresses. I'd say go for it.

Thanks, Ivy :wink2:
At consignment store prices, I think I'll just keep it and take my chances. With some sort of extra coverup on top, that should help. I actually have a black fitted blazer with a satin sash from the Gap ($2.xx at a consignment store) that might look OK with it for going to the theater or something.