PDA

View Full Version : What is your "calling?"

mackmama
05-25-2011, 09:49 PM
I am watching Oprah's final show. She said that we all have a calling and should aim to find it in our lives. She clarified that, for some, our calling aligns with our profession while, for others, it may not (but is no less important). So... do you believe this and, if so, what is your calling?

liz
05-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Nurse, without a doubt. I remember telling people I wanted to be a nurse since I was 4 years old. I would also say mother, but I didn,t think of it as a calling until I had kids, if that makes sense.

Puddy73
05-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Still looking, but I'm 99% sure that it isn't being an attorney. I've accepted that I won't get much job fulfillment and look for it in other areas of my life (family, church, charity work).

kijip
05-25-2011, 10:38 PM
When I was a child growing up in the Catholic Church (even from a very young age), I thought as did most all around me, that I was going to be a nun and enter a life of full-time service of God towards a more peaceful world. After my family joined the Episcopal Church once I was a bit older, I was part of a circle of young people who felt like they may be called to the ministry. Many of my friends, as a result, are now priests. But ultimately, my religious beliefs changed dramatically. The fact that I am not in religious life floored my childhood priest.

I feel that I have adapted part of a life of service to a different channel in the wake of changing religious beliefs. I see a service and an advocacy component to what I do. But it is in no way specifically religious, despite me being told over and over again by random people, many who I have just met, that I am "doing the Lord's work." Which is sort of strangely humorous to me.

soon2b4
05-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Teaching... stopped when DD1 was born. Went back 2 days a week this year when she started 1st grade. I have loved it! I will be home now again for DD2, though, so informal teaching will have to fulfill me ;)

SnuggleBuggles
05-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Alas, my calling is to be in charge of a lot of people but I dislike politics so much so I have ruled out being president.

I'm still looking for something else.

Beth

hellokitty
05-25-2011, 10:46 PM
Hmm, I would say breastfeeding. I'm an RN, but also a LLL leader. My RN really had nothing to do with me becoming a BF advocate or leader, since I received barely any education about BFing during my nursing education. Obviously, motherhood is what spurred my interest in BFing. I probably would have become a leader even if I weren't an RN, but I do have to admit that my career and passion for BFing go very well hand in hand and ppl tend to not blow me off as much as they might with a non-HCP BF advocate, b/c they know that I have that RN behind my name on top of being a LLL leader. That doesn't sound nice, but I think it's realistic thinking. It's just something I'm passionate about. I'm still thinking about whether I'd like to pursue becoming a LC or not in the future, it's definitely a reachable goal with my leader/RN combo. My main concern is that I don't think I could make a good living doing it in my area and once it becomes a real, "job" I wonder if my feelings will change about it and it will end up just feeling like work, kwim?

lhafer
05-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Hmm, I would say breastfeeding. I'm an RN, but also a LLL leader. My RN really had nothing to do with me becoming a BF advocate or leader, since I received barely any education about BFing during my nursing education. Obviously, motherhood is what spurred my interest in BFing. I probably would have become a leader even if I weren't an RN, but I do have to admit that my career and passion for BFing go very well hand in hand and ppl tend to not blow me off as much as they might with a non-HCP BF advocate, b/c they know that I have that RN behind my name on top of being a LLL leader. That doesn't sound nice, but I think it's realistic thinking. It's just something I'm passionate about. I'm still thinking about whether I'd like to pursue becoming a LC or not in the future, it's definitely a reachable goal with my leader/RN combo. My main concern is that I don't think I could make a good living doing it in my area and once it becomes a real, "job" I wonder if my feelings will change about it and it will end up just feeling like work, kwim?

Not sure what kind of nursing you do, but you should think about working in the NICU as a nurse, or a milk bank as a LC. I LOVED teaching the new moms about nursing, and new parents about their babies. I really miss being a NICU RN, because I miss the babies. But I really don't *miss* nursing per se. I have thought about going back to school to become an occupational therapist. I could still work with babies, and still be in the medical field - I just wouldn't have to do the ins and outs of daily nursing stuff that I didn't care for.

I think my calling is babies. I LOVE everything about babies. I'm good at babies. I loved being a NICU nurse because I wanted to be around the babies. I loved teaching new parents. I really like the aspect of teaching as part of nursing.

I would love to open my own business regarding babies (not so much clothes though). I have seriously thought about it, but not sure what I could do. I would love to do a smaller shop that has awesome baby gear - all the new cool stuff, not just what the big box stores carry. And I'm pretty sure a store like that would float in my area. I just don't have the capital to start my own business. :'( I have thought about it a lot, come up with a name, and the domain name is even available!! Maybe I should just go ahead and buy the domain name!!

lalasmama
05-25-2011, 11:19 PM
In the broad scheme of things, "babies" are my calling. Not necessarily octo-mom proportion ;) but just anything and everything around babies. Fertility, pregnancy, birth, nursing, infant development. The interest in these things is just never quenched for me.

I was laughed at (good-naturedly!) over the weekend as I held a friend's baby. He would cry and I would rock and talk to him, sway, etc. I never really realized I was doing it; barely noticed that he was fussing at all. I haven't ever experienced that "OMG, the baby is crying" feeling--plenty of babies have lived with me and been high needs. But I've just never had that panic about a crying baby.

Since I do occasionally like adult interaction though, hee hee hee, I wanted something where I help mamas and babies, which means lactation consultant now, and, eventually, a midwife.

I guess that's my calling... mamas and fresh new babies.

hellokitty
05-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Not sure what kind of nursing you do, but you should think about working in the NICU as a nurse, or a milk bank as a LC. I LOVED teaching the new moms about nursing, and new parents about their babies. I really miss being a NICU RN, because I miss the babies. But I really don't *miss* nursing per se. I have thought about going back to school to become an occupational therapist. I could still work with babies, and still be in the medical field - I just wouldn't have to do the ins and outs of daily nursing stuff that I didn't care for.

I think my calling is babies. I LOVE everything about babies. I'm good at babies. I loved being a NICU nurse because I wanted to be around the babies. I loved teaching new parents. I really like the aspect of teaching as part of nursing.

Yeah, well see that is a problem, it's where I live. In a larger city, I would definitely look into working at NICU, even though I've never been a true peds nurse. The hospitals here do NOT have NICUs (ship babies out to larger cities an hr away), and there is no milk bank here either. Patient teaching is also my favorite part of being a nurse, unfortunately, as a critical care nurse, I didn't get a chance to do much of that, since the vast majority of my pts were not walkie talkie pts, kwim? I would really love to do more community health promotion, it would be my dream job, but nothing like that exists in our area. We're in the stix and the BF rate is really pitiful to begin with, we have two LCs in our area and they barely scrounge up enough business btwn the two of them and they also hate each other's guts. I know that I have no desire to go back into critical care. I just talked about this with another RN friend of mine today (time to renew our licenses and everyone is scrambling to get CEUs done) at stroller class and she was also a critical care nurse prior to having kids and says she wants to return to nursing, not critical care, but she's not sure what exactly she would want to do and I'm feeling like I am in the same boat.

Lol, and I have to laugh, b/c I too have thought that maybe I should pursue a different career in OT instead, but the amt of education involved at this point isn't realistic for me and the programs are all a very long commute.

AnnieW625
05-25-2011, 11:52 PM
I really think that being a mom is my calling now but I do work full time outside the home as a govt. employee. I would like to write a blog full time but no one would ever pay me to do it I am just not that exciting of a person and everything I want to blog about has already been done.

Beginning in elementary school I wanted to work in the news business, and I got my degree in television and film because it was interesting. If we ever move somewhere where it was cheaper to live and I could work in a news room somewhere for $10 an hour I'd do it. I used to dream about being on air talent, but now I think I'd be okay being an editor, copy writer, producer, or doing something in regards to programming or traffic (the flow of programming, not highway reports!). For one day I would love to be on TMZ because I am sucked into that show everytime it is on because they people are just clueless (except for Harvey, he's pretty smart).

In college I quickly thought about working as a RN with a nutrition specialty, but I was deathly afraid of needles so I knew that wasn't going to fly, plus I wasn't really keen on having to take the required biology and chemistry classes that were needed.

kozachka
05-26-2011, 12:36 AM
I wish I knew... I am on profession # 4 (or 5) and am still not done.

I am a natural at selling, negotiations and building relationships. I also gravitate toward mentoring junior colleagues. I am great at reseaching things and planning trips. And am a pretty good bargain hunter. I kicked ass when I was in sales and as a mergers and acquisitions investment banker but lifestyle sucks.

JoyNChrist
05-26-2011, 12:46 AM
I am a good photographer. Potentially great. I still have a lot to learn in the technical sense, but I have a great eye and am able to capture emotion and tell a story with pictures. I don't know that it will ever be a full-time career for me (honestly I don't know that I would ever want it to), but I definitely think it's something I can use to touch people's lives. And it's a wonderful skill to have with my own children.

I'm also a pretty good public speaker and very persuasive. I could see myself involved in some sort of nonprofit work in the future.

My degree is in Spanish Education, but I don't think teaching is my actual calling. I think I could be a good teacher, but never a truly great one.

tribe pride
05-26-2011, 08:21 AM
For me, I find my calling in the first question of the Westminster Catechism (a Reformed/Presbyterian catechism from the 17th century):
Q: What is the chief end of man?
A: To glorify God and enjoy him forever.

I really believe that this is why we're created, and my goal is to, humbly, live in such a way that whatever I do, whether it's making dinner, hanging out with friends, managing my finances, or earning a living while I was in the workforce, I'm trying to honor God.

Before I was a SAHM, I worked in ministry, and I loved it. If I were to go back to work, I think I'd love to do children's ministry at a church. But, I've also always really wanted to write books ever since I was young. I don't know if I would say that's a calling- maybe just a long-held desire, and who knows if I'll ever act on it or have the talent for it- but writing books for a living would be a dream job for me.

Staraglimmer
05-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Teaching. I am 100% sure :). I don't really give myself a lot of credit, but Pre-DD I was an awesome teacher. :). I really miss it.

bubbaray
05-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Being a lawyer, specifically a barrister.

calv
05-26-2011, 09:54 AM

this would be me. after nursing 3 kids, I'd love to go about becoming a LLL or helping to educate how important BFing is. we need to talk via PM ;) ETA, no I'm not a nurse but I have such a passion and belief in nursing that I love to 'work' or educate in that area

carolinamama
05-26-2011, 09:56 AM
I think my calling has something to do with caring for people. I am an ICU RN in a large teaching hospital. While I do like the technical aspect of it, I mostly enjoy helping patients and families with end of life decisions and what comes with it. I hate all the flogging we do at the end of life but that's a whole other topic, I think. While I think I would enjoy hospice, I don't think it is my true calling because I also need to have more of the technical aspect of nursing in my career. I also love a good save when someone came in very very sick and we really didn't think they would pull through. This is really hard to put into words for those who haven't been in this environment but sometimes death is so much better than keeping these people alive on machines and drugs and I feel that I (we) can really make a difference and support them at these times.

almostmom
05-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Does Sudoku and Rush Hour and jigsaw puzzles count? If someone can translate those passions into a calling, please let me know.

Man, I'm really trying to figure this one out. I was brought up to believe I could do whatever I wanted, but now I'm not sure what that is anymore, let alone how anything can fit into the lifestyle as a mom that I want, and so I don't really want to do anything! But work has always been tied to my academic passion for science and the environment. Looking to find my next career, but feeling lost. Going to a career counselor tonight - can't wait to start that process, even if spending the money on it is not how I want to spend my money.

But I guess I do feel a calling to appreciate and protect nature, for all the known and unknown, tangible and intangible benefits it provides, and to bring others into that fold, be they young or old.

mommylamb
05-26-2011, 12:09 PM
winning the lotto :D (I can dream, can't I)

Globetrotter
05-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Helping people make connections, network and find resources. My career path does go along with this, but I've been sidetracked after having my kids. I do miss working with people formally in this way.. but I'm the "resource" for my circle of friends and family, from health matters to purchases to relocation questions. You name it - they ask me :rotflmao: Just don't tell them I get half my information from the BBB :wink2:

ETA: I too was inspired by Oprah's last show, though I only saw the beginning.

boolady
05-26-2011, 12:34 PM
It's not very noble, but I love to cook and have always wanted to have a catering/prepared foods business...I'd be happy with a little shop of some sort. I've become increasingly interested in supporting local farmers/food suppliers, so using primarily fresh, local ingredients would be a large part of it.

BabyH
05-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Is it ok to say my calling was to be a vet.... but the damn chemistry classes kept me out of any chances of getting into vet school? (or even applying for that matter...)

After spending my life around horses and working at some very notable barns and places in Kentucky, I've grown to become a very skilled and knowledgeable horsewoman and rider. Unfortunately, where I am located now does not really present any opportunity to put these skills to use... so my real *chance* at becoming something "big time" regarding horsemanship has passed...but that's ok.

I have worked for a greedy pharmaceutical company and LOVED it, but then they laid off everyone in my state. Blah. Although I was very good in the sales profession. (I have just eliminated those jobs from my search now, because the training is usually 2-4 weeks away from home and I just can't do that right now)

As for now, after staying at home for DS for the first year, I'm looking at new opportunities... so we'll see if anything promising happens....

TxCat
05-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Alas, my calling is to be in charge of a lot of people but I dislike politics so much so I have ruled out being president.

I'm still looking for something else.

Beth

:rotflmao: This made me laugh out loud.

I think it was to do obstetrics and gynecology. I loved the field, loved helping educate my patients and their families, loved being an active advocate on the topic of women's health. I even had a great practice lined up that I was going to join - a fabulous combination of midwives and OB/gyns, that is somewhat rare to find. But, I hated the lifestyle, missed seeing my friends and family, and worried about how I would manage things once I had children. So I switched fields. And a part of me always regrets that.

Melanie
05-26-2011, 01:02 PM
I wish I knew!

I always felt it was to be a mother, and still is. But as my kids get older, I wish for something in addition, preferably that brings money in.

dogmom
05-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Being a nurse, more specifically a Critical Care Nurse. I have autonomy, I get respect professionally, I like dealing with patients, although the families are a little bit more up in the air. And I get a good mix of dealing with talking patients to trying to deal with really sick patients that need two nurses in the room at all times to save them. I also think what I learned about you never know what can happen to you when has really shaped my life over the last two decades. And I don't mean in a bad way.

lizzywednesday
05-26-2011, 01:17 PM
I obviously haven't been listening hard enough to know what my calling is!

I have things that I enjoy doing (like singing) and I do a bit of volunteer work for my college alumni association, but they're not exactly a "calling" per se.

I think about the times I felt most myself and content that all of my skills were being showcased to their potential and they are few and far between.

Two I can recall perfectly are when I was a "peer minister" for my church (I am no longer particularly religious) and while I worked for the university's information services center as a college student.

I also felt like I was making a positive impact on people's lives, which was very rewarding.

Unfortunately, I'm not in any position to job-hunt or even take classes to improve my situation for various reasons that have made me a very very very resentful and bitter person.

mackmama
05-26-2011, 01:23 PM
I have not answered my own question because I have been deep in thought about it. Nature, animals, and listening are my calling. Animals have always been my truest calling, but I have not made it a career. I almost became a veterinarian, but it wasn't quite the right fit for me. I have explored having an animal accompany me in my private practice, which I might still do when I return to work. Living my life in accordance with my calling is still definitely a work in progress.

maestramommy
05-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Teaching. For several years it was in the classroom. Now it's at home and maybe church. In future we'll have to see.

maestramommy
05-26-2011, 01:36 PM
I have explored having an animal accompany me in my private practice, which I might still do when I return to work.

This makes me curious. What was your career?

crazydiamond
05-26-2011, 02:03 PM
A trust fund baby - international playboy. Unfortunately I was born to working class parents in the Midwest. .....sigh.... missed my true calling.... I would have been stellar as a "Hilton" kid.

daisymommy
05-26-2011, 03:04 PM
But it is in no way specifically religious, despite me being told over and over again by random people, many who I have just met, that I am "doing the Lord's work." Which is sort of strangely humorous to me.

Aaah, but when you consider that the Lord's work is to be His hands and feet here on this Earth, to help feed the hungry, and take care of the poor--I'd say you're doing a pretty good job at that ;)

My father, who is a pastor, often reminds people that of every single person became a nun or priest, we would be in a world of hurt. There would be no doctors and nurses to care for the sick and injured, no farmers to feed the hungry, no mommies to care for the children. As long as God is working through you, people need not feel bad that they are not in the ministry as a label goes. Not saying you feel bad--but many people I have come across think they are doing less-than with their lives because they don't have a religious title in front of their name.

My mother is the one person who made the largest religious impact on my life, and she was just a simple SAHM :)

daisymommy
05-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Well, until recently I would say it was working as a psychologist, and/or working with children.
I have been told all my life that I have an eerie ability to read people, to look into them and understand them without them saying two words. That I am a good listener, and give great advice and pep talks.
That's what I went to school for, and did for several years, pre-kids.

But you know what? This sounds sad--I'm tired of taking care of everyone's problems :bag. I guess that's what happens with the daily stressful life of being a SAHM mom to 3 kids and housewife. DH and I, and DS all have some emotional and mental "issues" that we deal with. So I'm not real keen on going back to that career. Which is too bad since it comes uber-easy to me.

I am passionate about natural living, birthing, parenting, etc. So, I will probably go back to school to be a midwife or doula later, combined with a lactation consultant cert., maybe teach attachment parenting classes too. I would really enjoy it.
But I find it interesting that this is a new evolved me, not the me I always thought I would be.