PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for a care package for a friend who is getting chemo for breast cancer

kozachka
05-25-2011, 02:03 AM
A friend of mine is having chemo for breast cancer and I want to put together a few things to put together a care package for her. She is in Italy so it has to be something that is easy to ship by air, and preferably not heavy. I've heard that the treatment gives you a yucky taste in your mouth, so I was planning to put some teas. Also maybe body/hand/foot lotion without chemicals. Any other ideas/suggestions?

gatorsmom
05-25-2011, 10:00 AM
A friend of mine is having chemo for breast cancer and I want to put together a few things to put together a care package for her. She is in Italy so it has to be something that is easy to ship by air, and preferably not heavy. I've heard that the treatment gives you a yucky taste in your mouth, so I was planning to put some teas. Also maybe body/hand/foot lotion without chemicals. Any other ideas/suggestions?

Has she started chemo yet? If she has, do you know how well she is tolerating it or if she is having side effects? That could give you some ideas on what else to include in the care package.

I think the teas are a great idea, although I'd include some herbal teas and some with caffeine. I think the lotion is a great idea too, and I'd stay away from anything with a strong scent. I'm sure they have something like this in Italy, but you might want to include some Cetaphil soap because it is really mild and great for dry skin. You could include some relaxing music too. Maybe a couple of CD's of spa-type music? I know that at our hospital headphones were provided/encouraged during treatment. My dad asked for a lightweight, soft warm blanket because he said he just got colder more easily. That could be lightweight,though a bit bulky to send. If you have pictures of fun moments together, you could put together a little book of pictures of happier times. How about a pretty journal and nice pen for her to write down her thoughts, fears, concerns, etc? If you find a stylish hat, cap, or a pretty scarf you could include that if you know she is going to lose her hair (just make sure it's soft against the skin). How about a book written by someone who has beat the odds?

That's all I got. i'll say prayers for her.

pb&j
05-25-2011, 10:17 AM
A work contact went through chemo - she said the treatment room was always freezing so we got her slippers and a light blanket.

JoyNChrist
05-25-2011, 10:55 AM
My aunt said chemo made her skin really sensitive, so we got her a bunch of long and short sleeve Pima cotton t-shirts. (Land's End, maybe? It's been a couple years ago.)

kozachka
05-26-2011, 12:29 AM
Has she started chemo yet? If she has, do you know how well she is tolerating it or if she is having side effects? That could give you some ideas on what else to include in the care package.

Yes, she has started the chemo already. Unfortunately, we don't know if she is having side effects or not. We've only received very short e-mails from her husband, whose English is not very good.

Thank you for your suggestions. It's a lot to choose from. Also, wondering if there is a book we can get for her DS who is turning 8 this June and is probably scared for his mom. Our friend's sister had breast cancer and died from it. And she is on her second round of treatments for it as well. The first one was several years ago, but sadly the desease returned.