PDA

View Full Version : How to feed a toddler when living in a hotel?

Kira's Mommy
05-25-2011, 10:30 PM
So I'm going for a 5 days conference and I'm taking DD, who is 15 mo, and the nanny with me. I'm still breastfeeding.

The hotel room does not have a kitchenette or a microwave. I'll try to get a fridge but it'll be a challenge. The hotel and the conference is in Niagara Falls, Ontario - tons of restaurants around but I cannot really think about feeding DD in these restaurants. There are grocery stores but how would I cook hot meals for her? She's used to warm freshly prepared meals - kasha, soups, pasta, steamed veggies etc. She would. not. eat. jarred baby food. She'll eat any adult food though, the unhealthier the better, but I wouldn't want to go that route.

Here are my thoughts so far. Please add your ideas.

Breakfast is easy: baby cereal mixed with boiled water from the coffeemaker, fruits, yogurt

Snacks are easy too as long as there are grocery stores around

But what do I do with lunches and dinners? go out for a soup somewhere?sushi restaurants are her favourite... Try to force jarred baby food into her?? which kind? I'm thinking Wendy's plain baked potato would be relatively healthy... Rice and steamed veggies from a Chinese place? Plain pasta with cheese? Instant cuscus in the hotel? Instant oatmeal (not really lunch and not really healthy but whatever...)?

Is there something I should bring with me? A mini-fridge in case hotel does not have one, an electrical kettler? I don't think the hotel will allow me to use them though...

I'm really worried about feeding her these 5 days. Please help!!!

Many TIAs!

rin
05-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Is there a reason you don't want to take her to the restaurants nearby? Does she not do well in restaurants, or do you not want her eating the kind of food that the local restaurants serve? What will you be eating?

My DD's 13 months right now, and we travel a lot for work/family obligations and vacation. Hotels are more stressful than staying somewhere with a kitchen, for sure, but for us that's more because of the cramped living spaces than the food issues. We basically just feed her little bits of whatever we're having, and then pick up a few things for snacks at the local grocery stores (crackers, fruit, cheese, etc). I always figure that if I think it's good enough for me to eat, then it should be good enough for my DD, and if I don't think it's good enough for her then why am I eating it! :wink2: It's only 5 days, and things get wonky on vacation. If all the restaurant meals are too stressful for her, then you could always get takeout and eat in the hotel room or do picnics in the park (which my DD always loves).

ptimimo
05-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Oh I feel for you... I had to stay 3 weeks in a hotel during hubby's relocation so here are a few of my tips. Hope this helps.

Does your hotel has a breakfast room in the lobby? If so, you might be able to borrow one of their high chairs to make feeding easier.

Ask if your room has a microwave. A lot of hotels now provide them and it would make meal preparation a lot easier, including for hot water. Coffee makers are usually pretty gross so I'd heat the water in the microwave if available.

In my case, my kid loved seeing new people so he enjoyed taking his meals outside of the room. Bonus was that the room didn't smell like food once we were ready for bed. I'd treat the meals the same way you would on a regular outings. Keep it simple and close to your child's routine.

Last but not least... remember to pack electric plug covers. There are lots and lots of outlets and cords in a hotel room... We also packed a small plastic gate for the bathroom but since you are traveling with a nanny, that might not be necessary. Good luck.

Sweetum
05-26-2011, 01:36 AM
I typically carry an electric rice cooker with me, a small one. I can cook veggies, rice, lentils (pre gorund at home), cream of wheat, pasta, and I'm sure there are other things too that I can't think of right now. I would cook it in the morning in the rice cooker and then pack it up in the funtainer. Would stay warm till lunch time. oatmeal sachets, read to eat, are great. Smoothies at jamba juice or similar too are a good snack/meal. Bread with slices of cheese, and meat if you are not vegetarian like us. Yogurt from trader joe's or other. hmmm, why do you say instant oatmeal is not healthy? because of the sugar? maybe try cooking oatmeal in the rice cooker, if you are going that route. bananas are a great snack. Oh, I also carried a lot freeze dried fruit. Also, I think TJ's instant macNcheese are popular here although DS hates them. I'm not a fan of feeding ramen to my kiddo, but if you don't mind one meal of ramen, that's another option.

ETA: forgot to mention, nut butter with whole grain bread. try not to stress out about individual full-meals, but try to give as many heavy snacks as you can.

Kira's Mommy
05-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Thank you very much ladies. You are very helpful!!!

rin, I'm not really an anti-restaurant type:) I usually find it hard to find something healthy for her in inexpensive restaurants (too salty, too fried, full of preservatives etc) and I cannot afford to go out to "normal" restaurants 3 times a day. But I do plan on a few outings. She LOVES Japanese noodles soup and is usually very well behaved.

My other concern is that she gets easily constupated from some restaurant "adult" food. She's too used to everything steamed, creamy and boiled... So I have to be careful with adult food.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm just worried because it's our first kitchenless trip:)

ptimimo, thanks for the tips! I'm definitely packing the electrical plugs! There won't be a microwave so I'm thinking of bringing our electrical kettler.

sunshineandme, THANK YOU for the rice cooker idea! It's EXACTLY what I need to prepare meals she's used to. I cannot remember why I though instant oatmeal wasn't healthy... must have read about it in some radical baby food book:) I think we'll definitely try it this time.

It's really annoying that normally my work would pay for my restaurant meals. I could have chosen "healthy" restaurants and share my meals with DD and just pay for our nanny's meal. This conference fee includes (good quality, hot)meals that are served for participants only in a separate dining room with guest speakers etc. I cannot bring the baby and the nanny to that dining room even if paid for my nanny's meal... Ugh...

Anyways, thank you SO much ladies. I feel a bit more prepared now.