PDA

View Full Version : Hemorrhoid help!

misshollygolightly
05-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Urgh! I'm about 38 weeks pregnant and I'm pretty sure I've got hemorrhoids. I've tried a lot of the suggested self-care methods described online (warm baths, Tucks pads/witch hazel, etc.), but nothing seems to help for long. And, unfortunately, the kind of work I do (reading, writing, working on my dissertation, etc.) requires sitting for long periods of time (on a comfy chair or couch, but still). Does anyone know which topical OTC meds are safe and effective to use for hemorrhoids while pregnant?

SnuggleBuggles
05-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Have you tried sitting on a birthing/ yoga type ball? I found it to put less pressure on mine when I was pg.

Beth

misshollygolightly
05-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Have you tried sitting on a birthing/ yoga type ball? I found it to put less pressure on mine when I was pg.

Beth

I haven't tried that yet...I don't actually have one of those. Not sure I especially want to buy one (or find a place to put it in my overcrowded house), but if nothing else helps than I guess it would be worth it! Other suggestions?

Dream
05-25-2011, 06:58 PM
What realy helped me was sitz bath. I filled the basin with very warm water and added epsom salt. Sat on it for about 15 min twice a day. I felt huge improvement from the second day itself.

pastrygirl
05-25-2011, 06:59 PM
I LOVE Earth Mama Bottom Balm (not the baby one, which is for diaper rash). It worked like nothing else! It's especially nice chilled. Postpartum, I used some on a Tucks pad during the lochia thing, when you need ice and big pads in your undies.

janine
05-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Thank you for posting - I wanted to do but couldn't do it. I'm only 19wks and not sure if this is unusual to be dealing with this early on - it is definitely not fun. I keep meaning to reach out to a doctor but haven't had time - how do you know it's hemmoroids (visual or from symptoms)?

Sorry I'm not much more help, I think the tucks and Earth Mama suggestion sound good. I'm guessing this is available at any pharmacy?

pastrygirl
05-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Thank you for posting - I wanted to do but couldn't do it. I'm only 19wks and not sure if this is unusual to be dealing with this early on - it is definitely not fun. I keep meaning to reach out to a doctor but haven't had time - how do you know it's hemmoroids (visual or from symptoms)?

Sorry I'm not much more help, I think the tucks and Earth Mama suggestion sound good. I'm guessing this is available at any pharmacy?Earth Mama Angel Baby is a "crunchy" brand, but I've seen it in a lot of stores. Here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Mama-Bottom-Balm-oz/dp/B000WGVLWI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306366367&sr=8-1

I've had H issues for years. Pregnancy/birth made it temporarily worse. Downright scary those first few days after birth! I found out about the Bottom Balm on day 3, and it made a huge difference!

(The mama version of the balm has a picture of a pregnant belly, the baby one has a cute baby tush. I like that one for babies, too.)

misshollygolightly
05-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. I just took a hot bath with epsom salts and that did seem to help some. I'll definitely look into the Earth Mama product--I loved their nipple butter and mother's milk tea when I was nursing last time.

Janine--to answer your question, I had diagnosed hemorrhoids once before (after DS was born), but I couldn't really separate them from the other pains and discomforts I was feeling at the time (had a 4th degree tear, etc.). What I'm experiencing now reminds me a bit of what I do remember from my first case of hemorrhoids, but mostly I'm going by the descriptions and photos (eek!) that I've found online. So I'm not 100% sure that I have hemorrhoids (not diagnosed by a doctor or anything), but what I have seems to fit the description. Sorry--that's probably way TMI and maybe not helpful to you! Anyway, feel free to PM me if you've got questions (or just want to commiserate)!

waitingforgrace
05-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Ugh I got them after having DD. I had to use the OTC hemorrhoid creams when it got really bad. They help shrink the inflamed tissue. It's pretty immediate relief and after a day I'm usually fine until it gets aggravated again.

Kymberley
05-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Ugh I got them after having DD. I had to use the OTC hemorrhoid creams when it got really bad. They help shrink the inflamed tissue. It's pretty immediate relief and after a day I'm usually fine until it gets aggravated again.

That's what I do as well. I swear, they are worse now than when I was pregnant. I need to see a doctor, but am scared to death. I mean, come on! Who want's someone poking down there?!

On another note, do NOT google hemorrhoids. OMG. They make sure to show you the worst cases they can, I do believe.

janine
06-01-2011, 09:06 AM
This has gotten worse for me this week - so painful and hard to get around. Bought some TUCKS but commuting and full day at desk are killing me! I'm going to call my dr. to see what OTC creams are ok during preg. This sux!

misshollygolightly
06-01-2011, 09:19 AM
So sorry, Janine! Hope you can get some relief. So far, the Epsom salt baths (1-2/day) and Tucks pads have been pretty effective for me. Let us know what your doc says about safe OTC treatments!

BabbyO
06-01-2011, 09:25 AM
FWIW, if you're looking into a balance ball/birth ball, but don't want to deal with storage, etc....the balance disc may be a good alternative. It is much smaller, but I find sitting on it very similar to sitting on a balance ball. You generally can get them for under $25.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=balance+disc

longtallsally05
06-01-2011, 11:14 AM
How about one of those donut shaped rings to sit on? They are ugly, but they will take the pressure off the 'roids and make a huge difference. After my last pregnancy, I bought a cushion that looks like something you'd put on your bed, except there's a hole in the middle of it. It is a huge relief for putting in your car, your rocking chair, whatever.

lhafer
06-01-2011, 01:06 PM
This has gotten worse for me this week - so painful and hard to get around. Bought some TUCKS but commuting and full day at desk are killing me! I'm going to call my dr. to see what OTC creams are ok during preg. This sux!

Ask your dr. to prescribe a Rx strength medication. It starts with an A...but I can't remember the name. I have had hemmies since I was 14 years old. They were horrible during pregnancy, and have never gone away - only gotten worse. I will need surgery to fix mine. :(

jennilynn
06-01-2011, 01:24 PM
:hug: I feel you. Mine show up pretty much as soon as I get pregnant, so I think they are related to the hormones more so than the weight of the baby. I tried everything, the only thing that made them go away was having the baby :) But my midwife recommended Hem-Care and it helped. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Enzymatic-Therapy-Sit-Easy-capsules/dp/B00014GB26
It's an herbal remedy I got at the health food store. Also, drinking lots of water and eating high fiber foods. Good luck!

janine
06-03-2011, 09:50 AM
thanks everyone - it's reassuring in a way to know others have/had this - kind of embarrasing to bring up IRL.

May i ask what some of you have for symptoms? I can see something visually, lots of pain standing/sitting/moving. I dread bathroom visits and there's been blood. Gross and scary, I know.

My dr. said anything OTC is fine (Prep H,etc) as well as sitz baths. I had thought this wouldn't be good while preg - not sure if others' docs have said something similar. She also wants me to see a speciliast, eek. I hope this isn't a lifelong thing!

RunnerDuck
06-07-2011, 03:37 PM
I had HIDEOUS hemmorhoids after having my last child. I could not sit to nurse and I was d/c'ed from this hospital with no pain meds. When I went back in to see the midwives they actually thought I had a prolapsed rectum - rx'ed meds - sent me to a surgeon - who would not rx meds because they can constipate. He seriously had the "I am a man and I know nothing about nursing a baby" chip on his shoulder. YES they can make it worse but I could not take care of my baby!!!!! I ended up begging meds from friends and family, ad more or less fixing the real problem with a miralax clean out. 2 doses, 3 times a day, for 3 days, followed by a normal once a day dose for a while. It was HORRIBLE. Miralax is safe for pregnancy. You need to keep things empty down there and it will help a lot. Ice on the rhoids and your butt in the air if you can swing it. Preperation H maximum pain relief cream is good, as is dermaplast spray. Both are OTH. My butt is back to normal now but it was AWFUL. And so embarassing. Sitz baths and donut made it worse for me - gravity makes blood pool to the area which you DON'T want.