PDA

View Full Version : More tornadoes coming!

DietCokeLover
05-24-2011, 11:43 PM
I am tired of this. I have a permanent bag packed and waiting in our bathroom in case we have to make a run for it. Couldn't they at least come in the daytime so I could get some sleep? Ugh.

bubbaray
05-24-2011, 11:48 PM
P&PT to you! Stay safe!

blue
05-25-2011, 12:15 AM
P&PT to you! Stay safe!

:yeahthat:

firemama
05-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Eeks! Not again! What a pain! Sending some positive thoughts your way. Stay safe! Keep us updated if you can.

neobunny
05-25-2011, 08:43 AM
I hear ya! Since moving to NC it seems all they talk about is the tornadoes. I'm loving NC but i'm dreaded the whole "a tornado may hit us at any moment" thing. I'd rather have a Massachusetts hurricane & blizzard on the same day then a tornado.

MoJo
05-25-2011, 08:55 AM
I was wondering if creating a comfy place in our unfinished basement would mean we WOULDN'T have to go there again tonight!

When the warning was sounded for our specific portion of our county Monday, the girls, the dog and I went to the basement. . . and DH went to the front portion with the video camera. Thankfully, the tornado was in another township and as far as I know there were no deaths.

Hope you don't need to use your bag, DietCokeLover!

TwoBees
05-25-2011, 09:02 AM
:hug: I've been thinking about you and the other tornado-alley BBBers. I hope this weather lets up soon so that you can get some relief. Stay safe!

Gracemom
05-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Our tornado sirens went off again last night and we spent some time in the closet. Thankfully, the kids love it - playing with flashlights, getting in their sleeping bags, etc. I was a wreck. I just kept seeing the devastation of Joplin and imagining our neighborhood that way. We had an F1 tornado in our town when my DS was a baby, and you just don't forget that sound. May this horrible tornado season end soon!

DietCokeLover
05-25-2011, 09:53 AM
We are ok. Our little town doesn't have sirens so I stayed up late watching the weather. Another town was devastated last night. It's really been a hard seaon around here and makes me more aware of being thankful. Hugging my family a little tighter today.

annex
05-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Our city has sirens, but with the windows closed, a/c running, etc, we would never hear them at night. So I signed us up for free text message alerts from Weather Underground. We get a text when our zip code goes under a Tornado Warning, and put the cell next to the bed with the volume turned up. --

http://www.wunderground.com/email/emailsettings.asp

(Not really much peace of mind if you are already under a warning and waiting on actual tornado spottings in your vicinity before taking shelter. ) Hugs to all of you in the main tornado alley areas!

gatorsmom
05-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Oh gosh, I've been thinking of everyone here as I read the news each day. I remember when the twins were infants and DH was out of town. I'd have bouncy seats set up in the basement closet and sleeping bags laid down for the boys and I'd be up all night frightened I wouldn't hear the sirens in case they went off. That was terrible.

That was at our last house. At this house, there hasn't been a tornado near where we live since recorded history. Something about the way the hills are formed. Besides that, the kids can all walk down to the basement now! I sleep a little easier at this house. :)

ladysoapmaker
05-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Because half the time I can't hear the sirens when the house is shut up, I picked up a weather radio (on sale @ krogers less then $30). It is great and it has a battery back up. We are also right next to the AF Base so when I can hear the sirens I also hear their's which include high winds and lightning and such... SO this helps. Only once did it not work and it was when the base saw a funnel form (that didn't touch down) and the weather folks didn't. Luci and I spent 30 minutes in the basement waiting for the all clear. The base sirens went off about 5 minutes before the county sirens. and about 7 min before the weather radio. Every other time the weather radios been on top of things.

Jen

wendibird22
05-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Hugs to all of you in tornado alley.

DH and I commented the other day that we might get buried in snow, have an ice storm that knocks out power for days and shuts down the town but neither of those things will destroy our home or kill us. Our greatest worry is keeping warm and losing all the contents of our fridge/freezer. My heart really goes out to all of you who live through tornadoes, hurricanes, wild fires, earthquakes, and mudslides.

MoJo
05-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the link, Annex! I've been looking for something like that. Our village doesn't have sirens, and the other sites I've seen send alerts for everything. I don't want my phone going off for a flood advisory. . . but I DO want my phone to go off if there's a tornado warning!

hellokitty
05-25-2011, 11:46 AM
I hope you guys will be safe. It is scary how bad it's been lately with the tornadoes.