PDA

View Full Version : Do your older age kids play board games like ...

ett
05-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Monopoly, Clue, Life, etc. You know the classic games we grew up with? I'm creating a Jeopardy game for kids with my sister and I suggested a board games category. She thinks that with all the Wii and PS and iPads and computers that kids are not playing board games anymore. Is that true? My kids love board games and we don't have any of the electronic games stuff, so are we the unusual ones?

new_mommy25
05-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Yup, my 7 year old plays all those games. He loves Monopoly, Life, Clue, Clue Jr., Trouble, Sorry, Battleship, Scrabble..all the classics! On my list to buy are Stratego or Risk. My 5 year old loves Monopoly Jr., Memory, Hi Ho Cherrio, and many more.

bnme
05-25-2011, 06:04 AM
My DS's do.

egoldber
05-25-2011, 06:25 AM
My older DD loves board games.

I have to say we don't play Monopoly or Life very much because they take sooooo long. But we love games in general.

Neatfreak
05-25-2011, 07:22 AM
I have to say we don't play Monopoly or Life very much because they take sooooo long. But we love games in general.

That is why Monopoly Jr is brilliant! The board is half the size, and the game goes by pretty quick!

My 6.5 year old likes board games as well. Quirkle is her new favourite.

hillview
05-25-2011, 07:26 AM
That is why Monopoly Jr is brilliant! The board is half the size, and the game goes by pretty quick!

My 6.5 year old likes board games as well. Quirkle is her new favourite.

My almost 6 year old likes math and board games. Would Monopoly Jr be a good choice?
/hillary

lovebargains
05-25-2011, 07:30 AM
Zingo is my 5 year olds fave

SnuggleBuggles
05-25-2011, 07:32 AM
Yes, we play those. Not as often as some other ones like Apples to Apples and Cranium ones and I bet he knows apps and video games more.

Beth

KrisM
05-25-2011, 07:49 AM
My almost 6 year old likes math and board games. Would Monopoly Jr be a good choice?
/hillary

There isn't much math involved in Monopoly Jr. My DS1 started regular Monopoly at 6.5. It's really long of course, but we play over a couple nights.

And, OP, yes, my kids play board games all the time. We don't have a Wii, etc though.

alexsmommy
05-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Nope.
I want them to. We have them. DS1 played some of the younger kid things like Zingo, but now our poor board games get no real love.
Having said that, I never really loved board games when I was a kid either. I called them "bored" games. With the lack of Wii and PS3, I did play them, but only when sort of "forced" to in certain situations. I would have rather read any day and DS1 is the same way. If I say "no screens" but I'll play a game with you, he'll say, "That's ok, I'll go read."

momof2girls
05-25-2011, 08:40 AM
My kids LOVE monopoly (disney version), they also play Bingo, Scrabble, Yatzee and card games.

gatorsmom
05-25-2011, 11:04 AM
We still really like The Family Pastimes games though they were VERY popular when my boys were 4 and 5yo. This is still one of their favorites:

http://www.amazon.com/Family-Pastimes-FF-Cooperative-Games/dp/B000W3LJXC/ref=sr_1_11?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1306335660&sr=1-11

The great thing about this game is you can make it as long or short as you want. When we don't have much time, you can make the game 10 minutes long. Add more pieces to it and it can take 30minutes. I also love that it is COOPERATIVE not competitive. They are getting better about being the loser, but there was an age where Gator could not STAND to lose. These games make all the players work together to get to the end. I also like that they are pretty inexpensive.

alien_host
05-25-2011, 12:47 PM
We play Boggle Jr, Monopoly (regular but we sometimes modify rules to make it easier for a 6YO and make it shorter), Yahtzee (Jr? It's a princess version). We also play a lot of card games, crazy 8, Uno, Old Maid etc.

We also play Zingo (not as much) and Guess Who? I need to break out Blokus and Sorry, I think those would be fun for her.

We do have a Wii, but to be honest we haven't used in in maybe 2 months - we did use it in the Winter. It goes in spurts. DD also has a Leapster but that is in spurts as well.

It's funny you are talking about Trival Pursuit...DD plays with our set but obviously doesn't know the answers but she moves the pieces around the board (rollls dice and moves) and collects the pie shapes.

dogmom
05-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Yes we have board games and video games. The board games are better for family nights.

My son also is now play old style Dungeons and Dragons (paper, character sheets, maps, imagination) with my husband, two of his friends, and two of friend's kids. They all love it. I can't say enough about a game that makes a much of 8-11 year old boys sit down for hours on end and talk, use there imagination, do math, do maps and read.

vonfirmath
05-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Growing up, we mostly only played board games when other folk came over. my sister and I did not generally take them out to play just the two of us.

lovin2shop
05-25-2011, 02:58 PM
My older DS loves all the classic board games, and he is an electronic nut as well. He will pick the board game over Wii or DS on most any day, the only exception being when he has a brand new game for the DS or Wii and can't wait to play/solve it.

Raidra
05-25-2011, 04:01 PM
My kids got Life for Xmas and LOVE it. They need my help a lot, though, but I don't mind playing. :) I want to get Monopoly next.

Colwyn and Lachlann always want to play board games and I have to tell them no a lot, because of Fiona and Niall being underfoot. So our board game time is limited to when my husband is around, but we do have a lot of fun when we get to it. :)

Jen841
05-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Not as much as I would like. The two are on the same sleep schedule. One is old enough and interested, and the other is younger and does not like to be excluded and steals parts,...

rlu
05-25-2011, 05:02 PM
DS really likes Sorry (and Sorry Sliders) and Battleship right now. He also enjoys some card games. We plan to introduce yahtzee and Uno soon.

Growing up my sister and I played chinese checkers, monopoly and clue (so much easier with only two people playing) and as a family we played yahtzee and parchesi. We had other games but these are the ones that spring to mind. Uno was popular with my firends when I was in jr high.

DH enjoys chess and is teaching DS. I don't think DS is ready for Risk but DH is chomping at the bit to teach him.

We don't have a wii or any other type of electronic game system.

new_mommy25
05-25-2011, 05:15 PM
/hillary

At age 6 my DS was playing regular Monopoly. He's actually very, very good. However, he still does play Monopoly Jr. with DD, who just made 5.

soon2b4
05-25-2011, 10:57 PM
We play them, too. DD really likes Clue and Monopoly and Othello.

wendmatt
05-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Not really, DD doesn't really like board games :(
I dont' know why, we have fun when I can convince he to play, but her or her friends never get out a game to play and we have a cupboard full sad but true.

kijip
05-26-2011, 12:28 AM
T loves games. Monopoly, Connect 4, Blockus, Scrabble are his faves.