PDA

View Full Version : My 11 month old is trying to have me committed.

fortato
05-25-2011, 08:48 AM
And I would actually welcome the break.

Matthew's always been doing things early- rolling over at 2 weeks, crawling by 3 months, walking at 7... Climbing over the sofa to escape "baby jail" now.

He's in the high chair eating Cheerios right now- because I KNOW he can't get out of there. He looks like he was hit by a bus- bruises, cuts scrapes all because he walks and falls and pulls things down that he couldn't reach 2 minutes ago, but can reach now....(Pulled my camera down onto his head last night, that was fun.... apparently he is tall enough to pull things off the kitchen table.)

I'm not sure what I'm looking for here... I just needed to throw it out there, and if you have suggestions on how to contain him, I'd really appreciate it.
(We have a super yard, and some gates...I'm thinking of putting the dog crate back together, just so I can pee.)
ETA- Here's what I'm dealing with...
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/kristenkotrlik/015-9.jpg
and because he's cute..
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/kristenkotrlik/IMG_5357.jpg

boogiemomz
05-25-2011, 08:55 AM
My, oh my. No suggestions for containing him, but that is one scrumptious baby!!

Snow mom
05-25-2011, 09:25 AM
OMG, is he standing on the dog to access the window in that first picture? Or is that just my imagination. My daughter kicks our dogs out of their crate so she can play in there, if that helps with your decision ;)

Moneypenny
05-25-2011, 09:28 AM
He is adorable! I have a nephew who was just like that. He would jump off furniture, stand at the top of the stairs and throw himself down them, etc just to see what would happen. He was fearless and had several broken bones, dislocated joints, and other more minor injuries because of it. We basically just monitored him constantly until he outgrew that physical stage - unless he was sleeping he was never alone and very frequently someone was literally within two feet of him at all times so they could try to save him when he got a wild hair to see if he could fit himself in the dishwasher, carry the kitchen table on his back, jump from the sofa to the fireplace mantel, etc.

Once he could climb out of his crib (I think that was about 18 months), they took all the furniture out of his room (so he wouldn't climb), put bars on the windows (so he wouldn't fall out of his 2nd story window) and a lock on the outside of the door (so he couldn't freely roam the house) so he wouldn't hurt himself while everyone else was sleeping. It was pretty extreme!

To reassure you, he's now in his 20s and not at all a daredevil!

fortato
05-25-2011, 09:49 AM
OMG, is he standing on the dog to access the window in that first picture? Or is that just my imagination. My daughter kicks our dogs out of their crate so she can play in there, if that helps with your decision ;)

LOL- It wouldn't surprise me if he did use the dog, but no, it's not- that's a footstool that's shaped like a bear.... we have since moved it out of the living room.
http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/pict/1201580590714040_28.jpg

momm
05-25-2011, 10:12 AM
ROTFL!!

I'm sorry I have no advice but your baby is SO cute and you are SO funny!!

JoyNChrist
05-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Precious boy!

I have no advice, but loads of commiseration, because Elliott is cruising and trying to walk, so he's currently sporting a black eye and a goose egg. Avery was never into stuff like he is (and Sadie just figured out how to crawl). This one will be the death of me.

wendibird22
05-25-2011, 11:19 AM
My youngest starting crawling into the dog crate to "read" books at about 9mos old...I think to get some personal space from her big sister. I would suggest a small climbing structure or frequent trips to a bouncy place to get that energy out of him as much as you can. It's either climb those things or climb your walls!

fortato
05-25-2011, 03:30 PM
We went to a bouncy house place not too long ago... he was "that kid" that climbed places with the mother that was clueless as to how to deal with him.

BabyMine
05-25-2011, 03:35 PM

My Dane/Mastiff was sleeping under our kitchen buffet counter and TT stood on him to get something. The dog didn't even wake up.

OP he is absolutely adorable. I had/have the same problem with TT. No matter what trouble he is up to when he turns and smiles my heart melts.