PDA

View Full Version : When to transition from soft soles to rubber soles?

weech
05-25-2011, 12:48 PM
DS has been walking for about a month, maybe. He's not walking any long distances yet, just toddling around the house and some outside. How do I know when he's ready for a shoe with a slightly thicker sole? He's been wearing ShooShoos and a pair of the Smaller by See Kai Run.

Is there a point where you know it's time for more support? He'll be outside a lot this summer, so I want to get him a decent pair of shoes.

YouAreTheFocus
05-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks for posting this question, I have also been meaning to ask this! :)

My son is now 19 mos, been walking since 16 mos, and still wears Smallers. He just outgrew the 12-18s so we got him a pair of 18-24s. We also got him a pair of the regular SKRs but we don't like them anywhere near as much (they are REALLY hard to put on).

Hopefully someone can advise if/when little walkers should move from the soft soles to thicker soles...?

BabyBearsMom
05-25-2011, 03:58 PM
DD switched when she started almost exclusively walking and walking a lot outside. At daycare she plays on a brick patio, and the soles of her feet would have red marks on them from walking on the patio in her Shooshoos. I switched her to Stride Rite SRTs which seem to me to be a nice middle point. Not a thick sole but a bit more supportive and protect her feet more than the soft sole shoes do. It did take her about 2 days to get used to walking in them but now she is great with them.